R1100R tubular bar conversion

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

neutralwan
Basic User

R1100R tubular bar conversion

Post by neutralwan »

Mike here in Minnesota, just acquired a 1998 R1100R yesterday. I love the bike, however, I would like to fit a lower, S-type handlebar as the OE configuration is a bit high for me. I would welcome thoughts and experiences in fitting an alternate handlebar set-up.
jmckeown
Basic User

Re: R1100R tubular bar conversion

Post by jmckeown »

Hey Mike,

Sorry we're a slow section of the board! I'd be very curious to know how many r1100r's are still out there!

I don't have any experience with a handlebar swap on the 11r, but I've seen the parts online - a simple google search should help you find what you need.
garraper
Basic User

Post by garraper »

A 1150 rider crashed his bike and replaced the stock bars with a top tree and bars from a gs.we both were at a bike show at a cranberry festival in boardentown NJ .Also get many inquiries about the r1100r i ride..
garyc
Basic User

Post by garyc »

Hi, I am new to this forum and was looking through and saw this thread about handlebars. When I figure out how to upload and post photos I will show you what I did to my R1100RT. Thanks Gary C.
Since I was 13 yrs. old, I eat, drink, sleep, live, love, and learn MOTORCYCLES. I am 55 now.
garyc
Basic User

Post by garyc »

Well I think I have the picture thing worked out. I have an R1100RT that I wanted a little bit forward seating position to put a little more of my body weight on the front end. I ride a little aggressive sometimes and noticed the front tire would slide in the corners. I bought a plate that mounts to the upper triple tree that has mounts for 7/8" h-bars. I am not sure what model this plate was made for, I assume one of the on/off road model R1100's. To keep the bar ends out of the fairing I had to use some set backs I pulled off an old R100/7. This didn't move me too much from the seating provided by the stock bars but just enough to achieve the goal I was seeking. One note, BMW handle bars are slightly smaller than off the shelf 7/8" h-bars. So it will take a little effort to get the controls to slide on smoothly. Hope this helps.

Since I was 13 yrs. old, I eat, drink, sleep, live, love, and learn MOTORCYCLES. I am 55 now.