R1150R BMW Integral ABS 1 (iABS1) Removal

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: R1150R BMW Integral ABS 1 (iABS1) Removal

Post by sweatmark »

Macker1 wrote:I still dont really understand what you did to make the blue ABS relay work??
I have gone through my own process, have brake lights and tail light fine but no speedo, on a 2003 Rockster
Anyone any suggestions?
The relay has nothing to do with speedometer function. The speedo fix requires separate support circuit. Sent you a PM.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Macker1 wrote:I still dont really understand what you did to make the blue ABS relay work??
I have gone through my own process, have brake lights and tail light fine but no speedo, on a 2003 Rockster
Anyone any suggestions?
For brake & tail lights, just use the OE blue relay as you have done for R1150RT, per your PM. There's no difference between the RT and Rockster for the iABS brake switch, brake/tail lamps, and Fuse2 switched source.

The Rockster speedo gets its input signal from the iABS control board for ABS-equipped bikes, or from a dedicated sensor located in final drive for non-ABS versions.

When the iABS controller is removed, some type of replacement signal circuit has to be provided in order to supply the speedo signal. Using wheel speed as initial input is most common basis for the new circuit.

My Rockster speedo fix solutions have been 1. New rear wheel tone wheel, with custom VR sensor, direct connection to speedo inputs; 2. OE tone wheel and sensor on front wheel, frequency divider via SpeedoDRD, analog RC differentiator to condition signal for speedo; 3. GPS-based speed using NMEA output, Picaxe chip programmed to grab GPS serial strings, extract needed bytes, output as PWM to create analog voltage as input to voltage-to-frequency IC, which sends output to speedometer.

If none of these makes sense, then best option is to separate the iABS controller from the servo module, as referenced in first post for this thread.
Macker1
Basic User

Post by Macker1 »

So, to get speedo working a simple and easy way, split the ABS unit, and connect big connector in and i should have working Speedo? no other wiring needed when doing this?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Macker1 wrote:So, to get speedo working a simple and easy way, split the ABS unit, and connect big connector in and i should have working Speedo? no other wiring needed when doing this?
Simple and easy, like this guy did:
http://jpramondon.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... fully.html

Note that I didn't choose this option (my iABS was working fine when removed and worth selling), but this was my choice if the servo pump had failed.
Macker1
Basic User

Post by Macker1 »

Unfortunately for me, it ain't that simple. Isn't working for me :-( connected electrics off abs unit but still no speedo
Macker1
Basic User

Post by Macker1 »

Still no speedo for me, just can't get it, heres something else i noticed, when i have the brains of my ABS unit connected, i can't connect my diagnostics plug to my GS911, just won't read anything but when i disconnect the ABS unit brains it will read it just fine, but still no speedo...any ideas??
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

See PM, we'll get this figured out...

< edit >

Success. Glad it worked for you.
[email protected]
Basic User

Post by [email protected] »

Mr. Sweat, It seems I can not send PMs, as they all end up in my Outbox and sit there. As I only joined this board 24 hours ago, I am sure I am doing something wrong, or not doing something right.
If you can call me at 541-914-8783, at your convenience, perhaps that would be easiest. I am in Eugene, Oregon, and am available by phone during the day.
Just an update; got the lines re-rigged, bleeding them now, iABS1 unit and associated hard lines removed. No luck bleeding the rear, will try again tomorrow, maybe have to buy new lines. Electrically...
The wires from the huge plug do not appear to be long enough to reach the fuse box. After that, i am unclear as to where the five pin enters the system. Thanks so much for your help already, this single thread on the site was a God send! Kehn
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

PMs work... It's just that I've been out of town all week, with no time to sign in. I will call you today.

Sounds like you are a few wiring connections from completion.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

fabulous work "sweatmark"

new bmw owner here with some questions.... At first, I considered the ABS to be a nuisance, because of the whiny noise at stoplights.... now after much reading, I'm DEEPLY concerned this will fail, and I will be wrapped around a tree somewhere cursing BMW engineers. And down 2k plus :) Is that what happens? The brakes become useless? Brilliant design if that's the case.... :( I think I will pull it over the winter. Good down time project. And 14 lbs? holy smokes....

But, If it is safe to use, I will just let it die, then hack it up. Havent found a clear answer on that.

Mine is an R1150r. You are saying the speedo works on this model after pulling it? And the electrical modifications are to maintain brake light operation?? I'd prefer not to do any MAJOR wiring....

I was trying to come up with a base cost for it...But I didn't see that in writeup. What did that total hit for you? Doesn't seem like much.

sorry for redundant questions, just simplifying this for myself in my mind. thanks again!

-Eric
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

peels wrote: But, If it is safe to use, I will just let it die, then hack it up. Havent found a clear answer on that.

Mine is an R1150r. You are saying the speedo works on this model after pulling it? And the electrical modifications are to maintain brake light operation?? I'd prefer not to do any MAJOR wiring....

I was trying to come up with a base cost for it...But I didn't see that in writeup. What did that total hit for you?
Can't comment on the "safe to use" part, but if it was me I'd keep using the iABS until it failed... and even then, try the inexpensive fixes (stuck brake switch, low fluid level, worn brake disk, wheel speed sensor/ring operation, replace brake/tail bulb) to get it working again. The iABS certainly works well when it's working. Annoying, heavy, PITA to service, and un-subtle. But it stops an R1150cow like throwing out a hundred pound Danforth anchor.

Just keep riding, and if your iABS really craps out, then consider the un-ABS conversion for your Roadster, which requires little more that a couple of crimp terminals, wire cutter, and crush washers (though you could reuse those if you're cheap)... Yes, the conversion can be done for almost free on a bike with front axle speedometer drive.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

sweatmark wrote:
peels wrote: But, If it is safe to use, I will just let it die, then hack it up. Havent found a clear answer on that.

I was trying to come up with a base cost for it...But I didn't see that in writeup. What did that total hit for you?
Can't comment on the "safe to use" part, but if it was me I'd keep using the iABS until it failed... and even then, try the inexpensive fixes (stuck brake switch, low fluid level, worn brake disk, wheel speed sensor/ring operation, replace brake/tail bulb) to get it working again. The iABS certainly works well when it's working. Annoying, heavy, PITA to service, and un-subtle. But it stops an R1150cow like throwing out a hundred pound Danforth anchor.

Just keep riding, and if your iABS really craps out, then consider the un-ABS conversion for your Roadster, which requires little more that a couple of crimp terminals, wire cutter, and crush washers (though you could reuse those if you're cheap)... Yes, the conversion can be done for almost free on a bike with front axle speedometer drive.
Beauty!

thanks. I had just read a horror story about someone being stranded, and that concerned me.

and LOL at the Danforth. Just so happens last weekend we were out boating and got mine lodged...those babies HOLD! great analogy! haha

yeah no complaint about the brakes as they are, just worried about being stranded by that which was engineered to keep you safer., thats all.

thanks again. Think Ill just let it go until it dies, unless maybe we get a seriously cold winter here and I get "antsy" :)
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

Bringing this back from the dead since I don't want to start another thread. (and have very little to add).
I have completed iABSectomy couple of years ago, and the only thing that is "unfinished" is the sealing and mounting the "brain".
Mine is wrapped with duct tape and zip tied to the battery holder. Not really the long term solution, and it has been gnawing at me for a while now.

Does anybody have a good solution for this problem, my fellow reckless riders?
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

vwdoctor wrote:Bringing this back from the dead since I don't want to start another thread. (and have very little to add).
I have completed iABSectomy couple of years ago, and the only thing that is "unfinished" is the sealing and mounting the "brain".
Mine is wrapped with duct tape and zip tied to the battery holder. Not really the long term solution, and it has been gnawing at me for a while now.

Does anybody have a good solution for this problem, my fellow reckless riders?
you mean the relay?

mine is ziptied also.

I visualized a nice little bracket. but...i was too lazy.
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

I am not sure in your case, but in order to keep the speedometer I had to keep electrical portion. I am not sure if you cut the plug and did the relays, in theory you could have kept the electrical portion for the brake switches alone.

(NOT my picture)

91 K75RT

peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

vwdoctor wrote:I am not sure in your case, but in order to keep the speedometer I had to keep electrical portion. I am not sure if you cut the plug and did the relays, in theory you could have kept the electrical portion for the brake switches alone.

(NOT my picture)

ahhh

sorry. yep, I ditched ALL of it and wired in the. you have that speedo thats integrated with abs. I read a post about that. never really thought of what to do with the brainbox. :)
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

Here is what I have been tinkering with in my spare time.

Sorry for the huge picture.

91 K75RT