Has anyone mounted a half fairing on an R1100R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

WineGuyD
Basic User

Has anyone mounted a half fairing on an R1100R?

Post by WineGuyD »

I want to mount a Ducati 900ss style half fairing on my 1996 R1100R, I've found several offerings but none come with mounting hardware. Additionally, given that it is fixed mount fairing and doesn't pivot with the front fork, where would the mounting points be? Any and all advice would be welcome.
Last edited by WineGuyD on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eli the wine guy
RSMike
Basic User

Re: Has anyone mounted a half fairing on an R1100R?

Post by RSMike »

1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

I too mounted an emgo over the winter - I've been very happy!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30795

It mounts via the headlight screws, and I've had no issues with it. My friend who also has an R11R made some extra mounts out of aluminum - they screw in to the handlebars, there are threaded holes on the bottom of each handlebar.
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

jmckeown wrote:I too mounted an emgo over the winter - I've been very happy!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30795

It mounts via the headlight screws, and I've had no issues with it. My friend who also has an R11R made some extra mounts out of aluminum - they screw in to the handlebars, there are threaded holes on the bottom of each handlebar.
I saw your post, it was the one that convinced me that the emgo fairing looks good on the R, :-), You were lucky having a black bike, saved you the bother of trying to color match, It looks great!

From the time I fitted one to the R65 a couple of years ago, I think that the emgo fairing might be available this side of the pond, but at such a ridiculous mark up on the US price, its way cheaper to source one from the US even with shipping. There are loads on offer on eBay and believe it or not I ended up buying mine also through chaparralmotosports all the way from San Bernardino, as they had one of the best shipping prices to Ireland. Mine eneded up costing about $100 because of shipping, but still a bargain.

That is a good tip from your friend about the handlebar mount. I found with the headlight mount alone there was a bit too much rotational movement for my liking, even though I never road tested it on this bike with those mounts alone, on the R65 I did and felt it vibrated a bit too much. So, right now I cable tied the last two screen to fairing mounting holes back to the bars to eliminate any movement, its very effective if a bit ugly from the riders view. I will check out that idea from your friend. Love to see a picture of his mounting if you could get one.
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
Inspectordan
Basic User

Post by Inspectordan »

[/img]http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/bmw ... 998-04.htm
They make a fiberglass type to be painted and offer a carbon fiber for $$$ more. The wind screen is from Zero Gravity to fit a R 90 and all hardware for R1100r stock bars. They are in Vista California, North San Diego County.
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Late reply (and I need to work up pics!)
But I remounted my fairing yesterday with the supports coming from the handlebars.
On the bottom side of the aluminum, right before you get to the grip/black part, there is one threaded hole on each side of the bars (m6/1.00, I believe)

I bought a 2'x0.5" piece of aluminum from lowes.
I rounded the end, then drilled a hole in it to mount it to the handle bar. I then put the end with a hole in it in a vise and rotated it 90 degrees.
I then bolted it to the bike, checked for length & cut. Once I cut, I remounted, and marked where the aluminum hit the fairing, at that point, the aluminum needed to bend about 20 degrees. Once that bend is made (using vise and eyeballing it) I put it back on the bike, marked it for a screw hole where the hole in the fairing is for the windshield, drilled, and remounted.

I also replaced all the hardware on the fairing with stainless steel and new rubber washers. After a year, the hardware that came on the emgo was starting to rust.

I'll try to get some pics soon! I'm really happy with the results - total I have around $80 in the fairing. $50 for the fairing and $30 from lowes for all the stainless hardware and aluminum material.
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see the photos, please try to show details of the mounting points.

Thanks!

Eli
Eli the wine guy
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Here are some pics:

Bike:

You can see in this pic where I tapped the little hole in the frame to mount a 2x usb power outlet - works great!

I also mounted my heated jacket/glove controller inside the fairing
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

SWEEEEET!!!!!! Very clever install and the bike looks perfect! Besides the fact that I'm lusting for those spoked wheels, the top case set up is really impressive...can you give me more details on that? How did you mount it, what brand etc.

Your fairing mounting solution has given me some fresh ideas, I'm actually looking to mount a half fairing (like a ducati 900) so I'll need more supports and mounting points, but either way your aluminum bar solution looks solid.

Thanks again for the photos...and please fill me in on the top case.

TTFN
Eli
Eli the wine guy
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Hey Eli,

I'll swap ya front wheels! The 18f/17r is as silly as the 17f/18r on the cast wheels (want to get to a 17" front wheel)

The top case is a Shad 42L I believe. I purchased an extra pillion seat, then mounted the case securely to it, I've had it on for a year and it's been great. When my wife wants to go on a ride with me, I just swap the pillion seat back on. Simple!
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

jmckeown wrote:Hey Eli,

I'll swap ya front wheels!

Are you serious or just being facetious? I would definitely consider a swap on the front wheels and then I'll figure out a solution for the back(I don't want to go down to 17") Let me know.

Brilliant solution on the pillion, I have an extra pillion pan(minus padding/cover) for exactly a project like this. I love the utility of being able to swap different solutions on in a minute.

Eli

BTW: Just curious, why do you want to go down to 17" on the front, what's the benefit?
Eli the wine guy
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

I'd like to go down to a 17" so I can run the new pilot road 4 tires.
Also, I commute daily, basically any time is above 30°f so my bike gets dirty - the cast wheels would be a little easier to keep clean.
(Though I agree with you that the spokes look better)

I have a buddy with the 11r with cast wheels. Let me swap them both ways and see if there are any hang ups.

Does your bike have abs?
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

jmckeown wrote:

Does your bike have abs?

Yes...has ABS. Not that you want it, but I just put new Conti Trail Attacks on the bike. Great tires!
Eli the wine guy
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

jmckeown wrote:The top case is a Shad 42L I believe. I purchased an extra pillion seat, then mounted the case securely to it
If you get a chance can you post a few detailed pics of the Shad(SH40 Cargo BTW) and how you mounted the base plate: Doesn't the Beemers grab handle block the key hole? I definitely wan to copy your set up on this one.

Thanks!

Eli
Eli the wine guy
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Hey Eli, I'll get some pics soon.

To get it to work, I removed the cover from the seat, then shaved the foam down and shaped it to be 'concave' to fit the sh40 well.
I set the base on & marked the holes, then drilled & attached them with big fender washers underneath the seat - I did lose the use of my tool pocket below the seat.

The key goes in JUST below the grab handle - it really is a perfect fit if you get it just right.
I actually had to trim the plastic on one side of the key to get it to slide in but it works!

The nice part about the shad luggage is you don't HAVE to lock it, and I usually don't - so it is easy to get the case open (I know some cases require a key to open at any time)
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

I love the idea of the pillion becoming a modular accessory holder. I have a spare pillion pan(took the cover and foam off), this weekend I dug out my Nelson Rigg 30/40L soft bag that I stopped using because it was so complicated to strap on to my bike and strapped it around the pillion pan and voila! On and off in seconds. I'm going to get a Shad and do the same. BTW, the Rigg completely covers the bare pan so it looks clean.
Eli the wine guy
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Thanks for sharing! My bike will look a lot like yours by the end of Winter...
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Thanks man!

here are some more pics of the top case:

WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

Wow, really tucks in nicely between the grab bar and the back of the front seat pad. I was just about to bid in an SH40 like yours on eBay but ended up winning an SH48 for less money...but I know I'm in for a challenge to make it fit as it is both longer and wider. As I mentioned, I've got a bare pillion pan to work with so probably will have to rig some spacer to lift the top case enough to clear the grab bar...or just remove the grab bar all together.

Between your fairing and the top case your bike has just the right balance of form and function...enjoy! Oh, and thanks for all the pics!!!
Eli the wine guy
Waver
Basic User

Post by Waver »

Very nice idea

I am looking for a similar solution for my own bike. I find the original solutions looking terrible. Do you have a picture of the complete bike?
just for the esthetics? :D