Hey all, new Rockster owner here.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MongooseGA
Basic User

Hey all, new Rockster owner here.

Post by MongooseGA »

Hey everyone. My name is G.A. I like long walks on the beach, dirty pictures, fast cars, and most recently, my 2005 Rockster.

I picked her up last night and rolled 3,000 miles on the way home from the dealership. Apparently it's a Canadian spec bike, and this color combo was never sold in the states. (Info provided by Morton's BMW in Virginia). So, kind of a cool thing to learn after I bought it that I'll probably never see another one like this.

Anyways, on to some basic cell phone pictures from the garage and the dealer before she came home:

This is the first motorcycle of my own. I'm super excited to have it and keep looking for excuses to go out and ride her. I may end up being a productive person when it comes to running errands now. :lol:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading up on the forums and learning all about the bike. The first thing on my list is a small wind screen, as 60 MPH wants to yank my helmet off!
daveysew
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Hey all, new Rockster owner here.

Post by daveysew »

Greetings from Canada and welcome to the board. Great looking bike! Though I hate to break it to you that it's not a Canadian spec bike based on the paint scheme. We got the same orange or green bikes as the US got, in addition to the edition 80. That being said since it's a custom paint job you won't see another one like it. Also if you bike has MPH anywhere on the speedo it's not Canadian our bikes only have km/h on the speedo. Very surprising that a dealer would have such a lack of knowledge about the bike when they can just run the VIN# and get the whole history. I'd be a bit more worried about knowledge base of dealer regarding any service you might need if they can't figure out something that basic...

Anyhow back on point, enjoy the bike, I got mine new in 2003 and love it, I'm sure you will to.

cheers,
dave
---------------
'03 Rockster
Black / Orange
MongooseGA
Basic User

Post by MongooseGA »

daveysew wrote:Greetings from Canada and welcome to the board. Great looking bike! Though I hate to break it to you that it's not a Canadian spec bike based on the paint scheme. We got the same orange or green bikes as the US got, in addition to the edition 80. That being said since it's a custom paint job you won't see another one like it. Also if you bike has MPH anywhere on the speedo it's not Canadian our bikes only have km/h on the speedo. Very surprising that a dealer would have such a lack of knowledge about the bike when they can just run the VIN# and get the whole history. I'd be a bit more worried about knowledge base of dealer regarding any service you might need if they can't figure out something that basic...

Anyhow back on point, enjoy the bike, I got mine new in 2003 and love it, I'm sure you will to.

cheers,
dave
Hm, this makes it a bit more tricky then. The info provided by Morton's was after they had run the VIN. I called Bob's BMW in Maryland two days prior and they couldn't even pull the VIN in their system. Apparently Morton's did some extra 'investigative' work and even found a name for the color. I'll have to call my dad to get the name again, it was German, obviously.

But, if it is a custom scheme, they did a damn great job. They even included typical BMW factory orange peel in the matte finish on the tank and tail. ;) They also replaced every factory sticker on the tank including the SERVO brake sticker right on top. The silver stripes on the tank and tail are also bordered by the same primary matte color, and not just cut out to be silver.

The speedometer does read in MPH and KPH, but that's something so easily changed (and could have been required for US registration) that I couldn't deduce an opinion or idea on that front.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Johnny
Basic User

Post by Johnny »

This is not custom paint job. There are some silver and black rocksters around. I think they were sold somewhere in Europe but can't remember more details. Enjoy your new ride...
Eveybody dies. Not every man really lives.
MongooseGA
Basic User

Post by MongooseGA »

Johnny wrote:This is not custom paint job. There are some silver and black rocksters around. I think they were sold somewhere in Europe but can't remember more details. Enjoy your new ride...
This scheme definitely cane off the line. But its not black. It's like a graphite gray.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I think it's the "last" colour scheme the Rockster was done in. I was under the impression that only a few countries (Switzerland, some Europeans) got it - maybe Canada too? The scheme was only applied to the last year of production. So you've got a very late bike.

Hope you enjoy it!

Re the wind-screen - get yourself an old (new?) helmet visor and some industrial strength double-sided sticky pads.... ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I've seen that paint scheme before as well. I think it was only in Europe. I thought the silver bits were white on the pictures I've see before. Could be wrong....it was a while ago.
Buckster '03R
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Welcome G.A.!

Your Dad took pics of my screen Saturday at Natural Bridge. Nice guy.

Be aware that Rockster and Roadster headlights are different, the Rockster guys here can guide you though.
Be warned, picking the right windscreen is harder than picking a wife.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /2136/246/
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
MongooseGA
Basic User

Post by MongooseGA »

sjbmw wrote:Welcome G.A.!

Your Dad took pics of my screen Saturday at Natural Bridge. Nice guy.

Be aware that Rockster and Roadster headlights are different, the Rockster guys here can guide you though.
Be warned, picking the right windscreen is harder than picking a wife.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /2136/246/

Hey there, I assume you're Herb. I think all I want is a little lip for the screen. I'm really not a fan of the huge touring rally screens on these bikes. I've been eyeing the Laminar model.

For production date, she's an 11/04. Not sure if that sheds any light for anyone. I'm becoming more and more curious what the deal is with this thing
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Just for reference - this is what I mean by the visor/screen - it works well. :)

Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
jobooth321
Basic User

Post by jobooth321 »

I like the paint scheme AND the mystery behind it! Just gives it more mystique and personality. Enjoy!
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx
MongooseGA
Basic User

Post by MongooseGA »

Herb- I like that more than the Laminar. Looks a little less conspicuous, which is something I want to keep for the Rockster's style.

I had my local Beemer store run the VIN for me yesterday. Same thing- no information in the U.S. database whatsoever. He recommended that I call BMW international and try to get in touch with customer support (?) and see where I can go from there.
v2mac
Basic User

Post by v2mac »

Welcome MongooseGA. Enjoy your Rockster and don't be too alarmed by some of the problems encountered by some members on here, the vast majority of us are very satisfied with our bikes, others have not been so fortunate.

I thought you may be interested to see the screen as fitted to my son's Rockster, it is from a GS1150 and is mounted to the standard headlamp supports. I could take some closeup pics if you are interested.

I hope the link below works, it's the first time I've tried to add a pic to a forum.

jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

No worries, the spammer will be gone soon.

Congrats on the "gray" market Rockster. LOLz! I crack myself up sometimes.

Kidding aside, that bike is a real head turner, congrats! Rarer on this side of the pond than even the 2006 R1150GSA. Keep it in good shape, a potential collector's item in the future. Welcome and enjoy!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

v2mac wrote:
I hate to be picky - but those panniers aren't on properly.

The "foot" on the pillion footpeg mount should be between the two lugs on the pannier - by the looks of them (the angle of the top of the pannier compared to the seat, and looking closely at the lower front of the visible pannier), they're not mounted right. The pannier tops should be flat, not canted.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Use the little red exclamation point on the lower right for spam posts.

Don't quote them, or reply to them, as the links are full of deadly virus'.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
MongooseGA
Basic User

Post by MongooseGA »

Hey all,

So we contacted a dealership in 'Canadia' yesterday and found out that it is in fact a Canadian spec bike. Now the concern that I have is: is my mileage accurate?

The speedometer reads both in MPH and KMH, with MPH being the larger font, predominant measurement. I assume it's pretty simple to swap out clusters in order to register the bike here stateside. However, that new cluster would have had zero miles calculated on it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they all supposed to have the offset colored gauges? Mine has one black and one white.

I'm out of town until next week, but when I get home I'm going to mark the odometer with a GPS to see whether it measures in miles or kilometers. I'm wondering if I should also call DMV to find out any additional info on its US registration. Any other places I should look to figure everything out with this bike?
GlennM86
Basic User

Post by GlennM86 »

Hey G.A.,

Your speedo is accurate within 1-2 mph. I clocked it next to a car today.
MongooseGA
Basic User

Post by MongooseGA »

GlennM86 wrote:Hey G.A.,

Your speedo is accurate within 1-2 mph. I clocked it next to a car today.

Does the ODO record in miles or KMs?
GlennM86
Basic User

Post by GlennM86 »

[quote=Does the ODO record in miles or KMs?[/quote]

MPH