Installed BMW GS 1200 2009 muffler in my R1100RT

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

rpicone
Basic User

Installed BMW GS 1200 2009 muffler in my R1100RT

Post by rpicone »

Hello everybody, good evening.

I'd like to share an experience I had today with my BMW R1100RT 97. I was looking for a replacement for the OEM exhaust just because it does not have a decent sound, it is heavy and is old (as the bike has 20 years of life...). I've purchased a Dominator exhaust ( from Poland ) with DB Killer which includes the pipe for eliminating the cat.
It is light, decent quality but... unfortunately even with the "DB Killer" installed I was pretty sure the police was just waiting for a chance to give me a fine, or worst, put me in a jail for a night due the loud noise #-o
So I had the idea to use the cat elim. pipe from the Dominator kit and adapt the GS 1200 2009 muffler on it. I bet you are curious to see how it looks, as well to hear how it sounds. Just finished the installation with some retries until fell satisfied with the results and went for a ride.
This is exactly how I imagined and should be! Beautiful sound at low rpm, strong and sport kind... then quiet for highways and long trips. =D> I felt the motorcycle more responsible by eliminating all those mufflers behind the engine and with a less restrictive K&N air filter. Will test it better on the road tomorrow and post more information later.
It is my first post in the forum, let me know if you have questions. I am just looking for people with same interest to share this experience as my wife does not seem so excited as I am with how the bike sounding and performing better now, haha.
Badgerdog
Basic User

Re: Installed BMW GS 1200 2009 muffler in my R1100RT

Post by Badgerdog »

I'd love to see and hear the results. Also, how hard was it to fit the 1200GS muffler to the Dominator cat eliminator pipe?
I very much liked the quietness of the stock muffler on my '96 1100R, but in the end, wasn't willing to continue looking at that giant tumor of a catalytic converter under the engine, so I ended up going with a GPR pipe which I order from the UK. Arrived in the US in about a week. I'm satisfied with the noise level, it's louder than stock, but obnoxious. Fit and finish are top notch. $1000 exhaust systems are just not in my budget, this was a little over $300 USD.
rpicone
Basic User

Post by rpicone »

Hello Badgerdog, greetings from Brazil!

Please find the link to the slide share w/ picures: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rpico ... slideshow/
I will post soon a video with the exhaust sound.

Hope you like!
Ricardo
rpicone
Basic User

Post by rpicone »

It was not hard to fit the new muffler with the Dominator cat elim. pipe at all. I had to cut the muffler pipe before where it starts the turn, you will notice it in the pictures.
What helped also is that the GS muffler has an adjustable belt where you can move it front and back to achieve a perfect fit.
Only concern I have it is the fact your bike is not RT model but R. I've checked a picture of your bike model and the OEM muffler position looks slight different.
On behalf of performance and sound it worth a try of you find a good deal in an used good condition GS 09 muffler. Let me know if you have any further question, I still owning a video with the new engine roar. I bought mine for about 165USD (600 BR_RL) here in Brazil.
Badgerdog
Basic User

Post by Badgerdog »

Greetings rpicone!
Thanks for posting the pictures. Good job on the install, it looks great. I'll have look and see how hard it is to find a stock 09 GS muffler, I like the way your's turned out, and best of all, you got rid of the catalytic converter.
Thanks again!