F800ST vs F800GS

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

F800ST vs F800GS

Post by Xdot »

I'm still thinking of replacing my 1150R with something newer and with perhaps a bit less inertial mass. I love my R but it is ten years old now (almost) and, like me, not getting any younger. I also like the idea of getting something brand new, equipping with some available accessories, and having a known mechanical history.

I also know I'd like a bit more protection than the 1150R provides. The 1150RT is a beautiful bike but provides almost too much protection, though I very much did like the noise levels behind that massive fairing. And the riding position, as I'd been warned, was like sitting up and begging. The visibility was a tad lacking too, and the handling a bit clunky - though I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly. In the end, the 1150RT didn't seem like the right bike for me.

So I've been eying the F800 platform. The engine seems completely suitable for long-distance touring, commuting, or a bit of horsing around in traffic. The ST seems to have a great fairing and a fairly upright seating position. With an aftermarket windscreen I bet it would be very quiet. But I have a serious dirt itch as well, and a group of friends has been egging me to go dual-sporting with them in Colorado for the last few summers. Does the GS fit my requirements better?

How to decide? Am I right about the ST? A great all-around bike that I could jump on and do a 500 mile weekend with mixed interstate/two-lanes without seeming to push the limits of the platform, while at the same time commute to work and have a good time? Is the GS good enough on dirt to seriously consider that approach while at the same time being competent in traffic and for commuting? What about the chain drive? I hear the belt on the ST is lovely, but what are the ramifications of that GS chain for a 500 mile weekend? Or a 2,000 mile expedition? I know there are a ton of accessories for both bikes and I'll admit, I do get tired of perusing eBay to find discontinued accessories for my R - though I always seem to find them.

Any significant known issues on the F800's comparable to the Final Drive and Clutch Splines issue on the R's? What about build quality? I've heard it rumored that BMW has intentionally slipped in the QC department and is catering more to folks who trade up every two years before any problems can emerge. I prefer to keep something for 100K miles. Will the F800 do 100K miles or should I just stick with my oil-head. Everyone knows the motor's good for 200K.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: F800ST vs F800GS

Post by CycleRob »

Xdot wrote:But I have a serious dirt itch as well, and a group of friends has been egging me to go dual-sporting with them in Colorado for the last few summers. Does the GS fit my requirements better?
Yes.

The only objection I have with the 800GS is the chain drive, which you may already be very familiar with as a FD. Otherwise, if the road riding you described is a higher priority -and- you will never use your new F800ST as a dual purpose off road bike, it will be the best choice. Were you using your 1150R off road? I doubt it.

My advice is to own 2 bikes, a 2012 F800ST and possibly a used 250--400cc dual purpose or dirt bike that is checked out by a pro before you buy. Two bikes is what I did in the early 1970's and I have vivid memories of riding with those guys. I had the only 4-stroke engine, now the engine of choice for a dirtbike. The worst ride was in a 22 degF Connecticut winter day where grey skin showed frostbite nearly got me. In a few years the youthful weekend dirt riding group dwindled to zero. Riding alone in the dirt ended when I nearly killed myself (painfully enlarged spleen) after a medium speed spill to hard ground. That was in a remote place where it would have been days before the body would have been found.

It looks like you will have to make a road OR dirt decision when you choose your next F800 -or- get a new shaft drive R1200GS and deal with a heavier more expensive bike that gets 10--20 less MPG's than the F800 series. Also, would you be able to ride with those dirt guys on such a big/heavy (new) bike?

After nearly 27 months owning my wonderful F800ST, choosing between a street or dual purpose would be an easy choice for me . . . . considering the chain drive and the spills that normally occur in no limits, pack mentality dirt riding.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
rich1kim
Basic User

Re: F800ST vs F800GS

Post by rich1kim »

Depending on what dual sports your friends are riding and how comfortable you feel on the dirt will be the deciding factor for the F800GS. For serious dirt riding I don't recommend the F800GS. It's very capable, a little lighter than the R1150R, but don't confuse it for a dirt bike. Also, damage will be expensive to repair. I have to also mention that when it does drop, it's a lot harder to upright than the R1150R. All from personal experience. One additional thing to mention is the tube tires. Unless you carry a rear tool bag, or luggage system it's gonna be impossible to put tools to fix a flat under the seat. Or to re inflate the tires when you get to paved roads.

Rich