Need a bigger tank!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

rsc
Basic User

Need a bigger tank!

Post by rsc »

Apparently this new R1100R has the smaller, abs gas tank. Since it's a non-abs bike, I am less than happy with the more limited range. I see that a couple folks have fitted GS gas tanks and some other composite monsters that have gone out of production. So what is currently available to get me a couple hundred miles down the road before refueling?
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Re: Need a bigger tank!

Post by Railbender »

Never heard of an ABS gas tank. There is only one part number listed for the R1100R gas tank.
rsc
Basic User

Post by rsc »

There are two R bike gas tanks, but yes, only one p/n from what I gather. My 850R had the full-size tank for a regular capacity of about 5.3 gal when I filled it but this 1100R only gets to about 4.8 when I fill it to the same level. The bikes with the ABS brakes have the smaller capacity tank to leave room for the abs module under the tank. Some of the non-abs bikes also got the smaller tank too for some reason.
Railbender
Lifer

Post by Railbender »

The 850R and 1100R use the same tank, with a capacity of 21l (5.547 US Gal.) One part number = one tank!
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by boxermoose »

What I remember is that the capacity issue was more a poor conversion from liters to UK gallons and US gallons and the mix up that resulted from that.

One stock number, one tank
TANSTAAFL
rsc
Basic User

Post by rsc »

That may be, the imperial gallons and US gallon difference could be it. However, I distinctly remember putting more fuel into my R850 than I have with the R1100.

So, back to the original question of finding a source for a bigger tank. Anyone?
Railbender
Lifer

Post by Railbender »

How much fuel you put in depends on how much fuel is already in the tank. How do you determine when you need fuel?
I reset my trip meter when fueling.
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by boxermoose »

rsc wrote:That may be, the imperial gallons and US gallon difference could be it. However, I distinctly remember putting more fuel into my R850 than I have with the R1100.

So, back to the original question of finding a source for a bigger tank. Anyone?
Retrofit a R1100GS tank? - moving the oil coolers is the issue

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... gs.787413/
TANSTAAFL
rsc
Basic User

Post by rsc »

Railbender wrote:How much fuel you put in depends on how much fuel is already in the tank. How do you determine when you need fuel?
I reset my trip meter when fueling.
When I hear the fuel pump whine and run out, lean the bike over to the right and head for a gas station.

I watch the odometer based upon prior known mpg values,also double-check against the low fuel light (surely it can't be coming on at 160 miles, I should have another 30 mi...cough, sputter, stop, lean, get gas.) Now I know how much use able gas goes in. :/
rsc
Basic User

Post by rsc »

boxermoose wrote:
rsc wrote:That may be, the imperial gallons and US gallon difference could be it. However, I distinctly remember putting more fuel into my R850 than I have with the R1100.

Retrofit a R1100GS tank? - moving the oil coolers is the issue

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... gs.787413/
I have been thinking that that's the way to go, either the1150GS or GSA tank. Relocating the oil cooler shouldn't be too much of a problem, only making it look good. Of course, the seat's front lip would need to be reshaped to match the tanks lines.

I've seen that Evan Wilcox can bash out a custom tank for about the price of the bike. The Wüdo camel tank appears to have been a 2 unit deal and disappeared. Touratech has a 41l poly tank that IS available. And then there is the idea of a rear rack mounted aux tank plumbed into the tank.