F800RR

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

F800RR

Post by Boxer »

Just in from Dean...over at another board.

I've learned if its from Dean, its reliable.
I think I'm waiting to trade in the F650 on this little baby.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: F800RR

Post by Buckster »

That's a pretty hot lookin' bike!
When do they get here?
Buckster '03R
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

I read on another forum that this is a one off custom made by a dealer. Someone brought up the point that BMW wouldn't produce something with small, cheap roundels that the ones on this bike. Also, that engine is ugly, it should be black IMO, but I hope I'm wrong and I really hope they build this with a black engine, because that is one nice looking bike.
Bryan
2010 R1200R
Bry
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Bry »

Gotta admit with those wheels and the naked look, with the 800cc motor it'd be a great little package

I'd give thumbs up for it!

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

This photo is not from the "one-off" collection. This is straight from Dean Lear who lives in Showlow, Arizona and has an inside line on what's coming down the pike, from his relationship with San Jose BMW in CA....and each and every time he has given us a little view of what was coming, it has been the real thing. If I had to lay money on it, I bet a huge amount that this was the real thing. \:D/
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Sort of disappointing news. I was so hoping it would be belt drive.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Click on NEWS and its the 3rd article down.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Here is an official BMW photo from the EICMA Press Kit

And here is the link to the entire Press Kit with more photos

http://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub ... F700466DBB
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

This is near heresy, I know, but Kawasaki markets a parallel twin in the US in three flavors: Ninja 650R faired medium sport tourer, Versys medium dual sport, and ER6N medium naked (available in Europe for several years/ available in US January 09). The Kawasaki twin is a 360 deg. crank firing order which gives it a thumper feel at low revs and builds nice even power across the band. The suspension features conventional forks, a unique rear strut, petal wave brake rotors with two piston calipers, chain drive and a purpose designed spar frame. The bikes are under 450 pounds, easy to own and maintain, well built and reliable. Priced in the $6-7k dollar range, they are a value compared to the BMW F800 series. The F800's do feature better quality engineering and parts of the frame, suspension, drive line, brakes, and electrics at twice the costs. The BMW's belt drive (S/ST) and ABS system as well as the CANBUS electrical approach and the overall frame design and integration are superior to Kawasaki. Whether the durability and down the road values are worth the premium is an open question.

Just thought I'd throw that out so folks could compare these F series bikes to something really similar besides the Suzuki SV650/V-Strom (a non-comparison in my eyes) or the Street Triple (best overall mid-sized bike in the world right now, but not a comparative one), Ducati Monster (exotic) or Aprilia Shiver (no dealer or parts network in US).

Enviro regs, world recession, and global economic changes in money values for imports to the US market indicate that the mid-sized market is poised for good growth at the expense of the liter bikes and superbike sizes. 55 y.o. muscles, bones, and joints dictate that I start riding bikes under 500 lbs and dwindling dollar strength requires greater than 55 mpg.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

I have just purchased an F800GS and I can tell you the 800 twin is quick, smooth and eager. Runs good, and sounds good.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Double-sided swingarm ...
Chain ...
conventional telescopic forks ..
How is this a BMW ? Or, rather, it might as well not be one.

I like the 800 twin motor, don't mind the forks (heresy?), didn't mind the brakes on the F800ST, like the ride position of the F650GS ...
... but why, since the frame is obviously derrived from the F800S/ST frame, didn't BMW fit the sigle swing-arm and belt drive? The system works very well indeed on my F650CS, and mates with F800STs say it's equally unobtrusive there. It's a point of difference, and a good one.

The answer (I guess) is that BMW is trying to entice Jap (crap) riders with a bike layout that's reassuringly familiar. Well, OK, but the press kit says - in essence - "OK, we give up. Chains are better."

Seems to me BMW now has a clearly differentiated premium line with shaft drive and tele/duolever. plus linked braking packages .. and the sub-1000cc line that might as well be whitgoods (ie any bike) - but for the price.
- The plus side is that I waited two years for the F800R before giving up and buying my R1200R - now this bike vindicates my decision!
- The downside is that if these 'whitegoods' fail spectactularly in the market (why buy a more expensive versuion of the universal bike?), we gotta hope they don't mean BMW's owners give up on bikes altogether
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

Caroanbill wrote:Double-sided swingarm ...
Chain ...
conventional telescopic forks ..
How is this a BMW ? Or, rather, it might as well not be one.

I like the 800 twin motor, don't mind the forks (heresy?), didn't mind the brakes on the F800ST, like the ride position of the F650GS ...
... but why, since the frame is obviously derrived from the F800S/ST frame, didn't BMW fit the sigle swing-arm and belt drive? The system works very well indeed on my F650CS, and mates with F800STs say it's equally unobtrusive there. It's a point of difference, and a good one.

The answer (I guess) is that BMW is trying to entice Jap (crap) riders with a bike layout that's reassuringly familiar. Well, OK, but the press kit says - in essence - "OK, we give up. Chains are better."

Seems to me BMW now has a clearly differentiated premium line with shaft drive and tele/duolever. plus linked braking packages .. and the sub-1000cc line that might as well be whitgoods (ie any bike) - but for the price.
- The plus side is that I waited two years for the F800R before giving up and buying my R1200R - now this bike vindicates my decision!
- The downside is that if these 'whitegoods' fail spectactularly in the market (why buy a more expensive versuion of the universal bike?), we gotta hope they don't mean BMW's owners give up on bikes altogether
Change is difficult for some. As you and I, and the rest of the geriatric set BMW riders are getting older, the company appears to be trying to attract some younger riders at a lower price point. While they still do not equal the japanese bikes in price, the F bikes are thousands cheaper than R and K bikes.

Additionally, many at least don't mind, or prefer a chain or belt over a shaft, and many prefer the feel of a telescoping fork over the numbness of a telelever, despite the stability they offer.

They are not the traditional BMW to be sure, but neither are the K bikes, yet they have a following. I never warmed up to the K bikes, but my F800GS is a kick to ride, double sided swing arm, chain and all.

(BTW, I also own a R1200R)
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Dan-A wrote: As you and I, and the rest of the geriatric set BMW riders are getting older, the company appears to be trying to attract some younger riders at a lower price point. While they still do not equal the japanese bikes in price, the F bikes are thousands cheaper than R and K bikes.
I agree (well apart from the geriatric bit - I'm a young 46 :p ) My point is these bike had better SELL . I love my F650CS - hardly trad BMW- but it's now an orphan. BMW mismarketed the CS and then abandoned it ..
Dan-A wrote: many at least don't mind, or prefer a chain or belt over a shaft, and many prefer the feel of a telescoping fork over the numbness of a telelever, despite the stability they offer.
The F800S/ST does all that, but retains a couple of points of differentiation (swing arm and belt) ... there has been quite a yearning for an "R" in the same vein over on the F800.org and Chain Gang (Black Belt) websites. Many of us eschew chains with some vehemence (not necessarily with logic :D ). I understand why the GS has a chain. I wonder what BMW's market research showed - or BMW's marketing strategy aimed for - to put a chain on the "R". I fear it was coz they happened to reach into the GS parts bin instead of the S/ST one .... I don't mind the 'cheap' BMW (well, I really don't get the chinese engine in the G650X) but the now-confused message is that a sub-1000cc BMW is just like any other bike (whitegoods again) ... it dilutes the brand to the point where I wonder whether BMW Motorrad has a branding strategy at all - seems to be just marketing to me.
Dan-A wrote: my F800GS is a kick to ride, double sided swing arm, chain and all. (BTW, I also own a R1200R)
.. being a kick to ride is the whole point, after all! I love my citybike F650CS probably more than my R12R ... the R12 is a great bike of character and competence .. the 650 is quirky, zippy (around town) and all about fun
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
macinnr
Basic User

Post by macinnr »

I've been holding off going for a 1200r to see what the F800R would be like. Dissappointed that they haven't gone for belt drive and round headlight (for performance rather than looks) but this bike will (IMO) be in it's own class just like the 800GS and ST. Name a middleweight roadster you can buy which can have integrated panniers, centre stand, top box etc. available as original equipment? Our Euro chums buy middlewight roadsters buy the bucket load and BMW are trying to tap into this market by offering a bike which can do everything a hornet/SV/shiver/ST can do but with some extras which will swing them in the BMW direction... Not sure they're trying to market the bike to current BMW owners and that's the problem for me... having had a shaft on my bike for the last eight years I'm not sure if I can be arsed to get that chain lube out again...
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

You know they have conventional one button turn signals too yeah? :shock:

The Kawasaki ER6-N referred to above has sold 22,000 units in Europe & is just being relaunched as an all-round improved model for 2009. They cost just £4,500 here, whilst for comparison the F800S costs £6,295 (eg: 30% more). If you wanted to go for some real thrills, rather than travel economy class, the Triumph Street Triple R is getting absolute rave reviews for £6,340 ... It's being compared against 600 super sports bikes in "best road bike for the real world" comparison tests, and winning.

If the F800R doesn't cost £5,000, then it'll get eaten alive. The only people buying these sadly will be born-agains who are scared of the K1300R ...