R11R Fuel Q-Ds?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

R11R Fuel Q-Ds?

Post by ICBMguy »

Hey folks, I've had the fuel lines on my 2000 1100R replaced after they were cracked and leaking, but since then I've wondered if anyone has retro-fitted the lines with quick-disconnects? Later model bikes have them but it's a serious PITA to use clamps on these lines to remove the tank, I'm paranoid I'll damage the lines. Has anyone done this? Tings to watch out for when doing so?
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
peels
Basic User

Re: R11R Fuel Q-Ds?

Post by peels »

It wont be any different than using a tube and clamps to join the lines, which is what I did when my QD's snapped.

doesnt bother me to unclamp them to remove the tank.

Assuming the 1100 had the same size fuel lines as 1150's, and you get the right QD, it shouldnt be difficult, nothing special to worry about, I wouldnt think. just make sure to use the metal QD's. :D
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
hookembevo
Basic User

Post by hookembevo »

I've been running a set from Beemer Boneyard for the last 10 years and they're awesome. They really come in handy when you need to do maintenance or even fill up the lawnmower in a pinch.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Because of the faulty design of the BMW OEM plastic QDs, it's the male part that usually snaps because of ageing, so you only need to buy the brass / chromed / ss male half of both pairs of the QDs. Maybe even only the male half of the high-pressure delivery fuel line. Cheaper than buying the full set.
Motorworks' relevant web-shop page explains all.

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... 0&spPage=4

I once found a U-Toob vid showing what happens riding along when the fuel line QD snaps. Turns the rider's right leg into a potential fire-bomb.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Found it again; it's a US gent called Roger with a K12 - a horrifying thought...
Thankfully for this demo of what happens when the Output QD snaps, the bike is on a trailer with a pal standing by with a portable fire-ex. :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTGMFmNG8AI

Imagine the result if he'd been riding along; a right leg fireball probably.
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Finally found a UK supplier of the magnificent US-manufactured Jiffy-tite® Quick Disconnects in lightweight non-snapping alloy - they're the very best-quality components but not cheap. Noticeably more expensive than replacing just the snap-prone plastic male half of the s*itty BMW items with a brass copy from the usual UK suppliers.
The firm is in 'that London' and is called Think Automotive Products. With their mark-up on the USA price, a pair of the fabulous Jiffy-tite QDs suitable for the Bemmer bikes with the crappy short-service-life plastic QDs is about £50 inc shipping. +44-208-568.1172
Last edited by sykospain on Mon May 08, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Finally found a UK supplier of the magnificent US-manufactured Jiffy-tite® Quick Disconnects in lightweight non-snapping alloy - they're the very best-quality components but not cheap. Noticeably more expensive than replacing just the snap-prone plastic male half of the s*itty BMW items with a brass copy from the usual UK suppliers.
The firm is in 'that London' and is called Think Automotive Products. With their mark-up on the USA price, a pair of the fabulous Jiffy-tite QDs suitable for the Bemmer bikes with the crappy short-service-life plastic QDs is about £50 inc shipping. +44-208-568.1172 is the correct phone #.
JimVonBaden
Basic User

Post by JimVonBaden »

I've never seen a BBY QD break. By the way, they are the metal versions of the same ones BMW uses, same manufacturer.