high milage rokster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

high milage rokster

Post by kirby »

Well I have 140K on the rockster ('04) bought new. Just did heavy maint inspection and all is good. compression 181psi L and 182psi R. Oil consumption about 6 oz between changes. Splines like new and cultch still .300" (I have a new plate on hand and it measures .310) I guess I have been easy on it. All solo and very little stop and go helped too i am sure. Many hours of high speed travel and several track days.
Overall about the best all round machine I have ever owned.
Only not stock parts are staintune exhaust and ohlins shocks.

I'm happy,

cheers
mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Kevster
Basic User

Re: high milage rokster

Post by Kevster »

Mike:

I need to get going and try to catch up........... let's see, just 134,000 to go.

Kevster
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Congrats! Yours seems to be the highest miles (assumed) Rockster on the planet.
Keep riding that bike.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
NorCalSaint
Basic User

Post by NorCalSaint »

VERY nice! Love hearing stories like these because it means I have years of riding mine ahead of me...

Currently just over 7k on my 2004 :)
04 R1150r Rockster
Old - 02 Buell S3T, 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 01 F650GS Dakar, 76 Suzuki TS250
rocky2ie
Basic User

Post by rocky2ie »

Great to hear of Rockster with such high milage. Best fun bike I have ever owned. I would love to know how much play is in your clutch plate when measured with starter removed. Mine has 3 to 4 mm, I don't know if that is excessive or not.
Cheers.
kirby

Post by kirby »

rocky2ie wrote:Great to hear of Rockster with such high milage. Best fun bike I have ever owned. I would love to know how much play is in your clutch plate when measured with starter removed. Mine has 3 to 4 mm, I don't know if that is excessive or not.
Cheers.
Not sure I understand your question. The starter has nothing to do with the clutch!? The pressure plate keeps the plate tight against the flywheel with 0 pressure on the slave cylinder. Sorry.

I pulled the transmission and checked every thing out then measured the thickness of the plate.

cheers
mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:Well I have 140K on the rockster ('04) bought new. Just did heavy maint inspection and all is good. compression 181psi L and 182psi R. Oil consumption about 6 oz between changes. Splines like new and cultch still .300" (I have a new plate on hand and it measures .310) I guess I have been easy on it. All solo and very little stop and go helped too i am sure. Many hours of high speed travel and several track days.
Overall about the best all round machine I have ever owned.
Only not stock parts are staintune exhaust and ohlins shocks.

I'm happy,

cheers
mike
45K more than me! I need to do more riding.....
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
rocky2ie
Basic User

Post by rocky2ie »

Sorry. I meant clutch spline wear, it's discussed here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23084 .
It's probably a hit and miss test anyway. Thanks.
kirby

Post by kirby »

rocky2ie wrote:Sorry. I meant clutch spline wear, it's discussed here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23084 .
It's probably a hit and miss test anyway. Thanks.

Ah, I should of figured that one out! Well the splines looked brand new (input shaft from tranny) I inspected the clutch hub and they looked new.
When the engine is running in neutral there is some clatter but most or all of it is the getrag transmission...pull in the clutch lever and the noise stops for the most part. They don't call the getrag a "box of rocks" for nothing. However its (getrag trans) a tough and very simple transmission.

Like I said before...I'm happy!

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
rocky2ie
Basic User

Post by rocky2ie »

Thanks for your reply. There's no reason why it shouldn't do another 140,000. Ride safe :smt023