Advice please

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Duck Dodgers
Basic User

Advice please

Post by Duck Dodgers »

I am looking at a trade. My 2006 F650 GS w/ some goodies, abs, grips etc. plus around 500-600$ for an 04 Rockster. My bike has 17k miles. His has 30K miles, all the racks, but no luggage and Ohlins.

Good deal? :mrgreen: Bad Deal? [-X What issues should I look for? I've been told about a wiring harness issue on R1150R's binding up front. Do the center stad rear wheel shake for a quick FD check. And the flat paint is prone to chipping.

Anything else? I've done some searches on the sight and I come up w/ "they did not make many of these things" and the owners seem a little off bubble.. I think I could fit right in.
Witty signature pending.
Shoggoth
Basic User

Re: Advice please

Post by Shoggoth »

Since the Rockster is my first BMW I cant really say whether or not the trade is a good deal..

I can say that I love my Rockster. It's a really smooth ride and looks great on the road. Thats all I have in my 1 week of ownership...

Good Luck!
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Initially it looks good, (Ohlins = nice!), but have some other questions:

Does the rockster have ABS and heated grips? Maintenance records?

What color (not that it means anything, I'm just curious :)
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
Duck Dodgers
Basic User

Post by Duck Dodgers »

jfslater98 wrote:Initially it looks good, (Ohlins = nice!), but have some other questions:

Does the rockster have ABS and heated grips? Maintenance records?

What color (not that it means anything, I'm just curious :)
Records, ABS, Heated Grips, Screen, Barbacks, bag mounts, and Copper.
Witty signature pending.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

OK... thinking about it. Maybe a fair deal, as I just re-read the part about you handing over cash. I am going to assume all scheduled maintenance has been done on time. Although with an older bike like this, at 30K, there should be more entries for things like oil changes. There should be at least 3 brake and clutch flushes. Another may be due at the end of this season.

The BMW bags are about $400-450 on the used marketplace, keep that in mind since you mentioned touring. Have the fuel quick disconnects been replaced? The OEM plastic ones break early, and that's a risk now at this bike's age. Certainly test the rear wheel for Final Drive issues. Check the underside of the rear boot on the final drive. The drive can leak a bit of fluid from there. A bit. So if it's a little grimy, it could be OK. If it's wet, there is cause for concern.

That's about all I can remember now. Certainly take it for a test ride, make sure it feels right. Good luck!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
Roxster
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Roxster »

We seem to be a little off bubble... what is this bubble you speak of? I can look around the house for it later, but right now I need to go feed my unicorns.
Roxster

1 God,
1 Amazing Wife,
5 Cool Kids, and
04 Copper Rockster
rockstercliff
Donating Member #: 0

Post by rockstercliff »

You need to run away from this deal. All serious Rockster owners have the Citrus Green.