Can I come back? Even on a scrambler?

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Can I come back? Even on a scrambler?

Post by Parkblu »

Hi all,

a few of you quipped when I sold my 1150R three years ago: "you may be back". Well...

While the problems with my R mounted beyond what CycleRob (bless his endless patience and friendliness) and others could help me with, and while my patience with things going wrong ran out (which surely was the main reason), I was offered a great deal for a barley used Triumph Tiger 800 XC dual sport. So I sold the R and bought the Tiger. Perhaps a mistake. Today I admit the Tiger is a fine bike, but I feel no spark. Not sure why; we just don't click. So in the last days I decided to sell her to a rider with more affection for her.

What's next? The dual-sport concept is great, but I besides dirt roads I have not done any off-roading, which is not plentiful here in SE Florida to begin with. Visited a few stores lately, left yawning. I like nakeds and torque. Thought about Guzzi, but then: not quite and next service is too far. Then I came across reviews of the scrambler. My eyebrows went up.

I know the bike is not out yet, but I'd love to hear what forum members' current impression is, also considering the fact that it has the older oilhead with the dry clutch. There are a few used '12 and '13 1200 Rs around, but by visuals alone I find the scrambler striking. Money is a factor too, but the scrambler launch being so close, I might as well wait a month or so to ogle the thing.

Thoughts?
Scrambler, was R1150R
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Can I come back? Even on a scrambler?

Post by Buckster »

....of course you could!
The scrambler is pretty much the R nine T with higher exhaust, mag wheels, and a 19" front rim. I love the R nine T and rode one too. It is nice but not enough to win me over from my 1150R. I was suprized the Scrambler didn't get the spoked rims though. I do like the mags....wished you could get those on the R nine T.
Buckster '03R
Parkblu
Basic User

Post by Parkblu »

I'd agree – coming from an 1150R I wouldn't switch. Coming from another bike – or hopefully soon bikeless after a great sale – it's very interesting. I found quite a few "first-ride" articles last night in the German-speaking press, since the European press intro took place in the Alps near Garmisch in July:

http://bikerszene.de/magazin/testberich ... richt.html
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/technik-moto ... 44824.html (this article, headlined "Bart in der Menge" or "Beard among the masses", alludes to beard-wearing hipsters and to a German metaphor when politicians are taking a "bath in the masses", meaning basking in adoration in a public event". Very well written btw.)
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/auto/bmw-mot ... -1.3075960
http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/Fahrb ... 92266.html (the most technical)

If you don't read German: Google Translate is your friend :D If you want more in German, google "Fahrbericht BMW Scrambler".

Overall, the reviews I read range from very good to excellent. All the journos seem pleased that there are new bikes being offered without a flurry of electronics (versus Rider's review of the KTM 1290 Super Adventure: only one small step away from autonomous bikes!), scarmbler being one of them.

Compared to the R NineT (that name... arrrgh. In honor of 90 years BMW Motorcycles), the scrambler has a slightly improved geometry and a different suspension setup, supposedly a complaint about the NineT (now tighter fork, softer rear which should be tightened a bit), as well as an improved rider position due to different handlebars and footpeg mounting points.

Oh, and spoked rims are a €400 option, perhaps only $400 here too. They're pilfered from the GS, which means aftermarket GS tire choices.
Scrambler, was R1150R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

you should buy it.

:)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Parkblu
Basic User

Post by Parkblu »

My take-away from a dealer visit yesterday:

- The expect the scrambler sometime mid-September.
- One customer bought it sight unseen, price unknown. Foolish or brave or?
- Seems also that NineT sales have slacked because the scrambler was announced so early, potential buyers went into wait-and-see pattern.
- R NineT looks small, or better very low, in comparison to the current 1250 R (with a red trellis frame?? Please!)

I'll wait, and in the meantime will post the Tiger 800xc for sale this weekend.
Scrambler, was R1150R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

The nineT is very well executed. Yes it's small, but it's the most "airhead-ish" bike since, well, perhaps 80s airheads. Simple, lightweight, functional, elegant, sporty. Wheel sizes allow for wide range of sports, sport-touring tires.

The Scrambler promises to be all that the nineT delivers, but biased to realistic dual sport use via wheel sizes supporting all the popular DS tires, plus longer suspension travel.

Both bikes should be DIY simple maintenance and reliable for long-term ownership.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Parkblu
Basic User

Post by Parkblu »

Haven't ridden a Goose yet and plenty of others for that matter – but I have yet to find an engine I like as much as the boxers. And still regret somehow having sold my 1150 R.

In three years with the Tiger I haven't been offroad once, though on gravel/dirt/forest roads. For that, it sounds like the scrambler should be doing fine. And
simple maintenance and reliable for long-term ownership
are major bonus points.
Scrambler, was R1150R