New Naked

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: New Naked

Post by websterize »

Completely forgot there was a subgroup for the NineT on this site. Have asked that the NineT thread I started in the R12R subgroup be moved here.

John, I really like NineT, too, especially its machined hardware. I'll be surprised if some of this visual verve doesn't end up on the liquid-cooled R12R. Let's hope there will be one and that it ships to the USA.
Bill
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I very much like what I've seen of the Nine T. I've been riding telelever Beemers (among other bikes) for 15 years, and have always appreciated them. It's not surprising that using a conventional fork would provoke cries of heresy here, but really, a quality fork is a perfectly fine front suspension (also facilitates better placement of the oil cooler). The styling is eye of the beholder and all, but the minimalist nine T approach works for me. If you don't like it don't buy it.

On the downside, it apparently will lack the practicality of the RxxxxR series, but I've had a lot of fun with other impractical rides I've had or have (eg., Buell, 1200 C Sportster, Diavel), so that doesn't rule it out for me. Of course, it doesn't hurt if you can contemporaneously own a "practical/versatile" motorcycle as well. As my 11 year-old R1150R is apparently dying, I'm glad BMW is offering this interesting alternative boxer, although I'll reserve final judgment until I see the real thing (hopefully at the NYC moto show on December 13).
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

I totally agree. I am glad to see BMW doing something a little different. I looked at modern classic type bikes (not sure of official verbiage) and they were either not done well or were $30K. I htink this is a nice blend of quality,modern components and a classic feel. It should look stunning in person!

I made this new section in the hopes that we can start a community here for it.
Member #1
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

It won't really be a community until someone buys one. It would have to have a place to hang panniers before I would buy one. I might like the way it looked but if it wasn't practical I would not buy it.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Looks cool in the pics to my eye. Gets unveiled in the flesh to us here in 'Blighty' @ The NEC show next month. Price TBC also...
My F800R might have to go next summer if I can't resist it...
wyoplinker
Basic User

Post by wyoplinker »

I think this bike looks great. They say it was built with customization in mind from the very start, so I'm sure somebody will come up with a rear seat section to accept panniers very soon. I definitely hope to get one when they become available in the spring.

Chris
jroadhouse
Donating Member #: 937

Post by jroadhouse »

Has anyone out there ridden the nineT . . . or know anyone who has? I am curious about actual riding experience.

Thanks.
'11 R 1200 R
'15 R Nine T
Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Saw the new bike at the show yesterday. I like it a lot. £11,600
foobar
Basic User

Post by foobar »

It sorta looks like a BMW rendition of a Diavel-- to me at least.

And Ducati cant seem to make enough of those...
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/us-du ... 50962.html

If I had to guess at BMW's intentions...
2002 R1150R (gone)
2006 K1200R
2008 R1220R
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

As a Diavel owner myself, I don't disagree with your observation.

2002 R1150R
2007 K1200GT
2012 Diavel
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

I'm in the market for a new bike as I've had mine 10 years, but the spoked wheels with tubes are a deal breaker for me. I had bikes with tubed tires back in the day, and the trouble I had got me really, really over anything with tubes in the tires.

A guy at work actually plunked down a deposit, and is now having second thoughts because of the wheels.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

lcarlson wrote:As a Diavel owner myself, I don't disagree with your observation.

2002 R1150R
2007 K1200GT
2012 Diavel
Why not? :)
rickmbmw
Basic User

Post by rickmbmw »

I have an '02 R1150R and a '13 R1200R...I love this genre of BMW. I just placed a deposit on the R Nine T. I suspect I will be tempted if the R1200R comes out with the water cooled motor, too. I don't think I can part with my R1150R because I would never be able to sell it for what it's worth to me. I completed the Four Corners Tour on it this July in just over a week so I feel an emotional connection to it. I may have to part with the R1200R since it's the closest to the R Nine T.

There just seems to be so many great choices now.
Rick Muhr
MOA Lifetime Member #55708
BMW RA #20493
BMW R1150R
BMW R1200R Classic
BMW R1200GS
fpgirard
Lifer

Post by fpgirard »

RnineT? FUGGGly.

I'm waiting for the wasser R1200R - you know it's coming..... that's my next bike.

In the meantime, I'll put miles on the 1150R.... which I still love.
2003 R1150R
1995 K75 (sold)
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

RnineT? FUGGGly.
You know, a lot of people feel that way about the R1150R... It's a good thing you're so certain the R1200RW won't be "fuggly". :roll:
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
wyoplinker
Basic User

Post by wyoplinker »

fpgirard wrote:RnineT? FUGGGly.
In my opinion, this describes every bike BMW has made since they quit making the R100R in 1995. I, for one, am glad that they decided to build a bike that looks like a motorcycle again. I'm also glad that you are happy with your spaceship looking, plasticky, dromedary thing. BTW, I own a 2000 R1100R, just don't like the looks of it. Oh yeah, I guess the S1000RR bikes weren't fuggly, just not my thing.
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

Since I've owned one for eleven years, I'm obviously biased, but have thought from the introduction that the R1150R is one of the best-looking motorcycles BMW has ever made. Unfortunately, mine is dying (needed repair too expensive to justify, given low market value).
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

<<BTW, I own a 2000 R1100R, just don't like the looks of it.>>

I had a 98 R1100R, before the '50 R. Had the same problem.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

The more I look at the detailed photos the more I like.
The nineT is on my radar for a replacement to my trusty 07' R which will stay in the family and become Nancy's second bike.... goodbye 650GS.
I really like the styling, it's a modern classic without trying too hard like many other bikes.
BMW is smart and breathing in some younger blood into their lineup... Some soft panniers (already have a few option in the garage for dirt bikes), a fly screen when someone makes one for it and I'll ride the hell out if it... maybe that single exhaust too.
Tubes are great, I can always change or patch a tube easily where as you can't always fix a tubeless tire with plugs when traveling. BTDT

Anyways, my local dealer showed me this for a little more info, looking forward to seeing one in person next month when they start coming in. No options besides alarm.
Good, I don't want anything else besides heated grips and ABS, leave the high tech crap to the other bikes and don't force me to buy gizmos I don't need. I can add heated grips easily enough.

Get Lost!
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I wasn't too sure about this thing until I saw it at the IMS in D.C..I found myself back there looking at it several times! That thing is cool for sure! I am sure someone will make a cool looking flyscreen for it. :)
Buckster '03R