Battery charging

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Wheezer!
Basic User

Battery charging

Post by Wheezer! »

My f800r is a 2010 model. Do I need to have my optimate4 charger set to canbus or regular mode for charging?? I don't know what canbus is or if I even have it.....
Thanks
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Battery charging

Post by CycleRob »

Wheezer, Your bike has the CAN-bus system. I have the same system on my bike and after the initial shock of giving up the ability to tap into the system in any location other than the battery terminals, I quickly signed on to it's many protective and diagnostic advantages.

Checked out your charger on Amazon and the ten Optimate4 owners gave useful advice and a good overall rating.
http://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-DUAL-PRO ... ewpoints=1
Three cautions were to:
1-- "Make sure you're getting a unit that has a manufacture date after Nov/2011".
2-- Use program #2 for the CAN-bus power socket hook-up.
3--Read the (difficult to understand) owner's manual until you understand how to use the charger.

The company also appeared to offer quick free resolutions to any customer problem, including if it is not working or showing error messages when hooked up to the bike's power socket. The charger also has a higher powered direct to battery terminal hook-up program, needed to cure a run-down or Sulphated battery.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Thanks for your reply. I think I have the charger set to the canbus mode. It's been on all night and its still flashing, showing it's doing something so I think it's Ok. I have it connected to a socket on the side of the engine. The manual is not that clear. At least to an idiot like me...!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

For a few bucks you can get a SAE pigtail that connects directly to the battery and hangs out for easy access by any number of regular 12 volt chargers. I just plug in my Battery Tender to it and away it goes. Cyclerob helped me wire my other accessories to my CANBUS system about 3 years ago and it has not failed once in that time.

Your charger through the CANBUS should be good though, once you decipher the manual.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

This might be odd replying this time of year, near the first day of summer, but during a chance review of my Amazon orders, I discovered my 1.25 Amp Battery-Tender-Plus is now 10 years oid. I've Ammeter and Voltmeter monitored what they do over the charging cycle and was impressed. Right now it's working good-as-new and hooked to the vehicle that is on-the-road the least. That'll be my `98 Frontier pickup truck, at this very minute! The riding mower's battery has it's own .75 Amp Battery Tender Junior for the off season.

As soon as I got it for my F800ST, rather than connecting it directly to the battery the pigtail provided was hooked to the battery at the starter solenoid's (+) battery terminal and the negative to a nearby bolt on the frame as the ground connection. The other end points to the rear just under the left side of what looks like the fuel tank where it is easy to access and just lays hidden down in there along the inside of the fat frame member when not in use. The Positive terminal mentioned is shown in the ThumbNail link below with the red alligator clip attached to it.

These chargers are among the best for ALL Lead Acid batteries like the old flooded cell type with plastic caps and AGM sealed batteries on just about EVERYTHING today. The Tender Plus is a newer looking model now with temperature compensation circuitry that maximizes the charge voltage based on the ambient temperature for $3 more than the $41.99 price I paid the mega-man at Amazon 10 years ago. Today, because Wally (and BestBuy) price matches Amazon, I recommend it be better sourced at your local Wal*Mart Store or their website with store pickup:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperSmart-B ... r/15779498
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--