ABS Failure! Time to wrench and repair and hear advice.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

ABS Failure! Time to wrench and repair and hear advice.

Post by Hidalgo »

I had a great week end. Last Thursday I ordered the 2 DVD’s from JVB Productions with all the maintenance and basic repairs for my Rockster. They will be here in mid September when he is back in town to ship them. I was/am looking forward to starting to do all service and repairs on my own next month! Rode the bike all day yesterday and had a great time as usual. This morning it was also a GREAT 25 mile ride to work. Lunch time: Not so good. I got the red blinking light from brake malfunction. I was able to ride it to get a bite to eat but braking is significantly slower. Still effective but it’s weak on the back brake and fully stopped using front brakes. I am able to stop fairly well. Just enough to get me home tonight. So, I might think of removing the ABS/Servo assisted system all together which I hear is a popular retrofix for these bikes. Assuming that I will be able to get home today making all successful stops. Any other advice is highly welcome. I have had the bike for less that 400 miles. I was hoping not to do any repairs for at least 6 months.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: ABS Failure! Time to wrench and repair and hear advice.

Post by sweatmark »

Which warning lamp(s)?
What was "red blinking light" frequency in Hertz? http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Possible steps:
Battery.
Other iABS fault troubleshooting.
ABS-maintenance.
ABS removal "retrofix" if necessary.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Thanks for the great link Sweatman. So many choices and variables between models. I am interested in learning more about reseting the ABS but not sure which procedure applies. A few weeks ago it did the blinking red light for literally 10 seconds and it went away. It’s the dash board brake to the far left. I figured it was a check glitch. Has not come back in 300 miles. Today my ride to work was as usual, a great ride with no issues. I went to lunch a few hours later and the light started blinking from the moment I started the bike. I noticed the brakes were hard to press and no sewing machine noise of the ABS servos. Rode it to lunch while the light continued to blink hoping it would go away shortly. It never did. I can stop the bike but requires much thinking ahead and effort. Most of the braking power comes from the hand brake, not the foot blake. The bike has a Lithium battery less than a year old. It’s always plugged into the Battery Tender/Lithium charger nightly, so I doubt it’s a power issue. Thoughts? http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/77/556377/1/16 ... ingRed.jpg
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

OH NO!

did you flush those lines yet?
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Nope. I was waiting on the DVD’s with all the full instructions so I can brave it. It seems they ran 2.5 weeks too late. I believe I will remove the ABS Servo system. A much, MUCH more harder task than I am mentally prepared to do.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Hidalgo wrote:Nope. I was waiting on the DVD’s with all the full instructions so I can brave it. It seems they ran 2.5 weeks too late. I believe I will remove the ABS Servo system. A much, MUCH more harder task than I am mentally prepared to do.

its REALLY not bad. I promise. If you were around to remove a trans for splines... this wont be bad for you.

and we are here to help.

If you want to be SERIOUSLY well versed in BMW abs before you start, just read sweatmark's guide on how he did his rockster.

Mine cost me ZERO dollars. well like 2$ in crimp connectors. and only 1 evening. repurposing relays that are no longer required since theres no servo. here is the link I used for quick reference.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ABS-system

some choose to leave the module, and just remove the servo. I removed the entire deal as in the link. Take time and care when cutting/splicing the wires to make the brake lights work. (see guide below) ITs really not that hard, other than some of the "brown" wires look remarkably similar. there is a wiring guide in that link that is spot on and simple. Ill copy it here:

1) Remove the blue ABS relay from the fusebox. This will extinguish the 'Brake Failure' warning light on the dash and as a bonus can be used to operate the brake light !! (no need for new switches as in other methods )
2) Strip back the sheathing from the ABS multi pin connector - identify wires and connect as follows
a) Grey/White wire (tail light feed) Grey/Black wire (12v feed) cut both and join together - thats your tail light sorted.
b) White/Yellow wire (front brake switch) and Yellow/Green wire (rear brake switch). Cut these two wires and join them to link brake switches
Now the wiring to the redundant 4 pin ABS relay
c) Pin 1 - Connect white/blue wire
d) Pin 2 - connect the THIN solid brown wire in the loom to provide a ground ( careful here - there are several brown wires c/w coloured traces and a Thick brown wire)
e) Pin 3 - Find the Yellow/Black wire and the solid green wire. Cut and connect these together and then to pin 3 of the relay
f) Pin 4 - Connect grey/yellow (tail light feed) to this pin

the is really only 3 basic procedures, but with a bit to do to complete them.

1. remove servo(cutting and splicing wires and relays, the most stressful portion of this)
2. remove secondary brake lines that go INTO the servo. a BIT difficult to fish through the frame
3. reconnect those lines that originally came OUT of servo, directly to brake cylinders. (theres is some finagling here, to make them line up) the rear goes straight into the caliper, very simple. The front, a bit different, has a union on the right side in front of the tank, to locate the lines, so that they align with the forks properly and dont bind. also, some folks replace the lines completely, which isnt bad practice. I might do that as well with stainless lines, but mine looked fine.

sweatmarks incredibly informational post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13571

my thread...crap! appears my photos have been lost though. :(

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34197&start=20
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

fixed photo problem....

:)
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

THIS is a post I will save for years to come. Now, here is my confession. I am an IDIOT. I found what seems to be the problem. Brake switch seems to be sticking. I jiggled and jiggled the brake lever a few times and realized a few things. It was barely touching the handle covers. This may have kept the switch stuck. Also, it did it a few times after I discovered this potential issue and then after additional jiggles to the lever is back to working.
Here is an important question. When all is normal, the red blinking light comes on when you start the bike and it goes away as soon as you have forward movement. Does the panel brake light start blinking really fast at first, then it slows down or does it always start as a slow blinking light?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

youre talking rockster right?

if its the 1150roadster, if they're blinking fast and alternating, there is an error present.

if systems are operating fine, the 2 lights should flash slowly simultaneously, then immediately stop at 3mph.

i think its the same? if it goes out out, all is well?
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

IT’S THE ROCKSTER! The light blinks fast for 3 to 5 seconds and then slows down and acts fine. Perhaps I never noticed it before. http://m7.i.pbase.com/o9/77/556377/1/16 ... Brakes.jpg
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Hidalgo wrote:IT’S THE ROCKSTER! The light blinks fast for 3 to 5 seconds and then slows down and acts fine. Perhaps I never noticed it before. http://m7.i.pbase.com/o9/77/556377/1/16 ... Brakes.jpg
if the light goes out, and you have brakes, and whirring noises. I'd say you are good to go..
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

I AM SO, SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS SITE AND IT’S MEMBERS.
Karamelo
Basic User

Post by Karamelo »

hi Hidalgo,
i ve same problem here, light flashes as soon i switsch on the power and long computer running sounds, but light goes of as soon i put in gear or move the bike.pls explain how to get rid of this, just bought boxter this week and very new, the problem wasn't present when i bought it.

regards,