front rotors

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

jacksgp
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

front rotors

Post by jacksgp »

Does anyone know of a aftermarket brake rotor dealer? Bmw wants about $300 each and I hope to do better.

I have a 1996 r850r non/abs front spoked tire and would like to replace them both.(102,000 miles)

Can the old rotors be cut?
Thanks
omg1010
Basic User

Re: front rotors

Post by omg1010 »

Braking, EBC, Lucas, Brembo, ABM, Spiegler come into my mind. Check out the big bay for this.

What do you mean by "can the old rotors be cut"? Cut into pieces? Cut off from the wheel?

Brgds
Oliver
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

omg1010 wrote:Braking, EBC, Lucas, Brembo, ABM, Spiegler come into my mind. Check out the big bay for this.

What do you mean by "can the old rotors be cut"? Cut into pieces? Cut off from the wheel?

Brgds
Oliver
Pretty sure (100%) this is a reference to skimming the rotors, or machining them back to a smooth surface to remove the grooving you get with old rotors and multiple pad changes, or light warping.

The answer is generally no. Bike disks are thin compared to cars, and a heavily grooved rotor is probably now undersize anyway. Most machine shops or brake shops won't machine bike rotors. Not enough meat left.

Either use them as they are with new pads, or if severely scored, warped or otherwise damaged, replace them with one of the many after-market brands as previously mentioned.

The manual for the bike should have wear limits specified if you want to measure them. I don't have them for that bike. However, My GS (and also my R) specifies that the rotor thickness (new) is 5mm, and that minimum thickness is 4.5mm. You have half a mm to play with on them. Not much. Hope that helps.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
def
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by def »

jacksgp wrote:Does anyone know of a aftermarket brake rotor dealer? Bmw wants about $300 each and I hope to do better.

I have a 1996 r850r non/abs front spoked tire and would like to replace them both.(102,000 miles)

Can the old rotors be cut?
Thanks
Since you're in NY, contact these folks. They are very helpful and carry rotors for your model.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/ebc_brake_rotors.html
I'm an old man...leave me alone
def
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by def »

Regarding "cutting the rotors", I assume you mean to machine or grind the rotors to remove the worn friction surface. Given the rotor design, this would require Blanchard grinding which would remove material at the ears used to attach the rotor to the wheel and therefore possibly weakening the rotor dangerously. If your rotors are scored or grooved excessively, replace them. As mentioned, there is not enough material to allow resurfacing.
I'm an old man...leave me alone
jacksgp
Basic User

Post by jacksgp »

Just back from vacation at the outer banks in NC.

Computer free for 3 weeks so I did not have a chance to view the replys to my question.

Thank you all for your info...rotors are on my "to do list".

Probally will look for aftermarket parts but will first measure rotor thickness first

Thanks all!