broken clutch actuator arm - replacement

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Gregorsamsa
Basic User

broken clutch actuator arm - replacement

Post by Gregorsamsa »

Just returned from a trip to France when I lost the clutch on my Y2000 R1100R (46,000 miles) 50 miles from home, I thought the cable had gone but discovered that the alloy actuator arm had in fact snapped. On the Motorworks website they say these are prone to failure and offer a s/s replacement which I intend to fit.

Anyone out there replaced one of these and if so then the $64,000.00 question is can I do this without having to remove the swingarm? At present the bike is sitting in my garage on its wheels and I can see the arm and pivot/mounting bolt with a torch - it looks like it might be accessible.

A secondary question - if I have to remove the swinging arm - is: Can I remove the swinging arm without having to first remove the bevel box?

Any advice most welcome.

Cheers.
Gregorsamsa
Basic User

Re: broken clutch actuator arm - replacement

Post by Gregorsamsa »

Happy to say yes, you can change the clutch actuator arm without removing the swinging arm. Well, I have at least now removed mine and I reckon getting a replacement back on ought to be pretty much the reverse procedure. It was a bit fiddly, but not so bad once I had removed the rear wheel, shock absorber and exhaust end can. delighted to say that the securing / pivot bolt came undone very nicely and wasn't corroded at all. Now the really hard part: shelling out £90.00 for the improved stainless steel aftermarket part. Just hoping Motorworks have one in stock.