TPM

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Terry Kronlund
Basic User

TPM

Post by Terry Kronlund »

This post is for the DIY riders with TPM that are not working. The easy way to keep them functioning is to buy your tires and new TPMs from the BMW dealer and have them replaced every time you replace your tires. Me, always trying to save money, buys his tires from Cycle gear and has them replace the tires. Saves me over $250. If I was to spend more money I would buy the new TPMs from BMW and have them put in the new ones when I replace the tires and take the bike to BMW for them to Wake Up the TPM. They charge a 1/2 hour service fee for this. I really wanted to save money so I purchased the ones from China. Problem with them is that the batteries are not always at full charge and the computer does not recognize them. So you need to make sure that you get the 8 digit number off of them prior to installing them. Even then you need a GS911 to "wake them up" or they have an alternative method of waking them up letting out the air in the tires to wake them up and gets the computer to recognize them. I don't know if this works because I did not get the 8 digit number before installation and the batteries were to low to function. So thanks to the internet I found that an TPMs reader from older Chevys does work to read the sensor and connects it to the computer. Works great. But you still need good batteries. So using the internet and youtube videos I learned how to get the old batteries out of the sensor and got the new sensors to work.
Since the computer already recognizes the original sensors I have been told that replacing the batteries in those will work out fine without needing a GS911. So if you have a GS911 and the TPM SENSOR tool you can use the GS911 to get the new sensors woke up prior to installing them. If they wake up the the GS911 them can use the extra set of tires area to monitor them. I guess this feature is for those that have two sets of wheels and tires. If you do this prior to installation you can find out if the batteries have enough charge to work properly. That is what I did when I put in the new batteries to make sure it was all functioning prior to installation. Unfortunately I had to have the tire removed to put in the sensor with the new batteries in. Since I have not seen to many post on this subject I am assuming that most owners go the easy, more expansive way, of having BMW handle the whole thing. Maybe the smarter way to go. I have learned the hard way. I will put new batteries in my old sensors that are already recognized by the computer. With new batteries every time the TPM should work without anymore trouble. Hopefully this has been informative and not just plan confusing.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: TPM

Post by mogu83 »

Good info - anything that keeps the money in my pocket and not in the dealers cash register is a good thing. I understand that they have to pay bills and make a living BUT sometimes the costs for parts and labor are a 'little' ( :D ) out of line.
Plus you get to learn how something works if you can do it yourself, any knowledge, even if you never use it again,is worth having.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358