BMW parts. Dealer or Internet?

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

BMW parts. Dealer or Internet?

Post by CycleRob »

I've done both. Now I rediscovered a good one.

On Monday morning at 2:41 AM I ordered 2 oil filters and 1 air filter from Chicago BMW's website and put it on my Visa card. Just over 2 days later at 10:30 AM Wednesday a FedX truck delivered it to me. That's better than going to the dealer because:
--No sales tax, just a $9.00 shipping charge.
--I don't have to take the time to ride the 96 mile roundtrip ride.
--The parts were 20% off BMW retail price.

I ordered the oil filter months before I needed it, so I felt confident using ChicBMW for the order. There was no need to worry. I was still on file from a year ago with R1150R stuff that took 7 days to be delivered.

The F800 parts costs were:
2 Oil Filters @ $11.20 each (BMW=$14.00)
1 Air Filter @ $15.84 (BMW=$19.80)
Shipping/Handling $9
Total cost delivered $47.24

Sweet.
http://chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/store/

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: BMW parts. Dealer or Internet?

Post by Boxer »

The only parts I've needed since trading the Roadster has been my accessories added onto the bike from aftermarket folks and oil filters/crush washers. My oil filters etc. I get from Beemerboneyard. In the past I mostly ordered major parts from Chicago BMW but occasionally would get filters and such from the dealer. If you have more than one or two OEM items its definitely cheaper and more convenient to get from Chicago on the internet, but its nice to support the dealer some and visit the store to see what's available.
Neil
Lifer
Donating Member #: 918

Post by Neil »

Hi my wife slipped on the weekend and dropped he F800r and bent the hand brake lever I priced one in Melbourne (Australia ) $155.00 on the net Bike Bandit in US have them listed at $74.00 but thy want $111.00 postage a little excessive I think dose any one have a good parts supplier that will post wold wide at a reasonable price Chicago BMW looks good if the will supply out of the US
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Neil,
Your best bet is to have a friend here or in Germany buy one and then sell it to you as a used part. Shipping is more reasonable and customs on a used part is much less. I have never done that so don't ask me how I know about it. :roll:
Neil
Lifer
Donating Member #: 918

Post by Neil »

I have found a parts supplier in the UK MOTORWORKS the hand brake lever total cost including shipping to OZ $66.00 I am very pleased with this price
aravis
Basic User

Post by aravis »

could you or anybody help me to find a speedometer dial in mph for the f800s?
I brought one from Europe to the UK and this change is apparently mandatory (and easy to do but BMW would charge something like £700!!!)

Thank you for your help
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

+1 Motorworks (UK)
eg stick coil from local (Australia) BMW dealer A$225, from Mortorworks (UK) http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php A$$115 including postage.
Delivery time much the same.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing