Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Question

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

ebincia
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Question

Post by ebincia »

I am aware of the issues concerning the BMW OEM quick disconnects. I replaced the plastic OEMs with metal quick disconnects and replaced all crimp connectors on my last three BMWs. Recently I acquired a 2003 K1200GT which has the OEM quick disconnects. The new metal quick disconnects are here on my workbench. However, I will not have time to put then on until January, 12 because I will be out of town. The possibility of a leak while I'm away concerns me.

My question: How much fuel will escape if one of the quick disconnects were to spring a leak while I'm away? My reasoning suggests that it would only leak until the pressure in the lines is exhausted which would be a minimal amount of fuel and not a major safety concern.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Ebincia
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Question

Post by Buckster »

I'm no expert on it, but I think most QD's fail when the bike is running probably due to the pressure created by the fuel pump. I wouldn't worry about.
Buckster '03R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

My question: How much fuel will escape if one of the quick disconnects were to spring a leak while I'm away? My reasoning suggests that it would only leak until the pressure in the lines is exhausted which would be a minimal amount of fuel and not a major safety concern.
Congrats on the new bike. There's a lot of motor in there!

I don't recall anyone experiencing any significant fuel loss/leak unless the quick-connect actually breaks (typically the male half) and separates a fuel line. That's what happened to me during one particular tank removal.

Your logic seems correct: if a slight leak should develop (unlikely in the absence of any mechanical stress), then fuel would leak until pressurized line equalizes with atmosphere. But since the fuel pump is not a positive displacement device, the line pressure will drop as soon as the pump is turned off, and residual line pressure should subsequently be very low.

Of course, the answer to any concerns is the following: you simply task me with the job of fuel line leak inspection and K-bike battery charging via test rides. I'll drop by during weekly business calls in Springfield. Glad to help!

Still have your R1150R? Or did you make a trade @ BMWOR?
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
ebincia
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ebincia »

Thanks all for your advice.

Sweatmark,

Yes, I still have the "R"...will keep it another while. This is a relatively short trip only two weeks. I may take you up on the bike checking this summer. I'll zap you a PM when I get back...we need to do brew , or coffee early next year.
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Airman »

ebincia wrote:I am aware of the issues concerning the BMW OEM quick disconnects. I replaced the plastic OEMs with metal quick disconnects and replaced all crimp connectors on my last three BMWs. Recently I acquired a 2003 K1200GT which has the OEM quick disconnects. The new metal quick disconnects are here on my workbench. However, I will not have time to put then on until January, 12 because I will be out of town. The possibility of a leak while I'm away concerns me.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Ebincia
I hadn't really thoought about this, but I use the old plastic connector to drain the tank. Just plug in it in and put the hose in the gas can. That leads me to believe that if the connector was broken a similar result would occur. I realize this is a pretty late reply, but those connectors seem to interest all BMW owners.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.