Has anyone mounted a half fairing on an R1100R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

WineGuyD
Basic User

Re: Has anyone mounted a half fairing on an R1100R?

Post by WineGuyD »

Waver wrote:Very nice idea

I am looking for a similar solution for my own bike. I find the original solutions looking terrible. Do you have a picture of the complete bike?
just for the esthetics? :D
Are you asking me(wineguyd) or jmckeown?
Eli the wine guy
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Go to instagram.com/jmckeown88

You'll see a bunch of pics of my bike, my guitars, and my dog, haha.
Waver
Basic User

Post by Waver »

Tanx ;-)
hookembevo
Basic User

Post by hookembevo »

I did an airtech fairing last year, and I'm really happy with it.

WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

...and another Anniversary Edition with spoked wheels! I'm so jealous!
Eli the wine guy
hookembevo
Basic User

Post by hookembevo »

Actually, it's slightly different than the anniversary edition. This is the R1100rl, which was only offered in 2001 from what I can tell. The main difference (I think) is that it doesn't have the stickers on the side covers and elsewhere, and that it's a couple of years newer.

Also, here's a link to the fairing. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/bmw ... 998-04.htm. It's a copy of the R90s fairing, and even uses the same windscreens.
Waver
Basic User

Post by Waver »

This is how my fairing looks

Pretty nice I would say. But it would even look better with spoke-wheels
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

mine is the '01 r1100rl as well. Came with the cross spokes, chrome mirrors, chrome cylinder head covers, and no abs I believe.
A lot of places cut off the r1100r in 2000, but it was still around 1 more year.
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Well - scored a 3sp front wheel w/ rotors off ebay for $250.
They're a straight swap (for a non-abs bike, anyway)

So now I can run a 17" tire front & rear - I'll probably pick up a 5sp rear down the road, but for now I'm happy to get to run pr4's front & rear.
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

jmckeown wrote:Well - scored a 3sp front wheel w/ rotors off ebay for $250.
They're a straight swap (for a non-abs bike, anyway)

So now I can run a 17" tire front & rear - I'll probably pick up a 5sp rear down the road, but for now I'm happy to get to run pr4's front & rear.

Want to sell the front spoked wheel?
Eli the wine guy
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

For now I may keep it and throw knobblies on it.
Its off a non-abs bike - not sure if it would play nice on your bike?
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Based on jmckeown's posts, I went ahead and bought the Emgo fairing. Got it mounted up on Tuesday night and am quite happy with it. There is a lot of motion and I'll be fabricating some brackets to the handlebars as well.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Hey John,

Hope you like the emgo. With the brackets my fairing is dead stable - at least up to 100 mph anyway...
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

jmckeown wrote:Late reply (and I need to work up pics!)
But I remounted my fairing yesterday with the supports coming from the handlebars.
On the bottom side of the aluminum, right before you get to the grip/black part, there is one threaded hole on each side of the bars (m6/1.00, I believe)

I bought a 2'x0.5" piece of aluminum from lowes.
I rounded the end, then drilled a hole in it to mount it to the handle bar. I then put the end with a hole in it in a vise and rotated it 90 degrees.
I then bolted it to the bike, checked for length & cut. Once I cut, I remounted, and marked where the aluminum hit the fairing, at that point, the aluminum needed to bend about 20 degrees. Once that bend is made (using vise and eyeballing it) I put it back on the bike, marked it for a screw hole where the hole in the fairing is for the windshield, drilled, and remounted.

I also replaced all the hardware on the fairing with stainless steel and new rubber washers. After a year, the hardware that came on the emgo was starting to rust.

I'll try to get some pics soon! I'm really happy with the results - total I have around $80 in the fairing. $50 for the fairing and $30 from lowes for all the stainless hardware and aluminum material.
I implemented a very similar solution based on your original suggestion, Mine is not quite as neat as yours ( I did not hide the bend in the aluminium strip so well), however its 100 times neater and also rock solid compared to my first cable tie effort. So thanks again for the original tip from you and your friend, its a great solution. I have not checked in here in a while, but I can see from the recent posts that lots of other folks like the idea also. =D>

Hey, Waver, love your fairing, has a hint of R100RS about it. What is it exactly?
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Nice work mike!
How do you like the Oxford heated grips? I'd like to add some to my bike (Oxford or some other after market brand)
Do you find they can be installed fairly neatly?
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

jmckeown wrote:Nice work mike!
How do you like the Oxford heated grips? I'd like to add some to my bike (Oxford or some other after market brand)
Do you find they can be installed fairly neatly?
That is a good question about how I like the heated grips, the truth is, since buying the bike 8 months ago I have never tried them. A couple of reasons why:

(1) The main one, my ABS fails the voltage check on startup regularly, I suspect the battery needs replacement, so the extra load of the heated grips seems best avoided.
BTW, whenever the ABS fails on startup I leave the bike running for 30 seconds or so, stop and restart and then it almost always passes the voltage check.

(2) I'm not the biggest fan of heated grips, I think a really effective pair of hand guards/protectors are all around a more effective solution, protecting the backs of your hands from the worst of the wind chill. Three of the 4 BMW's I have owned came with heated grips, but if it had been my choice I would not have bothered. My 2012 F650GS has convinced me even more, that bike does a voltage check also on startup and if the voltage is below a threshold value ( not sure what) it disables the heated grips rather than the ABS for that ride. Since new I have found the (factory) heated grips on that bike consequently work only 50% of the time, depending on the state of battery charge. There is at least one thread about the issue on one of the F650 forums, apparently I am not alone in experiencing this issue.

But anyway, back to the Oxford grips, I was riding the R the 6 miles to the local honda shop for tyres yesterday and it was a chilly morning ( about 2C), I was almost tempted to try them but resisted, :D , maybe I will be tempted try them soon, ;-), though in the colder weather I am more inclined to ride the F, the higher Touratech screen makes it a much more comfortable ride.

As for the installation, I can't tell you how difficult or otherwise, but it really is a neat installation and looks relatively straight forward with the cables running neatly under the tank back to the battery. The PO had all work on the bike done at the main BMW dealer, he even convinced them to fit the Oxford grips, I would not have believed it except the receipt for the work is in the bundle he supplied, They charged him €86 ( 13 x BMW AW charge units, which is 13 x 6 minute units of work) for the installation.
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Just an update after a few months of use.

Overall satisfied with the fairing, but not happy that all the screws have started to rust. I'll be pulling them out and either cleaning and repainting, or replacing them with stainless.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R