Rockster Paint Issues (Input Requested)

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

eburr
Basic User

Rockster Paint Issues (Input Requested)

Post by eburr »

O.K., another old story I am sure. My black and orange Rockster has some paint issues.

1.) First, I think the factory satin/mat black paint on the tank and side covers is much softer and easier to scratch than a good quality gloss paint, and consequently mine has a few minor tank scratches on both the paint and decals from the tank bag the prior owner used.

Has anyone thought of professionally repainting their Rockster in a gloss black finish instead? If so, did or would you keep or lose the tiger stripe decals?
I can live with mine as-is, but was wondering what other folks thought about that. On the other hand, I might also just by a leather tank cover for it and call it good.

2.) One of my blue lower fork legs is bubbling. Not a big deal though. I was thinking of just sanding off the affected area and using a self etching primer over the bare aluminum, then a filling primer and finish with a top coat using the closest automotive rattle can color available at my local auto parts store. But how do those darn fork reflectors come off? Is there a screw under the reflector?

3.) Those darn blue valve covers. Mine are blistering and I have read several reports from others of the paint blistering on not only these bikes, but the GS and GSA's as well. I have a riding buddy that I wrench for who seems to like to rest his bike on it's side several times a season (vertically challenged). On his bike I have had success just sanding, priming and repainting his silver (03' R1150R) covers with stainless steel colored professional Rustoleum each season which has held up amazingly well, with no bubbling, flaking or peeling. And it's not high heat paint either!

I am thinking on the Rockster I will probably need to media blast to get all the old blistering paint off, and then either prime and paint with something locally available at the auto parts store, or have them powder coated. Professional blasting and powder coating would run about $150 US.

What have others done here? And did you keep them blue or go possibly satin black instead? I even have some high heat black wrinkle finish that might look good. Thoughts?
Last edited by eburr on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Rockster Paint Issues (Input Requested)

Post by sweatmark »

Rockster paint and fasteners seem to have suffered from EU regulation that degraded materials, coatings, and surface treatments.

I'm still waiting for a really big valve cover blister to encourage refinishing. Wrinkle black is my intended option. Someone here or elsewhere online used wrinkle with good results. Others have powder coated, etc.

And I'm letting the crap blue paint on forks chip off gradually over time, to reveal nicely oxidized aluminum alloy.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

It's patena chaps, every mark tells its own little story. Repaint it and the story's lost forever.
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

LOL! While I generally agree with the "patina" comment, the anal retentive OCD German heritage in me sometimes has a hard time letting go of trying to make things perfect. In reality, I've found that owning a "less than perfect" car, truck, house, appliance, etc. actually produces much lower stress of ownership than trying to maintain something in pristine and perfect condition. What the heck, it is 12 years old with 28K miles. I should probably save my energy, time and money for the mechanicals, or better yet, my family. I have already changed all fluids, adjusted the valves, thrown away rotted out evap. canister, plugs, removed the dysfunctional servo/ABS unit, installed stainless fuel quick disconnects, inspected the pads, installed a high Viz. LED brake bulb and brake flash controller, detailed the bike, etc. And that was just this last week. Obsessive? No doubt. Maybe new shocks should really come next.
Last edited by eburr on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

eburr wrote:LOL! While I generally agree with the "patina" comment, the anal retentive OCD German heritage in me sometimes has a hard time letting go of trying to make things perfect. In reality, I've found that owning a "less than perfect" car, truck, house, appliance, etc. actually produces much lower stress of ownership than trying to maintain something in pristine and perfect condition. What the heck, it is 12 years old with 28K miles. I should probably save my energy, time and money obsessing on the mechanicals, or better yet, my family. I have already changed all fluids, adjusted the valves, thrown away rotted out evap. canister, plugs, removed the dysfunctional servo/ABS unit, installed stainless fuel quick disconnects, inspected the pads, installed a high Viz. LED brake bulb and brake flash controller, detailed the bike, etc. And that was just this last week. Obsessive? No doubt. Maybe new shocks should really come next.

Keep it functional, keep it happy.

The paint issue are mainly down to EU regs on working conditions effectively barring the use of 'two-pack' paints. So most painting done within the EU is now 'water-based' paints. (and they're much weaker).

I'd recommend a Baglux tank cover - mine never comes off!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote: Keep it functional, keep it happy.

The paint issue are mainly down to EU regs on working conditions effectively barring the use of 'two-pack' paints. So most painting done within the EU is now 'water-based' paints. (and they're much weaker).

Baglux - James, I happened across a nearly new Baglux tank cover in Rockster green/black a few years ago. Need to find matching green/black side covers to complete the look (and repair, since one of my Edition 80 side panels has broken attachment points). Recently received R1150GS engine guards to complete the scrambler-ization of Rockster. Baglux is in your honor, of course.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
riceburner wrote: Keep it functional, keep it happy.

Baglux - James, I happened across a nearly new Baglux tank cover in Rockster green/black a few years ago. Need to find matching green/black side covers to complete the look (and repair, since one of my Edition 80 side panels has broken attachment points). Recently received R1150GS engine guards to complete the scrambler-ization of Rockster. Baglux is in your honor, of course.
Good stuff! Somewhere I've got some pics showing how best to fit it. there's a few tricks that mean you can keep the cover on when you take the tank off.

Mine has been on 2 bikes - it was cut off my 2nd bike, so it's missing some of the straps - but enough were left on to ensure it's held to the tank properly. I only ever use the smallest available bag so the straps aren't stressed overly.

My bag hasn't got the long strap at the front that goes around the headstock, nor the 2 straps at the back that would go around the frame rails. All the others (that hold it to the tank itself) are still there.

:)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

A small detail from a European rider on the issue of the comparatively soft water-based paints, as used by Berlin's totally-automated refinishing robots - see video.
The European Union didn't ban cellulose paints that release complex and dangerous organic compounds into the atmosphere, in order to make working conditions in the plant safer.
No, the booths are entirely sealed as you see from the vid.
They did it in an attempt to reduce the release of harmful OCs into the air that's vented from the booths there, and indeed in the premises of vehicle refinishers e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r--e in Europe.
Please don't believe all you read in the widely-published fascist opinions of the vast band of EU-bashers.
http://www.bmw-werk-berlin.de/en/
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Here's another rather flashier video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTXdqhC ... 1T_WHUIAlw
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Mine is high mileage and has faired well because mostly in arid climates. Ground one down (valve cover) on the track and replace it with new ($$). All and all they have held up good but due to the magnesium (casting) they will corrode eventually.
The best thing for longevity is probably power coating done by a professional with proper prep. I know someone in GA that did that but couldn't get an exact match for the original color.
Its not really noticeable unless parked next to mine and then you can see the slight difference in shade. I managed to get some of the ferro blue some time back while in EU in a small can and just do air brush touch up on the forks.
The soft rubber like black is a bitch to fix without doing the whole thing..not me. My tankbag has warn thru but I just don't let it bother me. I really have never liked bras or tank covers so not an option for me. I will probably keep my rockster till the end not too worried how it looks as long as its mechanically right.
BTW, really like Spain! and the Pyrenees.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

A German pal of mine in Düsseldorf who rides a Rockster had his cylinder lids done in pure white powder-coat. Looks the biz.....
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

What color is the bike? Never have seen a white head cover, that is certainly unique.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Maitre
Basic User

Post by Maitre »

Went to Home Depot, got a couple of cans of matte black spray paint and painted the whole MF'er. looks like a bat in the dark. love it. $7 job.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

trickytree wrote:It's patena chaps, every mark tells its own little story. Repaint it and the story's lost forever.
:D Love it.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

A firm called RS Paints in the UK is an international shipper and supplies these nice little complete kits of the four different colours needed for a Tiger-Stripe Rockster's touch-up jobs.
Excellent colour matching, particularly the two different blues.

I agree about the softness of the black OEM paint in particular. My Italian "Famsa"-brand tankbag, a third of the price of a Bagster, is a help in preventing scratches though. The Bagster Tank Glove on the other hand is the correct solution as it has the special clips built-in to accept the large Bagster tank bag. A total investment of around $400, even thought he securing belts looping under the tank tend to go south after a few years. Cheaply replaced with Chinese gunje.
Harry33
Basic User

Post by Harry33 »

eburr wrote:LOL! While I generally agree with the "patina" comment, the anal retentive OCD German heritage in me sometimes has a hard time letting go of trying to make things perfect. In reality, I've found that owning a "less than perfect" car, truck, house, appliance, etc. actually produces much lower stress of ownership than trying to maintain something in pristine and perfect condition. What the heck, it is 12 years old with 28K miles. I should probably save my energy, time and money for the mechanicals, or better yet, my family. I have already changed all fluids, adjusted the valves, thrown away rotted out evap. canister, plugs, paris taxi Airportremoved the dysfunctional servo/ABS unit, installed stainless fuel quick disconnects, inspected the pads, installed a high Viz. LED brake bulb and brake flash controller, detailed the bike, etc. And that was just this last week. Obsessive? No doubt. Maybe new shocks should really come next.
I agree with you