Back here + on a Boxer: feels like coming home

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Back here + on a Boxer: feels like coming home

Post by Parkblu »

A boxer (and this forum) is quite like Pasta Carbonara or good 'Cue – after you didn't have it for a while, you realize how much you missed it.

So after my BMW hiatus on a board Triumph Tiger 800xc for a few years (1150 R before that), since Sunday I'm back aboard with a Scrambler.

A 5mos-old used one about 150 mi away, only 400 mi on the clock, ASC, heated grips, spoked rims (the latter I probably wouldn't have bothered with had I bought new), flawless – that was too good to be true at a 20% discount from new.

Even on the test ride which the seller had agreed to, I felt right back at home on the Scrambler (except for that stinky low seat, and those thin and hard grips). There is something with the boxer and this bike I simply didn't find on other rides I tried.

My local dealer (family owned and great people) are probably not being too happy with me. But that discount leaves some money for a better saddle (or more beads) and thicker grips.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the road, and many of you again here.
Scrambler, was R1150R
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Back here + on a Boxer: feels like coming home

Post by Buckster »

Welcome back! Let us know how the bike feels after a couple of months to see how your experience has been with it.
Buckster '03R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I would miss the boxer engine too much. I cant let go.

welcome back. scrambler is a cool looking bike.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

I was under the impression the R9T used the old R1150R boxer engine. That's how I landed here. Love that engine. If they made a "new" bike using it, I'd like to be in on that.
Craig
'02 R1150R - second time around after 8 years away
'85 BMW R80 - I have a thing for Airheads
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

CNorris wrote:I was under the impression the R9T used the old R1150R boxer engine. That's how I landed here. Love that engine. If they made a "new" bike using it, I'd like to be in on that.
Unfortunately not - it's the 'Hex-head' engine (I don't know if the latest ones use the new liquid cooled / shift-cam engine though).

I don't think they'd get the 1150 engine through the emissions regulations any more.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life