Brake Pad Replacement with ABS

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ashummel
Basic User

Brake Pad Replacement with ABS

Post by ashummel »

Greetings from New Zealand,

I own a Rockster with ABS and it is my first bike with ABS. I normally always changed the brake pads on my bikes but I am a bit worried I will mess things up with the ABS system and it will cost me even more money to get it fixed after. There are videos on the net where people just change the rockster brake pads by pushing in the pistons etc. like with other bikes and not touching the ABS system at all. Is this possible or recommended ?
What would be the best way to change the pads and mostly what things do I have to watch out not to screw up the ABS system.

Thanks for your help. Regards.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Brake Pad Replacement with ABS

Post by sweatmark »

Easy. Just change the pads! No required interaction with Integral ABS at all.
And pad changes are simple with the BMW calipers.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

very easy to just change the pads! cant really mess that part up(though I did once lol) but its not a bad idea to bleed the system, or flush it when doing the pads.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
BMW3

Post by BMW3 »

I bleed the system every two years.. the IBMWR has an excellent article on how to do so. But is it just me or do the rears wear far more than you think they should?
Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Xdot »

If your pads are wearing quickly it is likely you need to clean up the pistons in your calipers. They tend to accumulate gunk over time and no longer slide in and out like they are designed to do. You might also check to make sure that your retaining pin is clean and lightly greased. But honestly, it is probably the pistons hanging up. Of course, taking the calipers off and disassembling is going to require a full, and I mean FULL, bleed. I haven't done it yet but I need to. The whole job is lightyears easier with a speedbleeders installed at every caliper.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster