Found an F800ST. Have an R1150R. What do you think?

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Found an F800ST. Have an R1150R. What do you think?

Post by Xdot »

I've currently got an R1150R that I really do like. It is my first street bike though, and I must say, I didn't really know what I wanted until after I found out what I didn't like about it.

Mostly, it's the wind noise, if the F800ST with an aftermarket windscreen is quieter, I'll probably pull the trigger.

What I'm looking at is a 2008, F800ST w/ABS. It has 17K miles on it, 3-piece luggage, and they are asking $7,800. I recall there were some stalling problems on early F800's. Does the '08 fall into this group? Really don't want that problem.

Sound like a reasonable deal? Any feelings on the wind noise? I've tried everything I can to make the wind noise more bearable on the R but it just isn't working. The bike is naked and there's no getting around it. I have found a nice R1150RS but I kind of want the more advanced tech on the F800 or R1200.

Is the F800ST a reasonable touring machine? I don't do a lot of touring but I'd love to be able to hop on and drive 200 to 400 miles in a day. Will this bike handle that as well as that big 1150cc boxer? Is 17K miles reasonable for this engine? How does the Rotax hold up? For the record, I'm 5'8", 160 lbs.

Thanks much. I may pull the trigger this weekend...

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Re: Found an F800ST. Have an R1150R. What do you think?

Post by NoRRmad »

Have you tried earplugs?
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

NoRRmad wrote:Have you tried earplugs?
Do you mean the little squish down kind or the $270 pair of custom molded ear buds I had made that didn't work for 5H1T? Or the many pairs in between that I've tried? Sure, the squish down things will cut the sound down to nothing, but if I have to ride hours that way, frankly I'd rather take a car. And sometimes the things won't quite go in.

I guess there's no reason you can assume that I'd thought of that, but it does seem an obvious first step doesn't it? Customizing my SuperTour helped. It's a lot quieter than the $600 Parabellum Scout I just sent back. Of course, it would stand to reason that a naked bike would be the loudest - which is why I'm looking at faired bikes now. The R1150RT is very quiet but I'm not a huge fan of the ride. I love the R1200RT but can't justify the cost with kids in college. The F800ST seems a reasonable alternative if I want to stick with BMW.

I love the RR, but I love my hearing even more. And I wouldn't mind having a gas gauge and 40% better mileage.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
storman113
Basic User

Post by storman113 »

Ton of info on the f800riders forum. If I recall the '06 and '07 had lots of troubles. Computer remapping seems to have solved the stall fault. Recent reports of bearing failures on the rear on the older units including early '08s.

I've had my '09 F8ST for 2 years and 19k miles. Never had a stalling issue.

The bike rides great and is a blast in the twisties. Great mileage, 55-65 depending on load and right hand wrist twist!

No idea on used pricing. Craig's list search etc should come with a range.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.
'09 F800ST, Midnight Blue
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Sorry, I was a little too cute with my earplugs question. Personally, I know of no motorcycle -- faired or naked -- that you can ride for long distances and reasonable speeds without earplugs, and not damage your hearing in the long run.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

NoRRmad wrote:Sorry, I was a little too cute with my earplugs question. Personally, I know of no motorcycle -- faired or naked -- that you can ride for long distances and reasonable speeds without earplugs, and not damage your hearing in the long run.
:oops: And I was a bit of an A-hole with my response. Apology back at you. The 1150RT, now that's a quiet bike. As one rider put it though, it's also a little like strapping a motor to a barco-lounger, and I somewhat agree. Looking for something in between.

Oh, and I always wear earplugs.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

I've had a F800ST and find my current R1200R quieter for what its worth. But I'm 6'4" with a long torso, have yet to find a bike with a windscreen (and no, I don't consider barn doors an option) that doesn't give me turbulence around the helmet.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

A big part of wind noise is the helmet you're wearing. I found that out when I got my new helmet, which is noticeably quieter. I am at your height/weight and have no issues with excessive wind noise and can hear the stock exhaust notes when riding. If you're looking for "still air quiet", then an R1200RT boxer may be just for you. If I wanted a full sized (big windshield, big engine) Sport-Touring bike . . . THAT would be IT! It actually defines the class "Sport-Touring", with full sized touring bike class leading fuel economy, uncharacteristically great handling and powerful brakes thrown in. Thinking about it in practical terms, the new K series 4 cylinder bikes are faster/quicker and more powerful -but- how often do you need that surplus power in all the time you spend sitting on the seat? Speed and power that eats rear tires, your gas credit card . . . maybe even your driver's license.

In early 2009 when I was looking to trade up to a new bike, the F800ST, because it looked like a SportBike, wasn't near the top of my list. The latest technology R1200R was. At BMW Atlanta's open house I wanted to test ride a R1200R but there wasn't one there! Apparently they were selling well. It must have been an omen. :-k I then decided to try the available blue F800ST, more so after hearing positive comments from returning test riders. Long story short, I liked it a lot and later placed a Non-ABS order for a Champagne Silver model. After putting well over $300 to repair my 50R's worn out FD bearings and replace the clutch slave, the quiet/clean/lightweight belt driven, clutch cabled F800 was a welcome new direction and an asset. The DOHC (DualOverHeadCamshaft) water cooled engine and full Hi-tech instrumentation made it even more attractive. I remember the 1st ride of my new bike, taking the long way home. It was exactly like a new, younger, more beautiful wife that you later find out on multiple occasions has amazing talents. =D>

About the changeover to the F800ST from the R1150R, the first few days seem very different because of the bike's conventional telescopic forks, curb weight loss, narrowness and the all around easier maneuverability. What wins you over is the precise overall throttle response, the engine's wide/useful power curve, effortless smooth shifting and really excellent fuel economy. Another smile comes every time you turn the key on and the tach needle quickly sweeps full scale and back to zero. After your button press, a 1.5 second muted small gear teeth whir from the electric starter, the engine starts with 3 or 4 seconds of a fast idle and quickly settles to a normal idle speed, even with a COLD engine. With a cold engine the exhaust idle sound is deeper/louder than the hot engine idle because the computer is feeding the heavier throttle needed to maintain the normal 1,200 RPM idle with a cold engine's oil drag. The cold engine idle is rock-steady-even and a pure delight to listen to standing near it while I put on my helmet and gloves. June 9th this year will be 3 years ownership and currently with 16,730 miles (26,924 km), I still enjoy hearing that sound. No aftermarket exhaust can or stock muffler "surgery" needed.

For me, I'll never go back to the heavier, lower tech engined Boxer bikes. Even when they actually will soon get water cooling and DOHC heads. The F800 bike has an engine and transmission I can take completely apart, like any Japanese bike, without 2 heatguns and service department only special tools. From what several service department techs at 3 different BMW dealers have told me, that will not be necessary.

Ride on!
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Woland
Basic User

Post by Woland »

Interesting take on the F vs the R CycleRob. Apart from the F800ST being a tad cramped for me, I find the R much more planted, relaxed and solid over all. The boxer is for sure a different animal, but that's more a matter of taste than anything else and the suspension on the R is of a different order of magnitude. That's not to say that the F800 is bad bike, for the bang/$ it is superior but that doesn't make it a better bike than the R1200R in my opinion. Can't speak for the R1150R as I haven't ridden one though.