abs again

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

tench1954
Basic User

abs again

Post by tench1954 »

first time posting so i welcome everyone ;-)
i have a problem with the abs / rear brake, the warning lights came on when my son was going to take the rock out,. he could tell what was wrong so went out anyway.
i then tried it, no lights for about a mile the flashing at 4hz no rear circuit, stripped the brakes and bled front and rear, new fluid.
now when i take it out i get about 6 to 10 miles before the lights come on and the rear circuit fails, switch off for a few minuites and the lights are out on start up but only for a few yards then start again.
i suspect electrical but can't find any problems, is it a case of head to the nearest dealer 60 miles away and pay for a code read ?
tench1954
Basic User

Re: abs again

Post by tench1954 »

well with no one coming up with any ideas i think i will take the tank off and bleed the the rear system again and make sure all electrical contacts are clean and see what happens. if that doesent work then i will take it for a code read at the dealers in Gateshead.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

For reference, iABS warning lamp info:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=04302013

See fiche category 71 - Equipment Parts

# Part Number Description lb Qty Each
01 01 46 7 663 596 STICKER, INTEGRAL BRAKE (FAILURES)

Same info printed in owners' manual, of course.

Grab the sticker image, keep file on your phone for reference.

No idea about your iABS fault. Rear wheel sensor? Or something internal to the iABS modulator's rear circuit plumbing, eg. fluid strainer or pressure transducer. You can google for clues, but iABS1 remains enigmatic after these many years.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
tench1954
Basic User

Post by tench1954 »

Thanks sweatmark, gen light on and abs flashing at 4hz one circuit in residual , which would be the rear.
will check what i can then see what happens.
Grrooney
Basic User

Post by Grrooney »

Did you get to the bottom of the problem? I have similar symptoms on R1150r.
tench1954
Basic User

Post by tench1954 »

Not yet Grrooney just haven't had the time to get out for a run, bled the system again and cleaned electrical contacts.
might get a run this weekend and see what happens if it shows up again i will see about a code read.
i will post the results when i get them.
tench1954
Basic User

Post by tench1954 »

I think i may have solved the problem altho still not perfect but looks like a bit of corosion between the wheel and hub giving a bad signal from the rear sensor.
Still had a warning after a 80 mile ride after being parked for an hour but switching off and back on it was ok.
Have since done a 150 mile ride and it was ok so will give everything a clean when i get time.
spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by spoon »

Just a comment from a user. The rear caliper seems to need a lot of attention (TLC). I ended up removing the power pack because of a malfunction. The operation of the brakes after the removal is more user friendly than with the power pack. Especially at low speeds. Lever effort is the same as far as I can tell and stopping distance is not compromised. My indicators of something going wrong was woonkie ABS actions when stopping, even on dry road.
sikim7
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by sikim7 »

tench1954 wrote:I think i may have solved the problem altho still not perfect but looks like a bit of corosion between the wheel and hub giving a bad signal from the rear sensor.
Still had a warning after a 80 mile ride after being parked for an hour but switching off and back on it was ok.
Have since done a 150 mile ride and it was ok so will give everything a clean when i get time.
Have you cleared the problem completely?
Actually I have the same problem. At first ride there is no problem but a few miles after 4 Hz warning light up.
Mine is 2003 rockster.
Give me valuable advice.
Your experience would be big help to me.

Sean
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

You probably checked already, but in case you didn't... make sure the battery is in good shape. A weak battery will cause all sorts of ABS issues. Good luck!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster