New Naked

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

New Naked

Post by jkhomes »

This is not exactly an R1200R post, but there was a lot of chatter on here about the 90th anniversary air cooled boxer. Looks like the spy shots are out.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/b ... py-photos/
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New Naked

Post by deilenberger »

Actually - despite what the article sez, it's air/oil cooled.

My opinion (worth what you're paying for it).. meh.

It doesn't really do anything for me. The R1200R - especially the 2011 and newer ones with the new instrument pod - are much more appealing to me. The spoke rims are again center-spoked, so not a tubeless design. The forks look heavy to me, as does the fork brace and the front brake mounting. I'm sure the seat is comfortable if you only ride it a few miles, and the doubled exhaust means if there are bags available for it - the port side is going to be a miniature.

I guess someone will get excited about it. Wonder if there is any performance boost over our bikes?
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

deilenberger wrote:Actually - despite what the article sez, it's air/oil cooled.

My opinion (worth what you're paying for it).. meh.

It doesn't really do anything for me. The R1200R - especially the 2011 and newer ones with the new instrument pod - are much more appealing to me. The spoke rims are again center-spoked, so not a tubeless design. The forks look heavy to me, as does the fork brace and the front brake mounting. I'm sure the seat is comfortable if you only ride it a few miles, and the doubled exhaust means if there are bags available for it - the port side is going to be a miniature.

I guess someone will get excited about it. Wonder if there is any performance boost over our bikes?
I'm with you. It looks kind of funky and clumsy, rather than cohesive, at least in this current form. I like the Telelever suspension, so that going away isn't a "feature" I'm interested in, although a lot of folks who fancy themselves as more "sporting" riders don't like Telelever, so will rejoice at the presence of "real" forks. Whatever.
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

DarkWhite does more for me. I suspect the NineT is why Dave Robb left Motorrad unexpectedly.
Bill
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

The first bike has a high single muffler. Camhead motors in those pictures. maybe they are testing the front ends.

My plan for my 2012 was to get 100,000 + miles out of it. So far I have 24,000 in the first year. Maybe 200,000 instead. I like my telelever. Real Racers have forks. I am not even a wannabe racer.

I have seen another picture of a similar bike. Seat like a board. Gold forks YUK!

Thanks for the post
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

The photos look fairly true to the illustration released at EICMA last year(?) Looks as if you get various seat and exhaust options.
Bill
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

SF_Hooligan wrote:I'm with you. It looks kind of funky and clumsy, rather than cohesive, at least in this current form. I like the Telelever suspension, so that going away isn't a "feature" I'm interested in, although a lot of folks who fancy themselves as more "sporting" riders don't like Telelever, so will rejoice at the presence of "real" forks. Whatever.
Ditto on the forks. Putting "real" forks on a BMW just makes moto-journalists, who all fancy themselves uber-riders happy. Sort of like the new and very troublesome switch-gear on the other BMW models. And the headlight on it? Are we going for a harley look?

I will take it a step further than "meh" - it simply doesn't appeal to me at all, and it's sorta a "yuck" when compared with the current R1200R.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Doesn't trip my trigger.

Big fan of the tele/para lever system.

I suppose there's enough call for the changes, but they don't make me want to swap.

I'm not a fan of the tank styling either.

Overall, if they were side by side and I could take either my 2012 or that, I'd take the 2012 every time.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Reminds me of a quote from "The Wiz" years ago as follows: "Shes the one that put the UGGGG in ugly, but sure had pretty nice shoes!" :D Not even remotely interested in the design and it looks like the front end is extremely heavy and cumbersome.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

deilenberger wrote:Ditto on the forks. Putting "real" forks on a BMW just makes moto-journalists, who all fancy themselves uber-riders happy. Sort of like the new and very troublesome switch-gear on the other BMW models. And the headlight on it? Are we going for a harley look?

I will take it a step further than "meh" - it simply doesn't appeal to me at all, and it's sorta a "yuck" when compared with the current R1200R.
I hate that the BMW switchgear is going away. I've always thought it made more sense. I've even noodled with the idea of putting "real" BMW switches on my li'l Dakar.
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

So the big question is what, if anything, does the NineT mean for the future of the R12R?

Moving ahead, the R-line includes the liquid-cooled engine, as the GS and the impending update to the RT. Presumably, the R would follow. Yet, in some ways, the NineT and the R overlap. Two naked bikes seems redundant. Who is (was) Motorrad targeting with the R, and who with the NineT?

I'm wondering if the DarkWhite is the end of the R as we know it. Based on the new GS's performance, riding a liquid-cooled R sounds enthralling. But this NineT is a wildcard. Is it a one-off, designed to clear legacy parts like the DarkWhite? Or is it the future of Motorrad naked bikes?

edit: Removed redundant sentence.
Last edited by websterize on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

The large cover over the intake tube and airbox, along with the lines at the back of the tank, just combine to spoil the appearance of the bike. It makes the tank look even bigger than the R1200r tank. It looks like the same guy who worked on the R1200C styled this. What are they thinking?! BMW, please drag the guy who designed the R65 back from retirement to help you out.
jkhomes
Double Lifer

Post by jkhomes »

Now Bill has me worried. I was hoping to upgrade to an R1200R with the water cooled engine in a few years. The reviews on the new GS motor are great. Looks like the water boxer RT is already on the way. Every time I read about a Triumph Speed Triple in a motorcycle magazine, I wonder why our roadsters don't get more credit.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

I think it looks ok. It's not necessarily my taste but there are advantages to the telescopic fork set up and the seat with cowl looks kinda cool. It kinda caters to the younger hipster crowd who are into the rebirth of the cafe racer fad. Also direct competition for the Ducati Monster or Triumph Speed Triple.

Barry
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I like it, wouldnt buy it.
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

The goal of the NineT is three-fold: to pay homage to the brand's history; to entice Gen Xers and Millenials to Motorrad's bloated baby boomer brand; and to clear the shelves in Berlin of components in time for the liquid-cooled R in 2015 (2007-2010 hexhead; 2011-2014 camhead; 2015+ wethead).

If the NineT didn't have the camhead engine, that'd be cause for concern.
Bill
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Must be fun around the ole BMW test facility.....

Hans: "Yo, (Germans say Yo often) Bruno do you want to have some fun?"

Bruno:" Ja, vhat's kick'n Hans?"

Hans: "Loan me the front end off your dirt bike, and go get the tank and seat off of Manfred's cafe racer. I'm going to screw with the minds of some motorcycle paparazzi."

Bruno: "Ja, Ja und also get the headlight off of one of the old heaps down in the museum. This will be the most fun since we strapped those R65 jugs and some roundels on Klaus' Hyabusa."
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

I dont think its that bad.. grrandma probably couldnt tell the difference between it and a r-r. :) I'm just excited BMW is bringing out something new in our arena.
Member #1
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I DO like the looks of the front end on this bike. I don’t mind the telelever front end on my 07 but I like the looks of the gold anodized forks and if I had had the choice I would have opted for regular forks. Much of my preference I will admit is just the looks of regular forks over the telelever ones. It makes a body wonder why no one else is using the telelever set up? Why does BMW not use it on all of its own bikes, including its best fastest sporting bike?
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
jkhomes
Double Lifer

Post by jkhomes »

It's official.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclu ... node__8300

I like this bike a lot, but am still going to wait for a water cooled boxer.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4