GS wheels on a Rockster.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: GS wheels on a Rockster.

Post by kirby »

They look good but....
One of the worst things to deal with in the "old" days when I started riding was spokes! I had more trouble with cleaning and maintaining spokes.
I know that the new wheels are stronger and lighter than in the old days, but I didn't like then on my GSs' and my 60 spoke ones on my Austin Healey.
I finally replaced them(on the AH) with modern 72 spooked ones and although they look OK and have had very little maint. problems and they look "right" on a classic Brit car but I absolutely hate!! keeping them clean.
They use them on the GS because of the strength and on the classic sports cars 'cause they look like they belong, like a classic moto.

Hope you enjoy them, they do make the bike stand out.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

sweatmark wrote:.......So, a few months of springtime riding later, any feedback about your GS wheels conversion?
Still delighted with the results. Loving the extra ground clearance and can't believe how the Tourances just seem to keep on gripping.....to the extent that I quite often have to tuck my feet in so as I don't knock them off the pegs. Think this is the first bike I've had and I've run right to the edge of the tyres.
I think it has probably slowed the steering down a bit....last second pot hole dodging needs a pretty hefty push on the bars to change direction quickly enough but I'm used to pretty heavy counter steering from my Harley days and to be fair the bike doesn't seem to mind such rough treatment....(wonder how much that's down to the telelever front end?)
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

kirby wrote:They look good but.....
Agree spokes are a pain to clean but then I'm not much into cleaning so it's no problem to me.....I'm like a rescue home for patina :lol:
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Quite right.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

I hear that the guy in deepest Norwich who bought my first '04 Rockster 3 years ago, Paul Dimaline, has still got it, and has replaced the wheels with spoked GS versions. Any difference in mpg ?
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike