Cager hit me. 2009 R12R seems to be totaled

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Cager hit me. 2009 R12R seems to be totaled

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Happy to be mostly ok, but last sunday on my way to church, a Ford Explorer ran a red light and I went into his right front quarter panel. According to repair shop,it's at least $4k in parts, not including shipping and labor, so bike will probably be totaled. One front fork, tank and rotors , and steering damper are all toast. Had 22K miles on the bike, recent tune up and new tires but at least I'm OK. had $1k deductible and 1K in accessory coverage which will be about $500. KBB lists trade in value at $5100.

Some questions.

1. Will insurance offer me the $5K minus the $1k deductible for the bike?
2. I have heard the insurance company may either let me have the bike after they give me the $ or offer it to me for a small amount of money. The tank, engine, shocks, --basically everything from the seat back are all in good shape though right swing arm has some scrapes which seem to be cosmetic. I have bought parts from Beemer Boneyard before but never sold to them. betweeen the engine, seat, luggage rack, shocks, wheels, tires, handle bars and other parts I have to think it's at least $2k retail. Any idea on how beemerboneyard might work? I'm only 25 miles from them, so maybe they'd pick it up and make me an offer to part out the bike?
3. I paid $900 for a years worth of insurance on August 7th. Will insurance company partially reimburse me for unused portion? Or at worst apply some of it to next policy?

Tough email to write for sure, but I'm looking at the big picture. Any answers are appreciated.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Cager hit me. 2009 R12R seems to be totaled

Post by dbrick »

Sorry to hear about your collision. Glad you weren't hurt.

I'll guess that your insurance will offer you what they think the bike is worth, less your deductible. They may well assert it was (just pre-collision) worth less than you think it was worth. You could prepare for this negotiation by gathering information about bike sales, not just listing prices in for-sale ads.

Don't know what Beemer Boneyard will do. They're straight shooters, and have been around awhile. Call 'em up and find out, or — when you have a new machine — ride up and ask them in person.

If you now have no bike and cancel your bike insurance, the company should pro-rate a refund based on how long the policy was in force. If you're going to replace the bike, you might choose to leave the policy in place to ease your way forward, rather than having to start from scratch with a new insurance application. I'd call the insurance agent and ask.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

If the forks or frame suffered any damage it's almost a sure thing that they will total it. It will be interesting to see what they want for it.
Also consider contacting a lawyer that handles motorcycle accidents, even if you don't have personal damage they might be able to make the path to a new machine easier. A call doesn't cost anything and there is no obligation. If the guy ran a red light he doesn't deserve a break, a second sooner or later could have cost you your life, forget the mister nice guy thing. I don't know what State your in but in Jersey motorcycles don't come under the no-fault rules and it's for sure the other guy is at fault. Just a thought.

Good to know your OK - Good luck with finding a new bike.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

thank you Harry and David for advice!