2000 R1100R Surging and Bucking

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

lvgs
Basic User

2000 R1100R Surging and Bucking

Post by lvgs »

Just bought a 2000 R1100R from a close friend. Its a bike I know well; my friend has owned it since new and one that he has taken on several trips with me. Since picking it up, the surging/bucking has gotten to the point that it is unridable i.e. Safely. Here are some of the specifics:

1. It has ~34k kms
2. My friend put fuel stabilizer in the tank a week before I picked it up. He put "as much as indicated and then a little more"
3. While he has not kept any service records, he asserts it is up to date. Most servicing done a non-bmw/generic bike shop.
4. I have emptied the tank and added fresh fuel making no difference
5. When starting it, it will run roughly at idle and with throttle get progressively worse. It back fires, surges and when ridden, bucks to the point of almost throwing me off the bike
6. The ride home from his place was fine, however I do recall it running a little rough toward the end. On a subsequent ride, it was noticeably worse and the on my last ride, after changing the gas, it was at its worse. I had to turn around after ~1 km!
7. I intend to change the plugs and run some fuel injector clear through it

Tangentially, I changed the battery and began the process of replacing a faulty clutch switch. The wires to the switch have been clipped and I am trying to locate a long socket or other 11 mm spanner to remove the actual switch. NB: the switch is there primarily to allow you to start the bike in gear with the lever pulled and not be dependent on being in neutral to start. I don't believe either have any bearing on how it presently runs (if you can call it that).

Any thoughts on what else I might do before taking the bike in to a dealership would be greatly appreciated!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: 2000 R1100R Surging and Bucking

Post by sweatmark »

Effects of new spark plugs and/or injector cleaner (which would require some riding)?

Tangentially related to rough running:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19784&p=252989&hili ... le#p252989
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35241&p=254448&hili ... le#p254448
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Also if it has been sitting up for a while be sure and check for critters nesting in the intake system and the exhaust can. I have seen similar symptoms that were caused by the exhaust can being near full of dog food!

m
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Dollars to donuts the throttle cable has come out of it's holder on one of the cylinders, most likely the right one. It's supposed to be seated inside a little "cup" but is quite easy to unseat.

The thin black cable in this picture that ends with the serrated round cylinder.
http://s112.photobucket.com/user/cohiba ... t.jpg.html
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

follow smutny and sweatmarks advice. here is the EXACT issue they speak of.

then, coils.

or iv'e heard of the plugs on top of the fuel injectors being not seated correctly(no fuel to one cylinder randomly) DOUBTFUL, but possible.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Its been my experience that if the cables are as shown, your going have a very had time getting the engine to run enough to even ride it.

just say'in.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Not really, when I did a exhaust swap, I accidentally unhooked the right side. I assumed there as a problem with the exhaust, swapped them back and still had a rough ride. That's when I realize what the problem actually was. But I did go a mile or so with it unseated.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
kirby

Post by kirby »

5. When starting it, it will run roughly at idle and with throttle get progressively worse. It back fires, surges and when ridden, bucks to the point of almost throwing me off the bike
6. The ride home from his place was fine, however I do recall it running a little rough toward the end. On a subsequent ride, it was noticeably worse and the on my last ride, after changing the gas, it was at its worse.

This sounds like something other than an unseated throttle cable. Once the cable is unseated and you do manage to ride, you won't go far.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Looking forward to the OP's response.
Kirby's probably right - a progressive decline in runnability seems inconsistent with butterflies out of whack.
Blocked tank vent?
Charcoal canister particulate infestation?
Rotten luck?

R1100s are otherwise indestructible ... aside from transmission trouble.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

those things, plus other easy stuff.

water in the fuel? drain it.

bad spark plug cable shorting? or just not on the plug tight?

mine also ran once like that smutny. VERY poorly, but it ran. lol
lvgs
Basic User

Post by lvgs »

Apologies for not responding earlier, I was waiting for approval of the posting and failed to check back in.

You were absolutely right...the right side throttle cable was unseated!

However, this doesn't entirely address the decline in performance. It's certainly not as bad as it was when the cable was not correctly in its "cup", but still not optimal. I will check/replace the plugs, perhaps run some injector cleaner through with a fresh tank and go from there.

Thanks, very much, for the input!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

assuming the 1100 and 1150 arent TOOOOO different. Any decrease in performance could just be that now the FI has adjusted itself for the whonky THrottle Position and o2 sensor inputs.

do a motronic reset. pull the fuse for it (OR disconnect battery), leave it off for awhile. plug back in, turn key, crack throttle open gently and full close twice, turn key off.

:) see if that helps.
SmittyBlackstone
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by SmittyBlackstone »

Had an issue with my recently repaired r1100r.
Previous owner had disconnected the kickstand switch and jerry rigged a jumper that had an intermittent connection. restored proper connectivity and bucking stalling and surging have stopped.