Newbie questions about an 01 R1100R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

ajaxthedog89
Basic User

Newbie questions about an 01 R1100R

Post by ajaxthedog89 »

Hi all,

Just bought an 01 R1100RL. Pretty bike, but now I have found it seems the electrics have been messed with. When I hit the turn signal cancel button it seems to flash all the signal lights bright for a brief second when I hit it. Is that normal? Otherwise it does cancel as its supposed to.

Also, I don't seem to have the lift handle to get the thing up on the center stand. Did all R's have this or was it an option?

Thanks

Bill in Denver
hookembevo
Basic User

Re: Newbie questions about an 01 R1100R

Post by hookembevo »

I've got the exact same bike. There is no grab handle, but the loop in the frame for the passenger peg works well for the purpose of getting it on the center stand. If you have the owners manual, I think there's a little picture and everything.

Just went out in the garage to check my signals, and they definitely don't all flash when i hit the cancel. I'd check to see if they all flash when you cancel by hitting the other signal. If not, I'd suspect a something funky in the switch.

I agree. REALLY pretty bike. :D
ajaxthedog89
Basic User

Post by ajaxthedog89 »

Thanks Hook, I figured out the light issue today. Previous owner had installed a Kisan signal minder in place of the standard flasher relay unit. Luckily the original relay was there, just not plugged in. So when I switched the plug over to that relay everything now works as expected, and the hazard flashers work now too. Yipppeee!

I've been just grabbing the frame too, but on page 40 of my Rider's Manual it shows a guy looking like he's grabbing a handle down where I'd expect one to be. And on the next page's instructions for getting the bike on the center stand it says "Hold the lifting handle with the right hand", so I'd think there should be one there, but it ain't. Maybe it was an option or something.
combatcarry
Basic User

Post by combatcarry »

I'd love to have a Kisan signalminder. I can't imagine disabling it. You want to sell it to me for a great price? :)
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

The lift handle was available on the RT models as well as an aftermarket option. The Kisan signal minder is a great piece as it offers a self-canceling function which the stock relay does not. Unfortunately it is not produced any more ...

Best regards
Oliver
daytonaredeye
Lifer
Donating Member #: 667

Post by daytonaredeye »

Got the same bike as well and have always grabbed a frame section just above and to the rear of the left foot peg to pull up onto center stand. Never knew the aftermarket handle was an option but wouldn't have gone for it anyway. The frame section is easy enough to grab and have never had a problem and have had mine for 11 years now.

Quick comment to new 1100 owners. I highly recommend setting your browser to read the 1100 posts (this section) by post date in ascending order at least once. This takes you back to the earliest posts here, dating back to 2007, which is when I joined and was a newbie myself. Those early days of Q&A posts were invaluable to me at that time as I had never owned a BMW bike before.
West Georgia
'00 R1100R
Lifer # 667