Hello from Melbourne Australia....Newbie Rockster '03

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Wooly11
Lifer

Hello from Melbourne Australia....Newbie Rockster '03

Post by Wooly11 »

Hi All
I have just joined the forum after purchasing an 03 Rockster White one with 30ooo Klms on it
It has some mods I like and some I don't. Large screen will go, bar risers with setback will go, aftermarket bars will go.
It has had some mods to lower the seat and the tail which will stay.
I am after stock Rockster bars and heated grips to bring it back to OEM standards,
It has a soft top box and luggage rails. I have bought some panniers to suit.
I have fitted Boosterplug to previous BMs I've owned with good success so probably that or similar to be fitted.
I haven't actually seen the bike yet....it gets here on Saturday.
I'll ride it for a few weeks to decide what needs doing and what is OK
jasondo
Basic User

Re: Hello from Melbourne Australia....Newbie Rockster '03

Post by jasondo »

Greetings!!

So a white one eh? That means your lucky enough to have purchased a rare 80th anniversary edition. Only 2003 made. Here is a link to read up on more info.

http://www.bobsbmw.com/motorcycles/80thAnnvRedux.html
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Welcome, congrats. :)

Pics please!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

white rockster? the edition 80!? cool.

One of the best looking bikes out there. IMO. Spent much time drooling on the PC screen back then.... :)

good luck
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Wooly11
Lifer

Post by Wooly11 »

Had the bike a couple of days
Took of an ugly large windscreen, engine protection bars and some ugly bar risers.
Gave it a bath an changed the catalyst Y replacement and aftermarket exhaust with an original cat and muffler.
Want it as original as possible.
Looking for OEM Rockster centre stand, handlebars and heated grips.
It's says number 50 of 2003 on the plaque.

The alloy top plate is a bit weathered and bits and pieces are a little tired so will spend some more time cleaning an polishing.
Took a small test ride. Not registered yet!
Keen on an AF-XIED or Booster Plug.

Loving it so far
Wooly11
Lifer

Post by Wooly11 »

The story so far....
Just had an original set of bars fitted and rally like the change to a slightly more sports tourer stance. The higher bars were not too comfy for me.
Gave me an opportunity to refit some heated grips. Nice with winter just around the corner.
Also fitted a power outlet.
Still have a low seat fitted and going ok.
Fitted a triboseat non slip cover for the pillion seat
Have bought a centre stand but not fitted yet. Found a new one at a dealer for cheap but no springs or bolts and bushings.
Will fit shortly
Thanks to the generosity of people on the forum I was able to get a 'tea tray'. Love the look of it.
Found some panniers for cheap and in really good condition.
Bought a cheap topbox for the minute and will keep an eye out for an OEM one.
All cleaned up now but a few hours extra of cleaning will be well appreciated.
Only remaining major thing is the lowered rear suspension which I'll take off and bring back to normal height. Will have it survived at the same time.
Might see if I can get a rear hugger.
I normally get some aftermarket levers but quite like the OEM ones.
Still a question around a slip on muffler. Quite like the GP style Danmoto S/S muffler. Pretty cheap. My SV1000S has one of their dual systems and seems pretty good value for money.

I'll do some picks in a few days and try to post.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Wooly11 wrote: Bought a cheap topbox for the minute and will keep an eye out for an OEM one.
There isn't a OEM top-box that will go straight on the Rockster - I had to make up a rack-support system for the R1150R OEM top-box: see here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockburne ... 2402529933

FWIW that R1150R top box is NOT as large as it looks.... (but does look better than the Givi box...)
Wooly11 wrote: I'll do some picks in a few days and try to post.
I'd suggest using Flickr or PhotoBucket or similar - much easier than trying to upload to the forum itself.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

Sweet bike! And to let you know, the Edition 80 didn't come with a centerstand. I bought mine brand new and was a bit startled to learn this, myself. It was one of 2 add-ons that I had the dealer (Bob's BMW) install before I took possession. The other being the OEM windscreen. My Rockster had 11 miles on it when I rode it off the lot. ... crashed it a couple weeks ago with 87,415 miles on it. Wishing I'd thought to take off the series edition number plate.

Enjoy the bike!

Other user notes (Things that I added that proved useful):
Tank pads - the white matt paint on the tank is easily marked by zippers, etc. Wonderlich makes(made) some sweet black rubber ones that looked cool, and did the job.
You already added an accessory plug.
Soft tail bag instead of a tank bag or hard tail trunk. SW Motech makes a nice one.
madmax92104
Basic User

Post by madmax92104 »

Nice! I just bought mine 2 weeks ago! I love it ...so far
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

These are the tank pads. I put mine on within about 3 months of owning the bike. They stayed on, no problems, until the end. They're somewhat stiff rubber, about 1/4 inch thick (or a bit less). The black doesn't detract from the bike's looks.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 50084.html

P
Wooly11
Lifer

Post by Wooly11 »

My bike is coming along well in its revitalisation as an OEM Rockster
Now almost back to original. I love this bike. Just fitting some R1150GS hand guards for some added protection and a small fly screen. I know neither of those are OEM but being naked some protection is needed. They can both be easily removed.
I also gave the tea tray a sand, undercoat, top coat and clear varnish in a dark grey finish. It looks great.
Have asked if anybody has any old top box sitting around unused. Love to get one of those odd shaped r850r boxes.
Got a long weekend ride coming up and can't wait to see what 1000 miles or 1600 Kim's feels like...comfy I hope.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Wooly11 wrote:My bike is coming along well in its revitalisation as an OEM Rockster
Now almost back to original. I love this bike. Just fitting some R1150GS hand guards for some added protection and a small fly screen. I know neither of those are OEM but being naked some protection is needed. They can both be easily removed.
I also gave the tea tray a sand, undercoat, top coat and clear varnish in a dark grey finish. It looks great.
Have asked if anybody has any old top box sitting around unused. Love to get one of those odd shaped r850r boxes.
Got a long weekend ride coming up and can't wait to see what 1000 miles or 1600 Kim's feels like...comfy I hope.

If you find an R1150RT top box, (see my links above) I can probably send you the mounting brackets I made up. They're not perfect by any means, but they do the job.

I went back to my old Givi box simply because it carries more (2 helmets) where the R1150RT box struggles with one Arai.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kakaronaldo
Basic User

Post by kakaronaldo »

hello....welcome
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.