Tempted to replace the Rock

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Tempted to replace the Rock

Post by riceburner »

and boy, am I.

Had a good look at a R1200R 90th Anniversary today, caught my eye a few weeks ago, and there was a VIP special event at my dealership today so I toddled off to tease them a bit. (I get on VERY well with my dealership!)

It's a very nice looking bike, and although I've not ridden one for a few years (not since they first came out) I know they're a huge jump dynamically from the Rockster.

It's got a 'bobber' (I think) look to it, especially with the sculpted seat, you're much more 'in' the bike. On the Rockster I'm on a half foot either side, on the R12R I'm flat foot and bent knee'd! (do they do a higher seat? worth looking into).

BMW are doing a pretty good 'Lease-purchase' plan too at the moment......

But - my bike rolled over 91,000 this morning (on the way to the MOT which it passed completely), it would be rather special to see it roll over 100K properly......

May be next year.

What could tempt you away from your Rock?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Re: Tempted to replace the Rock

Post by jfslater98 »

I was tempted away by a GS Triple Black. Saw it at the motorcycle show that year and was hooked. At the time, I was able to say truthfully that my knees were done with the bend the Rockster demanded. But had they offered the 90 Ed. 1200R at the time... oooh what a looker. Here, let's soak that in for a moment.

:smt055 I almost didn't make it out of my dealership alive when I saw it either. I guess I have a thing for R bikes with black engine cases.

And it turns out the GS is a much better bike for me, I'm much more confident on it than I was on the Rockster. I do miss the old beast from time to time, especially on long highway runs, it's a much better tourer than the GS. But that's about it in the end, I certainly don't miss the ABS flushes.

Here's my plan: obtain lots of money through unspecified means, purchase larger home with detached garage, purchase 90 edition R, commission Woody to build custom tubeless spoke wheels that match the brass-colored forks, commission a shorty muffler to show off gorgeous new wheels, purchase higher custom seat.

What do you think? Feasible? ;)

Anyway, good luck in your efforts to fight off newbikeitis, that's a tough one to kick.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
Lob
Basic User

Post by Lob »

There's a black K13R calling to me and the wife has said there is no need to sell the Rockster.

But I love it and can't ride two at the same time......decisions decisions!

That R12R looks excellent too. I think they're much lighter, right?
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Lob wrote:There's a black K13R calling to me and the wife has said there is no need to sell the Rockster.

But I love it and can't ride two at the same time......decisions decisions!

That R12R looks excellent too. I think they're much lighter, right?
Yup - I've ridden the early version, only the second bike I've had just 'rotate' around the rear wheel when given a handful of gas when the lights changed! (with the ex on the back!)

Given I'm still having issues with the brakes on my bike......
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life