Mounting System Case topcase on Rockster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Mounting System Case topcase on Rockster

Post by Xdot »

Similar post in R1150R:

I'm preparing for a big move and am consolidating four bikes into two. (See sig for current machines.) The TR650 and the TE250 are turning into a medium dual sport, possibly a Husky 501. We'll see. The RT and GS are turning into an '04 Rockster with but 14K on the odo. Long story short: I'm tired of windscreens and their buffeting and both of these bikes have that in spades. The Rockster has, by all accounts, the smoothest air coming over the headlight/gauges. Plus, I want something with a bit of offroad capability and better brakes and suspension than the old GS. However, I like to have a topcase. I have a full set of System Cases from an '02 R1150RT that I'm going to use on the Rockster (with some slight mods for the large left-hand case, or a cut-in left-hand case.) Question: Is there an OEM solution for mounting the System Case topcase on a Rockster/R1150R? It sort of looks like that triangular, silver luggage plate that mounts between the saddlebag mounts might accept the topcase. If not, I have a mount from an RT and I'm a good fabricator. Still, prefer an OEM solution if there is one.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Mounting System Case topcase on Rockster

Post by riceburner »

I mounted a 'System' topbox on my Rockster a couple of years ago. See pics here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockburne ... 2402529933

If you want my mounts, let me know, I'm not using them any more.

The silver luggage rack is NOT going to accept the case, but you can improvise. There isn't an OEM solution for mounting the top-box to the R1150R/Rockster.

Re the panniers - just take the OE exhaust off and mount a 'tip' to the catalyser box exit - it works perfectly and makes rear-wheel removal FAR easier. :)

Re Off-road - your R100GS will probably be better off road than the Rockster. The Rockster is a mix of R1100S and R1150R, the only GS parts are the headlight units and the short top gear (from the 1150Adv). I HAVE taken a Rockster off-road and it's fine (if you know what you're doing), but don't expect it to be any better than any other normal ROAD bike. The carbon front mudguard especially can get full of mud and trap the front wheel.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I'd certainly like to talk to you about your top case mounts. that's nice fabrication work and pretty much how I do it, too. I already have the RT mounting plate so am ready to go. Are those aluminum or steel? If this wasn't going to work, as you said it won't, I'm prepared to fabricate. I've done a lot of that but always lean towards OEM for time purposes.

Replacing the rear seat with the cover and mounting the bag there certainly gives you some storage space. With that and saddlebags you could bring a couch and generator along.

Removing the can... I've got to think that makes for a pretty loud bike. I've gotten older and prefer quieter these days. :smt113

Regarding the GS vs Rockster off road, that goes along with what I was thinking. I'm not contemplating anything other than dirt and gravel roads. I just really don't like taking the RT off-road. The weight, handling, plastics, ground clearance, etc. I may, and I do mean may, find or fab a set of slightly larger diameter spoked wheels and do a few other things to make it slightly more off-road worthy. I don't now if GS spoked wheels would fit (I bet they would) but there is always Woody's ($$$). A Rockster is never going to be a dirt bike but it can be made to be a little better. I plan on pairing it with a Husqvarna 701 or 501 for actual ADV/DualSport motorcycling.

For what it's worth, the GS wasn't very good offroad either. Pretty much depending entirely on tires.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Xdot wrote:I'd certainly like to talk to you about your top case mounts. that's nice fabrication work and pretty much how I do it, too. I already have the RT mounting plate so am ready to go. Are those aluminum or steel? If this wasn't going to work, as you said it won't, I'm prepared to fabricate. I've done a lot of that but always lean towards OEM for time purposes.
They're steel 2 or 3mm thick, a neighbour with access to a plasma cutter cut them out for me.
Xdot wrote: Replacing the rear seat with the cover and mounting the bag there certainly gives you some storage space. With that and saddlebags you could bring a couch and generator along.
The main thing about my rig was the little rack mounted to the pillion plate - so I could tie things to the rack and left lift the whole assembly off to access the under-seat storage without untying anything.
Xdot wrote: Removing the can... I've got to think that makes for a pretty loud bike. I've gotten older and prefer quieter these days. :smt113
It's a LOT quieter than you'd expect - the catalyst box does the vast majority of the 'silencing' and I'd say it's only about 5-10% louder than stock.
Xdot wrote: Regarding the GS vs Rockster off road, that goes along with what I was thinking. I'm not contemplating anything other than dirt and gravel roads. I just really don't like taking the RT off-road. The weight, handling, plastics, ground clearance, etc. I may, and I do mean may, find or fab a set of slightly larger diameter spoked wheels and do a few other things to make it slightly more off-road worthy. I don't now if GS spoked wheels would fit (I bet they would) but there is always Woody's ($$$). A Rockster is never going to be a dirt bike but it can be made to be a little better. I plan on pairing it with a Husqvarna 701 or 501 for actual ADV/DualSport motorcycling.

For what it's worth, the GS wasn't very good offroad either. Pretty much depending entirely on tires.

As said - the main issue with the Rockster off-road is the carbon front mudguard.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

I've never liked the concept of a big tall heavy box stuck out at the back of the bike, outside the wheelbase, which surely has bad affects on high-speed handling and overall stability.
When I bought my second year-04 Rockster I immediately removed its expensive SW-Motech top-box mounting plate and rails and sourced the original curvy pillion handles set from "that" auction site. My touring luggage now goes in either a capacious tank-mounted Baglux or a pillion-seat mounted trunk-bag if I'm riding solo. Plenty of room for hotel touring. Obviously not enough though for you campers...
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I've been using a TopBox for the past 15 years or so on both Rockster and K1200R (same box ;) ), and if anything, it makes the bike more stable at speed.

The Rockster, with OE panniers fitted and no topbox will 'weave' gently above 3 figures (mph) because the air-flow around the panniers. With the topbox on, the topbox serves to smooth the airflow that is coming off your body and provides a stabilisation effect. :)

I take the point about it seeming to be weird to have the extra mass outside the wheelbase, but it's a relatively small amount of mass (maximum 10Kg* on a 300Kg+ mass so it's less than 1% of the overall)

* - most topboxes and racks are 'rated' at about 5Kg afaik.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I wound up finding an OEM rear luggage rack. As the stock, curved plate is no good for mounting the kind of case I wanted, I made a new plate out of a plastic cutting board. The mount for the R1150RT system case bolted right to it. Works like a charm.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Hi riceburner,
Good point - I never thought the sticky-out topbox would smooth the airflow as you suggest. I was going off the sad tale of the police PanEuropean Hondas that crashed a couple of patrol riders years ago when fully loaded. The massive amount of weight carried in their side panniers destabilised their bikes during high-speed crimi-chases and killed the guys on two separate occasions. Thus Honda patrol bikes in the UK are since then like hens' teeth. All Beemers, usually.

If Xdot hasn't already relieved you of your spare bespoke topbox rack brackets, I'll buy them off you and pay the trans-Atlantic shipping. PM me if they're still available.
AL in s.e. Spain - and in mid- to late-April in the UK once more.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Xdot wrote:I wound up finding an OEM rear luggage rack. As the stock, curved plate is no good for mounting the kind of case I wanted, I made a new plate out of a plastic cutting board. The mount for the R1150RT system case bolted right to it. Works like a charm.

Any photos? Sounds similar to the install I have for my Givi topbox. The main issue with the BMW OE RT topbox is it's strange shape.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sykospain wrote:Hi riceburner,
Good point - I never thought the sticky-out topbox would smooth the airflow as you suggest. I was going off the sad tale of the police PanEuropean Hondas that crashed a couple of patrol riders years ago when fully loaded. The massive amount of weight carried in their side panniers destabilised their bikes during high-speed crimi-chases and killed the guys on two separate occasions. Thus Honda patrol bikes in the UK are since then like hens' teeth. All Beemers, usually.

If Xdot hasn't already relieved you of your spare bespoke topbox rack brackets, I'll buy them off you and pay the trans-Atlantic shipping. PM me if they're still available.
AL in s.e. Spain - and in mid- to late-April in the UK once more.

I know about the police crashes - they're mostly because of the sheer amount of weight the police tend to carry in the panniers, and they're invariable not balanced (hard to split a large radio unit across the bike). IIRC the Pan's also weren't terribly well balanced, fore-aft, tending to be light on the front even before the extra weight was added. The BMs tend to be front biased as standard (I think), so take weight to the rear a little more easily). (My gut feel as well is that telescopic forks don't help, whereas Telelever simply doesn't give a poo. ;) :D ).

Funnily enough - we're in Spain right now...... but the parts are in the UK. :D

I'll try to dig them out when we're back in May if I can find them. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Andrew s
Basic User

Post by Andrew s »

Ricey, like your made up luggage rack for the BMW case.

Unfortunately just seen it after buying a Givi mount and Givi metal Trekker topbox, which is being delivered today.

Just started riding my Rockster again after only doing 1 mile on it in the last 3 years (to get it MOT'd).
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Andrew s wrote:Ricey, like your made up luggage rack for the BMW case.

Unfortunately just seen it after buying a Givi mount and Givi metal Trekker topbox, which is being delivered today.

Just started riding my Rockster again after only doing 1 mile on it in the last 3 years (to get it MOT'd).

The Givi stuff is perfectly fine I believe, and you'll have the benefit of being able to unlock the box from the rack much more easily (I have to undo 4 bolts).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Syko - I forgot to look for the RT mounting plates when I went into the garage, but I'll be going in again before we head back across the channel.

If you PM me your address, I'll see about sending them.

Alternatively - if you're not in any rush, and you're up for a bit of a ride, we're going to be housesitting in SW France for most of 2019 (in various places), you could always come and collect. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

As Andrew pointed out, the massive Italian GIVI / KAPPA combine still lists a top-box mounting kit for fixing to the the top edge of the curvy OEM Rockster pannier rails, with twin bars that loop underneath the winker pods for extra support. Solid as the proverbial.
viz :-
Andrew s
Basic User

Post by Andrew s »

Fitted the box and rack, really pleased with it.

riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

riceburner wrote:Syko - I forgot to look for the RT mounting plates when I went into the garage, but I'll be going in again before we head back across the channel.

If you PM me your address, I'll see about sending them.

Alternatively - if you're not in any rush, and you're up for a bit of a ride, we're going to be housesitting in SW France for most of 2019 (in various places), you could always come and collect. ;)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Syko, REALLY sorry, but I didn't get a chance to dig around in the garage for the mounting brackets for you. Really sorry about that. :( (To be honest, I have a nasty feeling they're buried under something anyway - the garage is almost full of all our worldly belongings).

:(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life