Transmission Busted

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

rayraypa
Basic User

Transmission Busted

Post by rayraypa »

:-k I have the Year 2000 R1100R. I brought it into the dealer, they opened it up and the transmission (all of it) needed to be replaced. They said it would cost upward of 5k. I decided that with an 18-year-old bike it wasn't worth it. It's now sitting in my garage and I have no idea what to do with it.
If I can get it fixed for a lower amount, I would consider that. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Re: Transmission Busted

Post by Railbender »

Try Anton Largiader, he is THE MAN for that sort of work. http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Go on E bay and look for a trans. I've seen them for around $450 to $600 typical. I bought an 1150 trans out of a '04 w/ 5.000 miles for $600 for a friend. A good overhaul is around $2,000 +-.
They are out there allot of the time from parted out insurance write offs.
Be patient and one will turn up.

Just my .02c
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
rayraypa
Basic User

Post by rayraypa »

Thanks for the tips. I will check it out.
rayraypa
Basic User

Post by rayraypa »

I am wondering if I should just scrap the bike. I had it for a over five years and put about 40k on it. It was sitting in a garage for 7 years before that, never moving. It is an 18 year old bike. There could be a bunch of other things that will tank soon. I just don't know. Any thoughts appreciated.
kirby

Post by kirby »

That's always an option. If the engine is still good its probably worth saving, but then if you don't ride it? If you can do the work yourself and find a cheap used trans,its then an operational machine and you can get something for it.
Subjective.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

rayraypa wrote:I am wondering if I should just scrap the bike. I had it for a over five years and put about 40k on it. It was sitting in a garage for 7 years before that, never moving. It is an 18 year old bike. There could be a bunch of other things that will tank soon. I just don't know. Any thoughts appreciated.
R1100** transmissions can be problem:
http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+r11 ... n+problems

I had a 2000 R1100R with the 2nd/3rd shift problem. Sold it before I read about solution options.
Aside from the transmission, those early Oilheads are bulletproof - see https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ ... es.889016/

Just bought a 15 year old Oilhead (Rockster) with 9k miles that has obviously been sitting unused and unloved for years. But I've ridden 1500 miles on it since purchase 2 weeks ago, and see no reason why the bike won't be useful for another 15 years and 150k+ miles. The later Oilheads are subject to more potential problems than your version. This month I plan to take it apart for cleaning, inspection, maintenance, and modification.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby

Post by kirby »

I actually liked my R1100GS better than the 1150GS. The 5 speed GS has the airhead GS trans with a useful low ratio 1st gear. If I were to go back to a GS I would look for a 1100 or a 100GS.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER