R Nine Me

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

R Nine Me

Post by Karamazov »

It's official :)

Just waiting on the accessories, should be able (weather permitting) to pick her up next weekend. I've added the tank bag, tail bag, led signals, kneepads, and cowl. I had originally had the low Akropovic exhaust on the list as well, but after hearing the stock can in person, I'm quite happy with it - and prefer the look. Can't wait to start racking up some miles.

N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: R Nine Me

Post by sweatmark »

Nice.

Give us a ride report, with comparison of ride dynamics for R nine's forks versus Telelever bikes.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Awesome!
Congrats.

I feel the same way now about the exhaust, I finally saw/heard one in the flesh today and cancelled the exhaust i had ordered.

Having it sitting there and not being able to ride must be driving you crazy! I'll send you some of these warm sunny california weather vibes.

Cheers
Get Lost!
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

Having it sitting there and not being able to ride must be driving you crazy! I'll send you some of these warm sunny california weather vibes.
Thanks Finn, but I've still got the R1200R for the time being and sunny and 37 is plenty warm :) Heading out for a ride shortly. I'm happy to let the R9T rest until the salt is gone.

On a disappointment note. No factory center stand available - kinda bummed about that. I mean, I get it - but I'm still kinda bummed. Hoping the aftermarket steps up on that one soon.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

OMG I'm jealous! Congrats on the new toy!!! =D> We definitely need more pics and that trip report.
Member #1
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Karamazov wrote:
Thanks Finn, but I've still got the R1200R for the time being and sunny and 37 is plenty warm :) Heading out for a ride shortly. I'm happy to let the R9T rest until the salt is gone.

On a disappointment note. No factory center stand available - kinda bummed about that. I mean, I get it - but I'm still kinda bummed. Hoping the aftermarket steps up on that one soon.

You have more patience than I my friend... ;)
I have a feeling I might be a little more protective of this bike too than I was with the R, it's just too pretty, luckily we don't have any road salt to contend with.

My first impression when I sat on one compared to the R is how small it feels, something to get used to I guess.
In the end all I ordered with mine is heated grips (backordered from Germany), a service manual (also backordered from BMW, got mine coming from italy from ebay) and a new Arai helmet, I figured the rest can wait. I sure do like the looks of that cowl though, looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing your impressions.

Yeah I know what you mean with the center stand, I get it too but still... That was one of the things I looked closely at when checking it out yesterday, the lower frame area seems different than our R's, there's no frame point that I can see to mount a center stand like on the R, we'll see what aftermarket does.
I have one of these for my dirt bikes and am hoping it will work for the 9T to take on long trips so incase I get a flat I can do roadside repairs.

http://www.endurostar.com

With no center stand I also just bought one of these for the garage in anticipation of needing to support the bike for service and tinkering.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE0R7W/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

Will you be servicing it yourself?

Again congrats!
It's great to see fellow R120R.org members getting this bike. Mine shipped friday and I should have it next week!

Doug, this is no toy, it's a tool! A precision Roadster scalpel... ;)
Get Lost!
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

You have more patience than I my friend... ;)
I have a feeling I might be a little more protective of this bike too than I was with the R, it's just too pretty, luckily we don't have any road salt to contend with.
It really is pretty. I can only imagine that the people who think it looks rough, or unfinished have yet to see it in person. It's a stunning piece of rolling art. I won't lie, I'm pretty utilitarian when it comes to motorbikes (or anything really) and come next winter, I'll still probably pull the R9T out in the salt, because I gotta ride. But I'll let it stay purdy for now and do my best to keep the salt and grime off it until I've at least had a chance to show it off.
My first impression when I sat on one compared to the R is how small it feels, something to get used to I guess.
In the end all I ordered with mine is heated grips (backordered from Germany), a service manual (also backordered from BMW, got mine coming from italy from ebay) and a new Arai helmet, I figured the rest can wait. I sure do like the looks of that cowl though, looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing your impressions.
For whatever similarities it has to the R12R, swinging a leg over the R9T once will dispel any notions of it being anything close. You really do sit on it, not sunk into it like on the R12R. The bike (especially the tank) feels underneath you. I test rode some Monsters last Fall, and the R9T is much more a relative to the Italians than the Germans. As far as the accessories, go - I had to have the cowl, it just looks too damn good. The tank and tail bags are a necessity, and I really like the bike specific design and the canvas construction. My first motorcycle was a Triumph Bonneville (with kneepads) and I love the look, so I had to have them. I figure my Haynes Manual (camhead) will still be 90% relevant, and yes I do my own service - most anyway. I'll pick up a BMW service manual to fill in the blanks. I actually passed on the heated grips this round. All but one bike I've owned had them. My honest impression has always been that they have about a 10 degree range of usefulness, and in that 10 degree range, they're really just a luxury item. Granted, I don't ever put handguards on my bikes, and if I had, heated grips would be much more useful. But for the most part, by the time it's so cold that I'd need heated grips, the insulated gloves I'm wearing to keep my hands (especially the front) warm are blocking out the heat from the grips anyway.

I have the Bike Krutch from Aerostitch, from back when I had my G650X. I never had to use it, but will keep it in my tank bag on the R9T just in case. It's just a personal preference, but I think every motorcycle, regardless of riding style or design should come standard with a center stand. It's worth it just for airing up and cleaning wheels, not to mention more intensive servicing or roadside repairs. C'est la vie.

Thanks again guys, I'll be updating with pics and ride report after I've put the first 500 on her. Really excited about this bike!
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

Do you already count the hours? :)
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

Do you already count the hours? :)
Yup. Going to end this hostage crisis on Saturday afternoon. The beast is Bavarian, it can handle the 30 degree weather ;)
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

Everything I hoped for and more. This is an easy bike to love. Pure, simple, unadulterated moto-joy.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

What is the difference between this and the paralever on the R1200R?
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

What is the difference between this and the paralever on the R1200R?
No difference.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
RnineT60
Basic User

Post by RnineT60 »

Kaz sorry to hear your sell it!