Final drive oil amount

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

winkeldc
Basic User

Final drive oil amount

Post by winkeldc »

I know the most likely answer is to drain the old oil and refill with the 180ml but . . .

So last fall I lost the final drive bearing. Not thinking murphy would rear his head, I didn't think to replace the speedo sensor o-ring and washer(? not actually sure that what is referring to, but was on the part diagram so the dealer ordered) when replacing the fluid. Never even crossed my mind. I had the final drive removed because my insurance company required me to take the bike to the dealer to process a trip interruption claim, so when I refitted the drive, I used the speedo sensor as the fill point since that was already out. When I did the 600 mile fluid change recommended by the shop, I just didn't think to use the forward fill point because my last time through had just used the speedo sensor and I was in a hurry that day. Well, sprung a leak that looks like its coming from the speedo sensor. I have ordered the new parts, but I thought I read somewhere that 180ml takes the fluid level up to just below the drain bolt threads with the final drive back in position. Is this true? Could I replace the parts and then just fill the drive up to just below the drain plug? The more write ups I have read from the experienced members always measure and fill, so I am assuming that wherever I read about the level being about thread high must be mistaken or wishful thinking.

I am guessing that the answer is to drain and just refill with the correct amount, but I thought I'd ask while I am waiting for the parts to arrive.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Final drive oil amount

Post by mogu83 »

Your correct. Using the suggested amount is usually the best idea.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
winkeldc
Basic User

Re: Final drive oil amount

Post by winkeldc »

Thanks! I appreciate it. Makes me feel better that I am not throwing away good oil for no reason.