A New Brick

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Steve in VT
Basic User

A New Brick

Post by Steve in VT »

I just bought an '85 K100RT with 68K on the clock. It's for my brother, who's flying from Olympia, WA to join me in a tour through Nova Scotia and Newfoundland next month. The rear tire is all but new, and the seller had a new front tire and new brake pads, which it badly needed. Not down to the backing plates, but glazed so you needed a come-along an the brake handle to haul her down from speed.
Paint is good, runs like a top. Recent spline lube. Saddlebags, tail bag, and a nice OEM tank bag. Had to clean and lube a few bits. Seat didn't quite fit right. Sidestand was bent. And after lubing the throttle assembly, I noticed the master cylinder started to drip. It had actually started some time ago, but I had disturbed the outer wiper, and previously captive oil started running out the housing. Nasty stuff, that brake fluid.

So now we're into it about $460 bucks, counting tax and registration (but not the added insurance). Considering the low initial cost, which we should be able to recoup, we're well ahead of the cost of a rental.

I gotta be honest, though. I hate the damn thing. I'm just barely tall enough to ride it (5'10"), and with the wide-assed Corbin seat, I'm on my tiptoes more than I like. I can just about get it off the centerstand. At 100 pounds less, and narrow, lower seat, my R1200R would be my choice for almost any ride. Except, perhaps, in a rainstorm.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: A New Brick

Post by sjbmw »

One toe, one cheek!
This is the Mottorad explanation/solution for tall bikes.

A motorcycle license in Germany takes 2 months of weekend classes to obtain. In these classes, they teach the "One Toe, One Cheek" method of motorcycle handling at stops. (And here I thought I invented it.)
After the class is over, inseam challenged people just like us drive away on a GS Adventure without a care!

One Toe! One Cheek!

I just had my R1150R lowered a half inch with the install of HyperPro shocks.
I am now using "Two Toes, Two Cheeks"
Parking on grades with a shorter kickstand had to be relearned though.

Good luck with the bike, I love K bikes, and fwiw, you are a great brother.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Steve in VT
Basic User

Re: A New Brick

Post by Steve in VT »

Hadn't heard about the toe-cheek tactic, but I guess it works. I'm very leery of dips at stop signs and parking lots.
With two weeks to go until my brother arrives, I've been picking away at minor issues on the bike.
This week it was the "Teakettle Gas Tank" thing, I rerouted the fuel return line and sleeved it and the supply line with aluminized fiberglass sleeving. Also surrounded the injector manifold with some aluminized hood blanket from a junked car. Hope it cools the tank. I don't want to be stuck on a superslab in Maine with vaporlock.

Steve in VT
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.