ABS II Woes

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteDog
Basic User

ABS II Woes

Post by WhiteDog »

As you read this, please bear in mind I have very limited mechanical ability and practically no diagnostic skills, particularly electrical and ABS systems. So, here goes. Purchased a '96 R1100RT several months ago. The PO last year spent about $1900 at BMW shop for 48K and annual maintenance, including a new battery. The PO mentioned he seldom rode in the last year but kept the AGM battery on a battery maintainer, but I don't know if it was compatible with AGM batteries or not. I could only measure 12.4 volts after fully charging with my big 2 amp charger so I replaced it with a MotoBatt with higher CCA's and AH. So, today, after not cranking in over a week, I took the cycle out, it cranked, but the ABS lights began the alternating flashing thing. I read in the owners manual this typically happens with a weak battery "or other electrical interference." I also read that cutting the switch and restarting generally solves this. It did not fix mine. I even turned off my newly-installed radio antenna booster, to no avail. Further reading in the OM suggested a trip to BMW for repair. Before I drop a hundred for their diagnosis, I did some reading on this forum and quickly got bogged down into what other people have done to fix this problem. Some of the solutions are way over my head, so my question is "Can someone offer, in plain language, a road map for things to check", leaving BMW shop as a last resort.
1996 R1100RT Sierra Red
1995 K75 ABS Red
2014 CB1100 Std Black
2008 Gold Wing Black
Reside in NC
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: ABS II Woes

Post by sweatmark »

1. Remember that ABS light flashing continues after starting bike, until sufficient wheel movement allows for the ABS wheel sensor check.

2. Read this: http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html and save the website URL for general reference.

3. Regarding battery charging, AGM batteries, etc.: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34676; this topic is covered here and elsewhere.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
WhiteDog
Basic User

Re: ABS II Woes

Post by WhiteDog »

I'm beginning to think I have an electrical gremlin on this cycle. When I first cranked it today, instead of riding away, I ran it at fast idle for a minute or so to let the alternator charge back the battery from the cranking cycle, then turned off the switch. I then cranked it again and both lights were flashing together. I rode off and heard the ping and both lights went off. On the restart, something happened to my clock and it zeroed. Did I mention I hate electrical problems? Once I got to lunch and cut the cycle off, when I restarted later, it was back to the alternating flashing ABS lights again. No matter how many times I cut the switch and restarted, both lights would burn simultaneously, then switch to the alternating pattern. This is very frustrating to me.
1996 R1100RT Sierra Red
1995 K75 ABS Red
2014 CB1100 Std Black
2008 Gold Wing Black
Reside in NC