problem

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

LA
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

problem

Post by LA »

I have not ridden the Rockster for a couple of months. (really hate work sometimes.) It has been on a battery top up charger. Started it yesterday and found it has no horn,no indicators, no headlights. Parking and brake lights work and it starts ok. But the other problem is that after it was running for just 3 to 4 minutes the left hand exhaust pipe was glowing red whilst the right hand side was normal. It seemed to run and start as normal,oil level ok , sounded ok,..............any ideas. Bike is standard except for Remus exhaust which was fitted when new. Low ks (unfortunately) regular service 2000 ks ago. Help is much appreciated as I finally have some time to ride .....why now does this happen!!!!
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Re: problem

Post by jfslater98 »

Sorry to hear that your Rockster is not well. Especially since I'm sure you were looking forward to it after a long stint at work. Batteries die, charger or not. Is it the original battery? If so, by now you've gotten all you're going to get out of it. Even the replacement has an expiry date. Start there, let us know how things turn out. Good luck!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Well I would say that the battery cannot be the problem if there is no horn, no indicator or headlights. The source for this could a faulty cabling caused by tight zip-ties at the cabling in front (around the headlight). Or a broken cable at the ignition switch. Another recommendation (for dummies) would be to check the relevant fuse.

With regards to the left hand exhaust pipe glowing red I have no explanation. The the search function in the forum. I remember not long ago some member had the same problem and there was a discussion around that. Maybe check the seat of your throttle cables as an uneven cabling could certainly cause this.

The battery can certainly die after some time (mine has been on an excellent charger all the time but today I found that the battery hardly cranks the engine hence it has reached EOL. Luckily I already have a LiFePo4 battery lying here and waiting for installation.

Brgds
Oliver
LA
Basic User

Post by LA »

Thanks for the replys.Battery seems ok as the motor starts easily.It is the original. Fuses all ok and wiring seems intact.I will go over the cableties as suggested as they dont have much give....very tight. As you say nothing lasts forever so I will fit a new battery and see how that goes. Have been on to my dealer who suggested same and to reset the management system. As for the other problem they suggested it would probably be fuel contamination....suggested tank cleanout and new fuel and injector clean.
I have an uneasy feeling it will be a trip on a truck to the dealer however.
Lucky I have an older Kawasaki vn800.....not started for 6 months....started first go and then took for 500km ride. Today I realised why I bought the Rockster. I can hardly walk. Vn800 must have the most uncomfortable seat ever made! Makes the Rockster feel like riding on air.
Looks like I will be fitting new battery and doing a tank cleanout this week and see how that goes. If not a fix...to the dealer.
I guess that will teach me to ride the Rockster more often. :cry:
shards
Basic User

Post by shards »

You mentioned you had a Remus exhaust...is that a full system including header pipes? If so, the header pipes will glow red after a prolonged period of idling without airflow. I had a set of Laser headers on a Rockster some years ago and had that happen a lot in bad traffic jams. Seems the aftermarket headers are thin-wall stainless whereas (I believe) the OEM are much thicker ( and heavier, hence the reason why some owners change them). As for the other issues, it must be a wiring problem somewhere...just a case of methodical elimination.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

LA wrote:.... Started it yesterday and found it has no horn,no indicators, no headlights. Parking and brake lights work and it starts ok. But the other problem is that after it was running for just 3 to 4 minutes the left hand exhaust pipe was glowing red whilst the right hand side was normal....
Electrical schematics information from the "BMW Motorrad SLP 2.1" CD-rom (highly recommended, if I haven't already said so a thousand times here), for the EURO/International Model 0308 R1150R Rockster:

The following are NOT powered via Load Relief relay K9120:

F1 (fuse #1): via IGN switch
A9001 instrument panel control unit
A9229 control unit, instrument damping
S9051 Brake light switch, hand (non-ABS)
S9052 Brake light switch, foot (non-ABS)

F2: via IGN switch
A9190 ABS unit
E9013 tail light
E9015 side light (parking)

F3: from battery (+)
A9004 clock
X9321

F5: from battery (+)
A9500 ECU
K9110 engine-electronics relay
X9590

F6: from battery (+)
K9100 fuel pump relay

So, your electrics issues might be associated with a faulty Load Relief relay. Whether or not you have iABS1, your brake lights are working because of power supplied through IGN switch to F1 or F2, then to brake switches via direct connection, or indirectly via the iABS1 module. Bike starts and runs because all the needed systems are external to the Load Relief subordinate circuits. And the stuff that's not working for you is all powered through the Load Relief.

Turn signal module receives power through both IGN switch and Load Relief relay, so a relay problem would account for the lack of indicator operation. Note that the power path from battery (+) to IGN switch to Load Relief relay is not fused, so a broken wire somewhere therein would be a bike killer. But your combination of symptoms points to the Load Relief relay as 1st check.

As for a hot side / cold side engine operation, I had something similar when one of my throttle body nipple caps* went missing. The caps are installed on non-USA bikes which are not equipped with evaporation cannister system (or on US bikes which have been cannister-ectomized like mine)... the missing cap caused lean condition for one cylinder, bike ran poorly, one header got really hot. There's a potential leak at the throttle body inlet gaskets also, as documented by some folks here.

Good luck.

* Alternate parts description: "pasties"
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
LA
Basic User

Post by LA »

Well I finally got some time to spend on the Rockster. Thanks to all those who gave input.
Yes Sweatmark, it was a bad connection in the load relief relay. Cleaned it and reinstalled...now works fine. I bought a spare just in case.Its really amazing how even a little amount of dust/muck can stop contact.
The Remus is just the slipon pipe, but I never noticed it getting as hot in the past. Also both pipes were getting red...I guess I just really only noticed one side more than the other.Appears to have been a bad fuel problem. Drained the tank (fuel was a horrible orange colour and burned like kerosine) ,replaced fuel with new 98 BP and fuel system cleaner. Ran the bike at idle until it heated pipes again...did this a few times until old fuel in lines was gone. All seems good now...back to normal.
Dealer said they have been seeing fuel problems quite a bit lately.In my case I think it was just too old....not enough use.Yet another reason to get out and ride it! Fingers crossed for no more problems!!!
[-o< [-o<
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

Hi LA,

I know this has been a while but I'm having the same problem you had with my Rockster and am planning on cleaning out the old fuel I had in it all winter coming weekend. I have quick connects installed so this should be easy [It rode perfect all last season no problems, apart from my cheap carbon exhaust falling off the bike but that's for another forum]. I noticed you mentioned a fuel system cleaner. Which ones are rated for use with these bikes, do you know? I have BG44K for my car but don't know if it has the 'imprimatur' for the Rockster.

Please advice.

Thank all!
goomicoo
Basic User

Post by goomicoo »

Kobe22 wrote:Hi LA,

I know this has been a while but I'm having the same problem you had with my Rockster and am planning on cleaning out the old fuel I had in it all winter coming weekend. I have quick connects installed so this should be easy [It rode perfect all last season no problems, apart from my cheap carbon exhaust falling off the bike but that's for another forum]. I noticed you mentioned a fuel system cleaner. Which ones are rated for use with these bikes, do you know? I have BG44K for my car but don't know if it has the 'imprimatur' for the Rockster.

Please advice.

Thank all!
Try "Seafoam"
Atlantic Blue
2002 R1150R
The bumble bee's gone
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

+1 for seafoam outstanding stuff.
2004 Roc.
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

... and the results : bad gas! I took off the tank and siphoned out all the old gas, by design I couldn't get to the remnant on the pump side so I ended up taking off the pump plate and siphoning the rest. Bridgette stuttered and died on the first try [Jiffy Tite QC's were a PITA to re-assemble by the way], after some throttle she lit up with a bright smile. My other concern now though is I sense a lot more vibration coming through the frame than usual. Is it just having not ridden her 4 months or is my spider-sense telling me something? Also and disclaimer : this question may end up being a great testament to my incompetence with all things automotive, my old exhaust fell off (long story, carbon-fibre got chewed through somehow by the heat or something and just fell off), the previous owner had changed to a y pipe configuration so I cannot use the old exhaust until I go through labor that seems ill advised to me right now. My old bike was a 600 cc Honda CB 599 (Honda Hornet) with a micron exhaust my question is what serious damage do I pose to the bike (beyond owning it :lol: ) if I slap the Micron slip-on to Bridgette i.e. heat dissipation, power output etc. I haven't found a good enough deal on a used can and can't justify the purchase of a new part right now tho i've been eyeing this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-SYSTEM- ... 637wt_1396stainless steel GPR can for sometime.
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

Hi Kobe22,

Plenty of people seem to have run the stock silencer with a Y-piece - so if you have the original silencer then you could try that (have heard that the y-piece makes the stock can get hotter than usual, but not heard any complaints about fuelling issues).

As for the can you have lying around.... well, as the engine management system has sensors to assist it to sort fuelling and ignition out, then you could fit your Micron slip-on can and try it. But.... you'd have to go for a run and listen to the engine for any pre-ignition or pinking or poor performance, and then it'd be a good idea to remove the main spark plugs to check that the electrodes aren't white, indicating that the fueeling is running weak and overheating the engine (over time you could burn a piston out).

I'm no qualified mechanic or expert - so do this at your own risk :lol: ! But if it was my bike, then I'd probably give this a go (at least till I could sort out something better / more permanent).

All the best. G.
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

Yeah I tried that for a while but the mounting point for the stock silencer does not line up with the original bolt :( on the bike and I'm not that good in fabrication to design a mount - here I'm thinking about welding hooks onto the stock silencer to secure it to the bike such as you find on the aftermarket products. I'll look it over again tonight and possibly submit pictures for ideas.

Yeah some co-workers thought the Micron since it was designed for a lower power bike would 'stress' Bridgette and I'd rather a loud bike than a 'stressed' girlfriend :lol:

Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep y'all posted. Its hard to believe March is almost over and we haven't been out together me and me mistress but ah well!