The day has COME! ABS-Servo Flush is upon me!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

The day has COME! ABS-Servo Flush is upon me!

Post by Hidalgo »

I am really stoked about doing this to my 04 Rockster. Finally! I ordered my funnel from Boneyard and I already have watched Jim's DVD 4 times. I have a friend coming to help me Saturday morning.
Any last minute advice? My friend said he would bring a bleeder. I'm not sure it's needed or compatible with the bike. He's an aircraft mechanic and former Chevy service tech so I trust his lead and opinion. We will watch the DVD and follow it step by step. Would I need a bleed adapter! I have seen a few post point it out. I believe I have standard BMW brakes.
Any tips or advice is HIGHLY appreciated.
Is this the "Grub Screw” system?http://m1.i.pbase.com/o9/77/556377/1/16 ... eBleed.jpg
peels
Basic User

Re: The day has COME! ABS-Servo Flush is upon me!

Post by peels »

holy huge pics batman! LOL!

"grub screw" was only on the clutch slave. your pic, that's an actual bleed screw at the caliper.... just get a little clear tubing. stick it on there, and bleed em. they have em on the ABS unit too-(which is what messed me up originally, i didnt have a manual, and didnt know there were multiple lines)

or forget the tube, like me, and just make a mess.

good luck.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

I knew YOU would be the one answering Peels! Thanks for your continuous support! BTW, have you ever used a bleeder? Lastly, I heard someone say that they had their bike connected to the battery tender to avoid draining the battery? Any advice or useful tip/trick is HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks again Peels!
I will take pictures and video clips for sharing.
Gil
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

OF COURSE!

But, I never really did a FULL bleed job on the ABS. I started to. Only did the rear, and it didnt go well(again, because I didnt have correct info) plus the low voltage issues, and the dragging rear brake. So the following weekend, I removed it altogether. I didn't feel comfortable riding it.

no personally, I do not use a vacuum bleeder. I do it the OLE fashioned way. Add fluid, then make my kids squeeze the lever while I release pressure.... the way dad taught me with the cars. "pump em...hold em...pump em...hold em" :) good memories. I would think the vacuum pump would be a cleaner and much faster way to do it on the ABS bikes.

Seems to me a charger would be a smart idea so as not to deplete battery while running the abs. Though I cant imagine it taking SOOO long that would become a BIG issue.

its just you have to do it 4X. for front and rear in and out lines. which is what I wasn't aware of until I started LOL. oops. hit lever, turned screw. ALL the fluid goes FLYING out! ABS pump is pretty strong. :) wasnt ready for that.

heres an ABS guide. i printed this one out...

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

I did it!! I followed all the steps and had some surprises but nothing that I could not figure out. When pumping the front brake and flushing it, the fluid squirted making a mess. We had to hold the cover the MC every time to prevent it from making a mess. We removed the back ABS to be able to put the shims in. Something the video did not show had to be done. All good! Yet, we flushed it! We tested the bike, rode it a few times around the block and had the feeling of victory. Shortly after a few test laps I pumped the front brake and a LOUD squeal similar to the servo noise but much louder high pitched came out that I've never heard before. My mechanic friend said it sounded like air coming out from the servo. It never made the noise again. All in all, I feel empowered. It is a 2 person job for sure. Once again, thanks Peels for all your encouragement!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

EXCELLENT.

odd about that squeal. keep an eye on the fluid levels. :)