rookie question blown around

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

agboett
Basic User

rookie question blown around

Post by agboett »

I'm new to riding & got a 2002 r1150r. It seems I have a lot of turblance, wind noise, and get blown around even at 40 mph. Is this typical or is possibly the stock windshield on the bike. Sitting upright the top of the shield is at about my clavicle. I'm also using a Shark full face helmet which I know is not the quietest, but I like.

Any advice is appreciatted
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: rookie question blown around

Post by ICBMguy »

It sounds like your shield is too low for you and your head is sitting in the most turbulent air possible. Ideally the top of the shield should be a little lower than eye level so you can still look over top but it will provide actual protection from the wind. 6 inches higher or lower than what you've got is probably a lot smoother. Have you tried testing this by standing up on the pegs? Not for long term riding, but it will help you "feel" where the max turbulence over your shield is. Try lowering the seat height if your legs will take it, and maybe invest in a Laminar Lip. I've got on eon my BMW sport shield that makes a world of difference by moving the turbulence up and over your helmet. (plus it's cheaper than a whole new windshield). It's still a naked bike remember and will never be as smooth as one with a full fairing up front.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

curious, which shied do you have?

I have that issue when going fast in crosswind... with the sport shield.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Your height is the determining factor on any aftermarket shield, and picking the right shield can be as complex as picking the right spouse. I have tried the parabellum barn door variety, and have been using a MRA Vario with the adjustable lip for many years. But I am a short guy. If you are over 6ft tall, another set of metrics might apply.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.