R1150R vs F800ST

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

R1150R vs F800ST

Post by Xdot »

Any former R1150R owners out there? I've got an R1150R and I'm thinking of switching to an F800, probably an ST. Bit more modern design. Little lighter. Integrated fairing and windscreen. Opinions?
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Jed
Basic User

Re: R1150R vs F800ST

Post by Jed »

Current R12R owner here - thinking of picking up a F800ST or F800GS as a second bike. It really is a great motor - you can't beat Rotax. Both F800's are light, agile, great handling and more than enough power for those of us looking to keep our licenses. I'm partial to the belt drive on the ST but like the styling of the GS. Good luck with your research. Let us know what you decide.

cheers,
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Chances are you've read my other posts :roll: praising my F800ST, but here's more old and new facts.
Xdot wrote:Bit more modern design. Little lighter.
Your only partly right *.
* It's a LOT more modern design:
--CAN-bus system with BMS-K engine management is a quantum leap over the primitive Motronic computer and multi wire system.
--Water cooling, 12:1 compression and DOHC 8 valve cylinderhead is the Phoenix of 4-stroke M/C engines. The limiting power/efficiency of pushrod/rockerarms and Air/Oil cooling is from the 1980's.
--Weightless LCD info panel and (optional) OnBoardComputer light years ahead of huge/gaudy retro gauges and (appropriately named) idiot lights. :smt045
--Lightweight, quiet, clean, no maintenance and very efficient Belt Drive superior to heavy, expensive to repair and ironically "longevity compromised" Shaft Drive.
--The above attributes help provide phenomenal fuel efficiency on par with much slower, less powerful, 600/650cc one cylinder bikes. For my conservative riding style it has varied from 58 to 72 MPG (on Regular Chevron/Texaco gas) for all of it's almost 12,000 miles (Edit 31,000 miles).

* It's a LOT lighter ~60lbs.
--It's narrower too.
--Handling is very responsive when relatively inexpensively set up to your weight and riding style.
--Same mid/peak rear wheel HP pulling the lighter weight means acceleration is better.
--Walking the bike around, as in backing it out of the garage, is a piece of cake.
--Low speed parking lot manoeuvres over uneven/sloped or off camber surfaces has none of the uneasy drama of the OilHeads.

What you will give up:
--Storage under the one piece seat. One pair of riding gloves - - maybe, if not big and well placed.
--An absolutely reliable, excited field, very powerful 700Watt car alternator for the F800's conventional 400W permanent magnet oil cooled alternator. Not that much a sacrifice unless you are a multi light, multi heated riding gear freak.
--The wonderful, no brake dive, TeleLever front suspension. Advantage of the ST's conventional forks is that performance modifications are owner workshop possible, for less $$$ and it definitely provides more road feel/feedback.
--The OilHead's balancing centerstand. A 40lb weight on the ST's luggage rack is required for front wheel removal.
--A tool kit. The F800ST only comes with a dual ended screwdriver and a body screw Torx wrench snapped into the underseat pan. No std tire plug kit, wheel or sparkplug removal tools provided for roadside work.
--EDIT: This is BAD. The in-tank fuel filter requires a BMW Dealer or a $47 special tool purchase I coincidentally needed "just to have" to remove the metal top retaining ring. Also weird/funny that NO ONE on any of the BMW chat boards has ever acknowledged the big filter on the handsome pump assembly inside the tank. Even very high mileage bikes make no mention of the fuel filter change or clogged filter symptom performance. I already had mine out and will do a multi pic post soon.

On the plus side:
--No more worrying about engine overheating in summer traffic jams. The F800 model radiator fan saves the day and your time schedule.
--There are NO FUSES to replace. Bike's computer monitors current draw, quickly disconnecting any component's short circuits to prevent wire harness meltdowns while setting very specific trouble codes readable/resettable by a $300 GS911.
--The engine quickly reaches full operating temp within 3 miles even in Winter. That's very important for efficiency and avoiding acidic condensate oil contamination, requiring more frequent oil changes.
--Activating the starter won't make close bystanders jump off the ground and out of their skin.
--You NEVER have to remove the gas tank for ANY servicing. It's all no rust, lightweight, thick walled plastic, under the seat and tightly built into the rear sub frame.
--14AmpHr ST battery is maintenance free.
--Only ONE oil supply to change (engine oil).
--$900 Optional ABS system is cheaper, smaller, simpler, NOT LINKED and brake fluid bleeding/changing is the same as a Non-ABS bike.
--Wider 5.5" rim and 180mm section rear tire avails you to more brand selections of better rubber.
--The hidden flip lever headlight height re-adjuster compensates for a passenger in 2 seconds and the knurled knob allows for No-tool thumb-n-finger height adjustments.
--Rear panel fuel cap lets a strapped on tank bag and any attached electrical hookups stay in place for refueling.
--The bodywork provides very good cold wind deflection from shoulder to toe.
--Automatic idle control. Just hit the starter and it idles perfectly steady in under 2 seconds to 1,200 RPM at any outside or engine temp. No fast idle racing is needed with precise EFI fueling and a sophisticated ignition advance curve.
--Switching to Hi beam (bulb #2) also keeps Lo beam (bulb #1) still "on", greatly enhancing peripheral roadside and distance illumination over the OilHead's.
--F800 rear wheel comes off easily (44 Ft-Lbs) with 5 small lugbolts and 2 easily loosened/removed muffller bolts to swing it out of the way, still attached. Drive belt, brake caliper and rotor stay totally undisturbed, in place on the drive assembly.
--Bike's computer cycles on/off/on any heavy electrical draw from the power socket at idle to prevent a too low (engine disruptive) system voltage.
--Mag wheels are much lighter and have really cool, very stubby, easily accessible steel valve stem mounted on the front wheel spoke and rear wheel rim.
--The engine and especially the (louder) stock exhaust purr sound much better!!!

To be fair, the newer R1200R shares some of these advantages and more, but at a higher price. I considered both bikes and easily chose the F800, no contest. The OilHead was good while it lasted (8 years), but my new F800ST upgrade is comparable to my pleasantly wonderful 2nd wife of 24 (Edit: now 32) years, Ann . . . . a whole lot better than the 1st one!! #-o

EDIT: to remove "There is NO fuel Filter" after I found a BIG one attached when removing the fuel pump assembly (with BMW special tool) to retrieve a 3" long fuel spout extension that fell inside -and- to update odometer reading and our Sept-2019 monogamy score.
Last edited by CycleRob on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I don't know, CycleRob... you're sending mixed signals... :D
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Re: R1150R vs F800S
Any former R1150R owners out there? I've got an R1150R and I'm thinking of switching to an F800, probably an ST. Bit more modern design. Little lighter. Integrated fairing and windscreen. Opinions?
OK, current Rockster owner, with happy memories of our R1150R, R1100R, and R850R Roadster.

We had an unusual warmish (55F) sunny day a couple days ago, so I rode our F800S a bit and have fresh impressions to share.

Everything Rob says is true - the F800 bikes are good. We've had two problems with ours: (1) blown fork seal, and (2) fuel cut-out. Both problems are documented to some degree in the F800 board, and we got a new seal and new CPU programming mapped via dealer warranty service and are hoping for good results in the future.

I've ordered a handlebar kit for the F800S that will move the bike's ergonomics towards F800ST posture; my wife got tired of the F800S pseudo clip-ons during her one longer ride last season, so the handlebars (plus an extra, lower seat) should put her in comfortable control.

As for my riding impressions of the F800 - I'd like more power, but then I'd like a LOT more power for my Rockster too, and realize that neither bike was designed to smoke tires or squidly sportsbikers. Really, the F800S/ST runs pretty well, and the extra RPMs + snick-snick six-speed transmission are very UN-boxer-like and darn nice to have.

My "perfect bike" scenario these days would be an F1200ST, with the same clever Rotax motor configuration as per F800, but using bigger jugs. And I would be perfectly happy to retain ALL other aspects and design of the F800S/ST, especially the simple and silent belt drive...well, maybe a bit more electrical wattage to get my "multi light, multi heated riding gear freak" on.

Of course, it's ridiculous to think about extra power when that sweet F800 motor is getting 50+ MPG with $4/gallon gas.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

Of course, I'd have to sell my R1150R. And I do like that F800R as well ( :smt118 ) but they are pretty pricey right now.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
rich1kim
Basic User

Post by rich1kim »

Had a 2002 r1150r and now have a 2011 F800GS. Is it me or does the F800's seem easier / less fatiguing to ride? I like the new bike... a lot.

My 2 cents.

Rich
Hawkman
Basic User

Post by Hawkman »

I've been thinking about making this change too. I rode an F800S a couple of years back, but he riding position was too sporty for my large frame. So I pushed the 800 series to the back of my brain. That said... I rode a friend's F650GS this weekend and I was blown away. The riding position was great, though the saddle was terrible and the bars were too close for my comfort and I'm not convinced that it is made for long interstate travel. The gears were really nice and the engines was zippy, but not buzzy. I can see losing many hours on this thing. Overall, one hell of a bike IMHO. So... I will probably be out some cash in the coming months. The only issue is if the 800R is too sporty for me. I love the look and the engine of the 800R but if my knees are gonna pay the price then I'll have to consider the 800GS. I know that I should stick with the paid off 1150R, but I've got lust in my heart.
~Eric
'03 Silver R1150R
rich1kim
Basic User

Re: R1150R vs F800GS

Post by rich1kim »

I did 2 consecutive 4 day trips to Canada and I have to say the comfort factor regarding the riding position for the F800GS was fantastic. (6', 200lb, 32" inseam) :D I really had no aches/pains which I usually do after long rides. All my joints were fine. HOWEVER, my a$$ was not happy. Painful is the right word. :( Shorter rides are fine, but for looong rides, an aftermarket seat is recommended.

OH... one more thing. I never really dropped my R1150R, but the thing about the F800GS is that it's taller and near impossible to save from a drop once you loose your balance at a stop. :shock:

2,000 miles so far and still smiling with zero problems. :D

Rich

2011 F800GS
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

CycleRob has posted the differences very well !!
I agree with him on almost all points.
My seat of the pants take on R1150 vs F800 topic is
the 1150 telelever will give you more stability IF
you intend to tour loaded down to the max and at extended higher speeds.
It handles excess electrical farkles easier, too.
If you don't exceed speed limits and ride solo more often
the F800 is a much more friendly companion.
Can't say enough good about this F machine.
In my experience, the 1150 gas mileage does not decrease percentage wise
as much as the F800 does when loaded heavy and pushing hard on the highway.
my 2 cents