I'm selling my 07' R1200R.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.
Basic User

Re: I'm selling my 07' R1200R.

Post by Steve H. »

Hi,Joe!

Congrats,on your new bike! It looks awesome.Be safe on your new bike!

BRGDS Steve H. :D

Please don't drive too fast :lol:
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Hey, Joe,
Disclaimer: I have the flu and when I have fever I get dense(r) and stupid(er).

So, other than the lure of the strange (dopamine spikes are hard to resist) and aesthetics, what does the r9t offer that the new r12r would not?

I fully appreciate your reasons to retire your 12, but isn't the r9t arguably a step down? No hard case ava, only a sport screen, no linked brakes, no telelever. It may have all the quality Berlin is able to incorporate, but those things lacking seem important for long distance riding, at least to me. Coming back from Big Bend last week in 38 degree rain/sleet, I was glad I had all of those things, ie a big enough cee bailey screen, linked brakes, hard cases and telelever suspension.
Looking at it the other way, if you had a r9t for years and it was approaching retirement for the resaons you list, wouldn't all the things it lacks vis a vis the r12r make a compelling argument to get the r12r?

Not challenging your decision, but I'me sure you thought about these things?

John

Hi John,
I know what you mean about thinking straight when sick... hope you get well soon!

As for the decision to replace my 12R with the 9T, I don't believe it's a step down at all. To me the soul of the BMW roadster is in the boxer motor, not in the tele lever or linked brakes. Sure those features on my R have been great, but we have 3 other bikes in the garage with standard forks and brakes and I've never wished they had anything different.
To me, tele lever and linked brakes are more of a safety feature vs a performance/comfort feature, and I'm ready for better performance with more manual control and feedback from the bike.
Having a boxer motor on a simpler and more "standard" bike is just perfect for me at this point in time of my life, I want something new and different, but not too different. Like I said I really did keep an open mind when looking around for a replacement but nothing out there really was the whole package I'm interested in. A Classic would be great, but not really much different than my current bike, just newer.
As for long distance traveling, I've been doing quite a bit of it in the last few years on my Husaberg FE570, something I try to keep out of this forum since it's not the place for DS bike talk really. But, since I know I can accomplish and actually enjoy very long days riding on a small bike with no windscreen (record is 850 miles, many 500+ mile days) I see no issue with touring on a stock 9T and with time some screen options will come around, though I want nothing more than a sport screen or bikini fairing to keep the aesthetics in line with the design of the bike. My Rukka riding suit protects me from the elements 100% with or without a screen.
As mentioned I don't need hard cases for traveling at all, my multi-week camping pack fits into 33 liters of soft bag space after investing in very lightweight and compact camping gear, a necessity on a small bike. Security is no issue since I don't frequent places I need to be concerned about locking things up. Plus, when Nancy and I are traveling, we'll have hard cases just the same on the 12R. :mrgreen:

Now, all what I just said to technically justify my trade of bikes is fine and dandy, but the most important thing is I LOVE the looks of the 9T over the current offerings of the 12R, by a long shot. I like nice things, I like the small details, I like being on something even more exclusive. It just fits my self image and any shortcomings in certain comparisons whether real or imagined I will deal with to own and ride one of these.
You gotta follow your heart and my heart is saying this is the bike for me.... until I feel it's time for something else. My 12R kept my heart happy for 7 years, a long time for an A.D.D person like myself but it's time for something new both technically and emotionally. :mrgreen:

Thanks Steve!
Get Lost!
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

There is no method to explain what is seen as beauty, nor any argument to contradict.

I figured you had this thing thought out, and by your comments it's clear you did.

I wanted to know, having read your input over the years. I knew you were about function and there seemed to be a piece missing in your logic, but you said it all when you said "Having a boxer motor on a simpler and more "standard" bike is just perfect for me at this point in time of my life" and suggesting what role it will play. Understand, thanks. Sounds logical.
good luck with the new girl.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

I'd have to agree with Lost Rider about the telelever front fork. My next bike will most likely not have a telelever front end. The linked brakes are nice I can't argue against them but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way.

Although the telelever front end is brilliant at preventing front end dive and is rock solid stable at speed, it isn't without its costs. For its time, there was no rival in a production motorcycle but a modern conventional, or more so inverted fork, is superior to a telelever fork. Modern properly damped forks dont suffer from front end dive nearly as much as in the past and the front end feel is much better. Additionally they can provide a more supple ride feel without being under damped. I know some will argue this to death but having ridden several bikes, the telelever does feel vague in corners in comparison. A conventional fork is more confidence inspiring when things get twisty.

With that said, I can appreciate the telelever on my R1200R; the planted straightline feel is unsurpassed. It simply becomes more stable and planted feeling the faster you go. My R1200R will do 80 and feel like a lesser bike doing 55. I also like it just because it's different, better in some ways not in others, much like the boxer motor.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
Scriber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1127

Post by Scriber »

Kriega tail packs and tank bags are a terrific option for the 9T. Completely waterproof, extremely well made. Mix and match sizes/components. I think Revzilla sells them. I bought them for my Speed Triple, and now use them on my R12R. When you first start using them they are a bit fiddly. But with a little experience they are very easy to use. Easy on, easy off.

If you get a set I'd be happy to discuss their use. Also, search them on youtube for a couple of great reviews.

Can't wait for your review of the bike.
2013 R1200R
The meaning of my motorcycle: www.betweenmachine.com
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

Do you have a delivery date for "your" bike yet?

Heard from a local dealer that BMW apparently already have sold all the bikes for '14.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Lost, I'm so jealous! I'm also curious on the eta.

We should move this to the nineT forum. It would be of the firsts posts in there! :)
Member #1
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Thanks all!
No ETA yet, I'm 7th in line at my local dealer and was told once the initial 2 allotted bikes they have coming this month arrive they will be able to submit their other confirmed "pre" orders. Once that happens I should get an ETA. No 9T's will be floor demo models I was told, BMW wants to get these bikes on the streets.
Luckily my local dealer, Ventura County BMW seems to sell a lot of new bikes year round, and from the rumors around the web higher volume dealers will be able to order more bikes that those that don't. Some speculation says only 1400 coming to the US total in 2014, as long as one of them is mine I'm happy. :D
Nancy and I are discussing a long ride for this summer, Alaska or Newfoundland maybe to break in the 9T properly but we can't really plan anything until I get a firm ETA.
It's going to be a long slow spring while waiting....

Doug, where ever you think this thread should reside is fine by me... it started out as a topic on my R12R but has and will evolve further into a 9T thread so it makes sense what you're saying. :D
Get Lost!
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Post by atractaspis »

I am glad the R will stay in the family :) and if my R wasn't so new (or the 9T had already been out when I was looking for a bike) I would have a very hard time resisting the 9T!! I have been in love with it since I saw the first 'real' pictures of it. My dealer told me they will get one the end of this month and will call me so I can at least look at it... sit on it... dream of it :)

Should I win the lottery the 9T will be in my garage next to my R ...

Can't wait to see pictures of your trips with the 9T once you have it!

Now, lets hope the weather prediction for Indiana is write and I will be on my R in a day or two again! (had not planned on overwinter storage for my bike..but snow and ice are the only conditions I will avoid).

Hope the waiting will be over soon and at least you can get an ETA in the near future!
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

Sat on the 9T at the IMS in Seattle. It is well done and looks and feels fantastic. You will not be disappointed. The 9T (and also the S1000R) got a lot of attention, more than the new Super Duke 1290 or Monster 1200 S.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
shawn_speed
Basic User

Post by shawn_speed »

The brochure for the sales reps is very informative. Thank you for posting it. I love the pictorial color coding of what came from our bikes and what is new.

I have a question. The specs show the alternator at 600 watts. I had also seen specs on the R1200R saying the European version is 740 but US is 600 watts. What are the actual numbers?

What an awesome bike! Congratulations.
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

Hey Lost Rider!

If you want an RnineT sooner..there is one available (will arrive next week) at the BMW motorcycle store in Santa Fe (still a pretty new dealer). I am going on a road trip with friends to NM (mostly Santa Fe area) in March, and tried to find out if there is anybody there renting a BMW to ride around in northern New Mexico (I decided following my friends' car on my bike was not going to be as much fun... rather do another trip alone later on), and the dealer there (he found me a contact in Santa Fe who rents BMWs!!) told me that they are getting a RnineT next week and that it is still available! =D>

So maybe a fun road trip to NM to pick up your RnineT there?

If you are as inpatient as I am (most people are way more patient than me though), I figured you might want to know about this bike :D
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

atractaspis,

Thanks for the heads up! I'm locked into buying the bike from my local dealer, Ventura County BMW with a deal for the trade in already done. Plus it's a great dealer, it's my dealer, and I wouldn't buy a bike from anyone else even if I had to wait....

But what sounded like would be at least a couple month wait has changed quickly. Five people in line in front of me passed on their spots for various reasons and I'm getting my new nineT NEXT WEEK! :mrgreen:
My bike has just been assigned to me and we're hoping it ships tomorrow, or monday at the latest, which has me on it at the end of the week if I'm lucky. (didn't know BMW fly's their bikes out here, but the 9T is getting on a plane!) I might be leaving it at the dealer for a day or two so they can have one on the floor to show people, their first one was there for 3 hours before the lucky owner rode off on it.(in the big California rain storms)
They have a spanking new gorgeous Dark White 12R on the showroom floor, I have to say it was very tempting to just stay with something proven to be an all-rounder and easy to setup as a tourer.... but in the end the allure of the 9T kept me focused.

I'll be putting my Mayer Saddle up for sale in the Buy, Sell and Trade forum soon, probably tomorrow if anyone's interested.

On another note, Wunderlich has a fairing for the 9T I'm going to have to have, available in April...

Get Lost!
Woland
Basic User

Post by Woland »

Congrats on the early delivery date. That fairing looks good on the T.

Might be interested in the Mayer depending on price and shipping ;) It would go to a good home...
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Papers signed, G650GS traded in.... the R1200R is now officially.... not mine!

The nineT is set to be delivered anytime, could be today or in the next few days!

I did get some nineT parts in though, the right side heated grip and heated grip switch plus my new helmet.

Excitement and a bit of sadness all bundled into one.

Mayer seat up for sale in the selling forum too...
Get Lost!
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

congratulations!!! =D> =D> =D>

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Wow, you really did get moved up. Congrats! I'm going Friday (50 degrees!). It's nice that the R12R is staying in the family. You've put a lot of love and blood into that beast.

Can't wait to see the bike and hear your initial impression.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

Congrats on the impending arrival.
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

After I get some seat time I post up some more comments, thoughts and such soon. For now here's some photos to share.

It's here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Get Lost!
Woland
Basic User

Post by Woland »

Lost Rider wrote:After I get some seat time I post up some more comments, thoughts and such soon. For now here's some photos to share.

It's here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's a really good looking bike you have there, congrats :smt023