Seat latch cable has broken

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Seat latch cable has broken

Post by Terry Kronlund »

2010 R1200R cable to seat latch has broken. I got the seat off but I am having difficulty disassembling the key latch to replace or possibly having someone make me a new cable. Does anyone know how to dissemble the key lock mechanism? I do not have a shop manual. I believe I have seen where people have added a shop manual on this forum before but I have yet to find it.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Seat latch cable has broken

Post by dbrick »

On my '07, the latch is held in place by conventional Torx screws, which come right out. However, Realoem.com shows the latch mechanism held in place by "oval-head screw with anti-rotation lock." The realoem page is here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=46_1071.

I imagine those are screw heads with ramped slots so the screws cannot be unscrewed. I think you'll have to slot the heads manually (perhaps with a Dremel or a hacksaw) so you can remove them.
Last edited by dbrick on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Post by Terry Kronlund »

Thank you for your response. I had removed all the screws except the two outside ones. They must be hide by the tail rack supports. I thought I would have to remove the tail rack to perform the removal. But I have a trip planned for sunday to ride a week into Oregon, so I just wanted to find a way to get the seat off repeatedly. So I have a shoe string tied to it. LOL It works. So I will dive into it when I get back. I do hope you are wrong about the safety screws :-(
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Good temporary fix!

I was looking at the latch end, where the hook grabs onto the seat pan. I don't know how the other end of the assembly (where the lock is located) fastens in place. Maybe you'll get lucky.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Post by Terry Kronlund »

No safety screws! After I removed the side case racks I found the screws I needed to remove to remove the assembly and get to the latch lock, Once removed I asked around until I found a guy that was able to put a cable inside the housing with the proper ends. $20 instead of the $88 BMW wanted. Thanks for your help David.
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

You're welcome, Terry. Glad it worked easily.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R