Greetings from New Zealand

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ashummel
Basic User

Greetings from New Zealand

Post by ashummel »

Kia Ora to all,

Purchased recently a beemer Rockster and really stoked. There are not many around in NZ and love the bike. Cannot afford the R-Nine-T , guess the closest I can get
to a naked beemer bike without getting in trouble with my wife. Can anyone help with some questions pls.

- Previous owner changed the suspension settings and the bike does not feel safe riding in corners and does not handle well. I have changed the settings already but not there yet. What would be the best settings for the front, rebound and rear? I am single rider and only 80kg.

- Any suggestions , tips, recommendations regarding modifications, repairs or maintenance to improve the Rockster or to avoid any problems in the future.

- What would be the best tyre pressure for front / rear.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks . Regards.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Greetings from New Zealand

Post by Buckster »

To be honest with you....if the PO never replaced the shocks, then they are probably worn out. I would(did) change them out. My bike handles so much better. I wish I would have done it sooner.
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Welcome!

Tyre pressures are best checked at the tyre manufacturers website (what tyres are they - you don't say). I tend to use 36psi F, 42psi R (which seems to be the approximate standard for road riding).

Check the wiring around the steering head - if it's cable-tied too tightly, you'll get issues with broken wires in time.

Suspension - I'd suggest going back to 'factory' settings (someone post them please??) and seeing what that feels like, then adjusting from there. You may well find that the rear pre-load has lost it's oil - if you do a search, it's a relatively simple task to re-fill it.

Good luck!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Wooly11
Lifer

Post by Wooly11 »

I just had my rear shock rebuilt/serviced. Previous owner had shortened rear so now back to stock.
Went on a 1500klm ride 2 weeks ago and mucked around with setting a bit
I'm 86kg and was riding 1up with panniers.
Lots of twisties and open roads in equal share and we punted along at a good rate.
I found that tyres are better a little lower, f34/r38 or 40 was good for wet and dry and set both front and rear at 2 1/2 turns from full tight to the right...so therefore 2 1/2 turns back to left. The large adjuster on rear I mucked around a bit more and found that softer meant better in tight (often bumpy) turns. Ended up about mid adjustment on the little scale on the side of adjuster. Hard seems very harsh on the Rockster's OEM shocks so the softer felt like a better, safer, faster option. Also felt good on open roads.
Hope that helps.