No parking tail light - works only while breaking!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hillar
Basic User

No parking tail light - works only while breaking!

Post by Hillar »

Hello

I'm 1997 R1100R owner from Estonia.

Anyways, I got my new Oilhead from Germany, but already encountering an issue.

Problem is the tail light doesn't burn as it should while engine is running/key is ignition position, but it works with brakes.

What could be the solution? I changed the burb and checked the fuses - also checked the connections around the tail light, everything seemed to be OK.

Thanks for help!
smutny
Basic User

Re: No parking tail light - works only while breaking!

Post by smutny »

Similar happened to me when I reconnected the wires wrong after shortening the rear fender. You might want to swap around plugs and make sure they are connected correctly.

Also, follow the wires their whole length and look for damage.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
Hillar
Basic User

Post by Hillar »

Found the solution in 2 days:) I started from back, checked all wires even took the fusebox off. Problem was in ingition wires - the previous owner had installed R1150R clocks and managed to break one of the lines with the plastic electric strip:)
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Hillar, Nice work!
Those P.O.S. crimp connectors are absolutely unacceptable as a way to make wire connections, because they end up cutting too many wire strands when the installer uses his pliers to install the slotted plate connector over the wire. Any/Every Farkle I get with those red or blue chunks in the kit, they immediately get tossed out! I use a wire stripper tool to part the insulation mid wire, then wrap the add-on wire around it and SOLDER the connection. Then a good blob of hot glue to insulate from shorts and a few turns of electrical tape with maybe a tiny ziptie to prevent the tape from unravelling on any important connection with operational movement.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--