Engine guards for the Rock! Which to buy

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Glaber
Basic User

Engine guards for the Rock! Which to buy

Post by Glaber »

I've been looking at a few different brands but just wanted to make sure I knew what all the options are. Also, what your opinions are on the dimensions and overall protection. A balance of style & functionality is preferable, also wouldn't say no to black powdercoating

Here are the Z-Technik's
http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/ ... del=bm-025

SW-Motech
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... w/412/204/

Wunderlich
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 4-830.html

Leaning towards the Wunderlich's as I like the looks and a few guys on here have mentioned good protective qualities

Haven't checked the price on BMW OEM Guards but am thinking their prices may be ridiculous
DatOrg7590

Re: Engine guards for the Rock! Which to buy

Post by DatOrg7590 »

You may also want to look at the Hepco-Beckers.
"I choose to ride...God chooses the weather."
75 R90S
80 R100T-79 Velorex
04 Rockster E80
jas
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by jas »

my vote is for ztechnik. Best of all, beemerboneyard has a great deal on them.
2004 Roc.
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

jas wrote:my vote is for ztechnik. Best of all, beemerboneyard has a great deal on them.
Well. they certainly look the best, unless you want to transform your bike into some kind of stock-car
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

If you're worried about cosmetic damage from a tipover, get the plastic OEM drop guards.

If you do get in something worse, it is easy enough to replace scarred cylinder covers through beemerboneyard, etc Why add all that extra weight "just in case?"

P
spoon
Basic User

Post by spoon »

The wind blew mine over the other day and with the factory protectors the valve covers got crunched. A little more protection is not a bad idea. One consideration is some of the tube protectors have to be removed to get the valve covers off. I think SW moto protectors can stay in place for that operation.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Lion_Lady wrote:If you're worried about cosmetic damage from a tipover, get the plastic OEM drop guards.

If you do get in something worse, it is easy enough to replace scarred cylinder covers through beemerboneyard, etc Why add all that extra weight "just in case?"

P
Means you can ride home.... ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Glaber
Basic User

Post by Glaber »

I had a more in-depth look (google search :D ) at a few of those crash bars. Have to say... the Ztechnik's look the best IMO. However, according to a post at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51281 they are made to break off in a crash? Different model bike but I'm assuming it follows suit for the Rock.
The Motech's are good, sadly it doesn't look like the 1200 http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecat ... /3076/204/ If I can find someone to powdercoat them black on the cheap it's a contender.
The Hepco Becker's definitely look sturdy. Not so sexy but they could probably take a bear in an even fight.

Oh and good one on the beemerboneyard recommendation! Will let you guys know how things turn out, thanks for the input so far everybody.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Would you folks with various types/brands of guards comment about the guard attachment points?

Aside from differences in aesthetics, I'm very interested in which points on the engine are used for crash guard attachment. The oilhead motor offers many potential fixtures, and I'm curious what you all think are the best options for crash damage control.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

riceburner wrote:
Lion_Lady wrote:If you're worried about cosmetic damage from a tipover, get the plastic OEM drop guards.

P
Yeah, but if you crash hard enough to damage the cylinder cover that badly, I'd say there are worse things to worry about. ;)

P
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Lion_Lady wrote:
riceburner wrote:

P
Yeah, but if you crash hard enough to damage the cylinder cover that badly, I'd say there are worse things to worry about. ;)

P
I've seen the results of a light spill where the the bike had "just" enough momentum to be tipped over further than just resting on the OE plastic guards (it was an R100S for reference, the bike may have been pushed slightly by the car that knocked it over). The mag rocker cover was worn through where it wasn't protected by the OE guard. Otherwise the bike was absolutely fine (bar scratches). The OE guards really are a minimalist gesture at best.

Hence why I have the Stanton head guards. When my 2nd Rockster was wiped out I made sure I swapped them off and re-used them on the 3rd bike! :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
spoon
Basic User

Post by spoon »

Yes, but I don't think the Stantons are available anymore. Or does someone know of a source?
fettler
Basic User

Post by fettler »

spoon wrote:Yes, but I don't think the Stantons are available anymore. Or does someone know of a source?

Steptoe in the UK. Look him up on ADVRider
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

I got the sw motech set from fleabay, have yet to test their crash worthiness, hope to never test them, they seem to mount very solid. I only use them on trips, around here I have the little factory plastic set, which stay on all the time, even with the sw motech, overkill on every thing I do. Cliff W. in western Pa.
diveraymaine
Basic User

Post by diveraymaine »

I just had the Wunderlich black bars put on and they look extremely rugged and the black is a great addition.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Just backing up Lion Lady's take here: the OE Plastic guards do a better than expected job of protecting the heads. I tipped over my Rockster a couple times, and even had a 30 mph slide out another time. The road ground through the guard and nicked the valve covers a bit. If I was going any faster than that... not sure I would be in any shape to keep riding, my ankle was pretty tweaked as it was. I have pictures somewhere...

Keep in mind those bars may need to be removed to do maintenance on the bike involving the valve covers. The plastic covers were a snap to remove and replace. Crash bars? By all accounts they are a major PITA to put back on. All of them, from what I've heard. I have them on my new bike and I wonder if they're worth it.

Just an opinion, best of luck to you to find a solution you are happy with! :D
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster