Stage 1, project "The Shelter Dog" R1100R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

WineGuyD
Basic User

Stage 1, project "The Shelter Dog" R1100R

Post by WineGuyD »

Well it's been three years since I won this bike on ebay with a low ball bid, I had great plans but no funds. Finally this winter I took the plunge and started stage 1 on my "Shelter Dog" bike. I named it Shelter Dog because the R1100R seems to be an unwanted mutt, totally skipped over by all the aftermarket producers and abandoned like an unloved dog. But as we all know mutts can surprise you. I'm not sure where this bike falls into as far as category...naked street fighter perhaps? I thought of making it a cafe racer but the geometry is just not there. So my main goal, besides cosmetics, was to strip as much weight and extraneous components off as possible. The bike started at 518 pounds, so when I pulled off the stock exhaust system which weighed 44 pounds and replaced it with a GPR Deeptone from Italy weighing 7 pounds I got the bike down to 481lbs in one shot. Then I pulled the passenger footpeg assemblies, the grab bar, the two luggage rack bars, the charcoal canister, and the rear fender w/tail light for another 18 pound drop to 463lbs. Finally I swapped the 4 stock turn signal stalks for X-Arc micro LED lights which netted me another 4lbs off for a final weight of 459lbs. At 59lbs lighter the bike is really maneuverable, twisties have become a lot more fun.

On the cosmetics side I had the bike painted in Frozen Bronze Metallic which is a 2015 BMW M6 special order color. I complemented it with the use of Rustoleum "oiled bronze" accents on the headlight, instrument cluster, gas filler, and tank trim. The stock mirrors were replaced with bar end mirrors off a Thruxton and the grips are Tomaselli natural gum in Bourbon brown. The platinum bronze exhaust wrap was more for aesthetic appeal...if there is any performance gain I have yet to feel it. The seat was re-uphostered by Pirate Upholstery in Kingston NY who did a great job but the color was chosen to pair with the stock silver at the time, I'm going to change it to brown leather this summer. Lastly I swapped the Dunlop Road Attacks for Dunlop Trail Attacks which give me a little more confidence on our broken and uneven roads in Rockland County NY.

Stage 2, when the funds are available, will be to pull the entire instrument cluster and replace it with a Motogadget Motoscope Pro along with a tubular bar setup. When the riders seat is re-upholstered I will have the pillion stripped down to the pan and then fabricate a cowl in matching frozen bronze. These three swaps should level the horizontal lines of the bike enough to give a slight cafe racer look I'm hoping.

On the performance side I installed a Beemer BoneBox which is really a Techlusion, made by Dobeck. I haven't programmed it yet so it's running open right now(a bit rich). I welcome any advice on performance enhancements, I'm new to Boxer's and haven't worked on a bike in over 25 years...so be gentle ;-)
Eli the wine guy
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Stage 1, project "The Shelter Dog" R1100R

Post by sjbmw »

Way, way, way cool.

That bike is fantastic!
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

Sweeeet! I love that oiled bronze on the headlight / instrument cluster, somehow disguises the headlight bracket way better.

How is the sound from the GPR Deeptone, I bet its great, did it come with a connecting piece for the Bike?
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

that looks very nice. REALLY diggin that satin bronze look!!!!

unrelated note: Your bike looked familiar, I think it was your thread I was directed to, about poor mpg a few yrs ago? Im dealing with draggy brakes right now, and it was incredibly helpful. Just wondering if you had any more final thoughts?
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

sjbmw wrote:Way, way, way cool.

That bike is fantastic!

Thanks! Been waiting three years to post it since I only recently had the time and money to start mod'n the bike.
Eli the wine guy
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

RSMike wrote:Sweeeet! I love that oiled bronze on the headlight / instrument cluster, somehow disguises the headlight bracket way better.

How is the sound from the GPR Deeptone, I bet its great, did it come with a connecting piece for the Bike?
After playing with several combinations of DB killers I finally got the bike perfect...sounds like a ballsier version of a Thruxton now. Out of the box and with out the DB killers he exhaust sounded like open pipes, I ran the bike for several seconds then shut it off and didn't ride till the DB killers arrived 2 weeks later from Italy and China. The GPR came complete right up to where the two stock headers meet. Mounting and fitting was a cinch.
Eli the wine guy
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

peels wrote:that looks very nice. REALLY diggin that satin bronze look!!!!

unrelated note: Your bike looked familiar, I think it was your thread I was directed to, about poor mpg a few yrs ago? Im dealing with draggy brakes right now, and it was incredibly helpful. Just wondering if you had any more final thoughts?

Yep, that was my bike with the dragging brakes. The only comment is thank god BMW pulled the franchise from Bergen HD...I almost got killed because they did not bolt the front right caliper back on when I took the bike back from them. The caliper fell off at 60mph on the highway as I was exiting onto a helix. On second thought, another recommendation is change your brake hoses to stainless steel braided...they are your lifeline!
Eli the wine guy
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

WineGuyD wrote:
peels wrote:that looks very nice. REALLY diggin that satin bronze look!!!!

Yep, that was my bike with the dragging brakes. The only comment is thank god BMW pulled the franchise from Bergen HD...I almost got killed because they did not bolt the front right caliper back on when I took the bike back from them. The caliper fell off at 60mph on the highway as I was exiting onto a helix. On second thought, another recommendation is change your brake hoses to stainless steel braided...they are your lifeline!

OMG. thats not cool.

thanks. thats in my plans!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

I just decided to be pro-active and started a Facebook group page called BMW R1100R - The Shelter Dogs

Please drop in and post some pics(R1100R's ONLY!!!!) and comments.

Thanks!

Eli

https://www.facebook.com/groups/857879217580934/
Eli the wine guy
rdriver
Basic User

Post by rdriver »

I take it that the new exhaust eliminated the O2 sensor? Could not tell by the pics? What is that device sticking out between the tach and gauge cluster, GPS antenna, radar detector? I like the color, and a brownish color for the seat will look awesome. I have a 96 R and it is the best handling bike I have ever ridden. I would rather have the naked R than the RT any day. I have done some major engine work on mine, and not having to remove the tuperware makes most jobs on the R much easier. This is a great one person bike. I also like the bar mirrors, the stock ones are not good, the left one being almost useless. How much work was it to modify the mirrors? Can the original grips work with the new mirrors?
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

rdriver wrote:I take it that the new exhaust eliminated the O2 sensor? Could not tell by the pics? What is that device sticking out between the tach and gauge cluster, GPS antenna, radar detector? I like the color, and a brownish color for the seat will look awesome. I have a 96 R and it is the best handling bike I have ever ridden. I would rather have the naked R than the RT any day. I have done some major engine work on mine, and not having to remove the tuperware makes most jobs on the R much easier. This is a great one person bike. I also like the bar mirrors, the stock ones are not good, the left one being almost useless. How much work was it to modify the mirrors? Can the original grips work with the new mirrors?
Actually the GPR Deeptone exhaust has an O2 sensor port but you can leave it capped or use the sensor. I added a Beemer Bone Box controller(Dobeck Techlusion Gen3) which required the sensor so I refitted it. Sticking out was my EZ-Pass transponder mounted onto the end of the stock windscreen mount which also supports the Tach...I recently removed the mount/tach/transponder and will eventually remove the entire instrument cluster in favor of a Motogadget Motoscope Pro instrument. After trimming over 50 pounds off the bike I'm really enjoying the handling, twisties are a pleasure and the bike simply feels better. The mirrors are Triumph Thruxton OEM, I had to have a machine shop enlarge the screw hole by drilling it out and countersinking which intern let me use the bar end weights bolts to attach to the stock bars. But you end up with a 1" space between the mirrors and the grips...I temporarily filled it with grey pipe insulation foam wrap. Mounting the mirrors on the outside of the bar ends got me much improved peripheral vision...the old mirrors were too far in and could not see past my shoulders.

What engine work have you done so far? The last stage of this bike will be engine performance enhancements...right now working on shedding weight and cosmetics. BTW, I also removed the useless carbon canister(there's a great youtube "how to" video on this)

I started a group on Facebook dedicated to the R1100R...please join it and post! https://www.facebook.com/groups/857879217580934/
Eli the wine guy
rdriver
Basic User

Post by rdriver »

Its a long story about the engine work, but I will try to make it short. PO punched a hole in the lower case (off roading on an 1100) thus running it out of oil. I knew this before I bought it. Case was repaired. Test ride before purchase showed no sign of bearing wear. I ran it for 3 months before I killed it with my driving style. So off came the heads and barrels. Had a spun left rod bearing. Cought it before it ruined the crank. Replaced left rod and both sides rod bearings. Runs great now. Thought about putting 1150 heads on it but seemed too costly for what I would achieve by doing it. Nixed that idea. So for now just stock. But you know it is always fun to have a sleeper. Too bad it is not practicle for a turbo. If that was possible I would not be able to keep rear tires on it. Not a face book guy, but if you want to stay in contact send me your email address by personal message.

By the way I do like those mirrors. I have even thought about trying to mod the stock mirrors, (I know there are extender kits available but not my cup of tea) but have not had the energy to do it. Does not seem like it is worth the energy.
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Are the Thruxton mirrors bolt on?
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

smutny wrote:Are the Thruxton mirrors bolt on?

Yes and no, they come with a very narrow bolt(and hole) for the Thruxton bars so I had a local machine shop drill out, countersink and widen the opening to accommodate my bolts from the OEM bar end weights. Cost me $30.
Eli the wine guy