Getting The Subframe Up!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Getting The Subframe Up!

Post by Xdot »

I also posted this in the R1150R forum as it pertains to both.

So, I've dived into the clutch slave cylinder replacement on my 80th Anniversary '04 Rockster. I have a new one on the way from Beemer Boneyard. Supposedly an upgraded version that the guy on the BMW service videos says has a better record of not failing.

First order of business was to remove the rear wheel. Then took out the rear shock. Made it easier to remove the exhaust can so I did that. Definitely not enough room to get to it so I checked my Clymers and it said to pull the footrest brackets so I did that. I've been in the 1150 community for about ten years now and it has become clear to me that the only way I'm going to get to this is to lift the subframe like I've seen people do. I've seen a lot of pictures of R1150's with their ass in the air like a whitetail.

Next step was to pull the tank and remove the side panels so I did that. Found a screw in the airbox that I took out. Removed the screw holding the rear brake line to the subframe. Did a little pushing and pulling to try to figure out what needed to happen next. I do see that the subframe is connected under the ABS module by four bolts which does not a rotational hinge make. My choice would be the lower 8mm hex key bolts so the subframe could clear the airbox. By then it was getting late and the leader of the free world was about to do his thing so I knocked off.

Any advice on what else I need to do to get the subframe up? There does look to be a little interference between the airbox and the upper shock mount. May need to pull the seat mounts. There.

My guess is that if I knew all these steps without figuring them out along the way I could probably get the subframe up in 45 minutes. Only takes about ten minutes to get the tank off and that's mostly dealing with all those little screws. I do have some brass quick-disconnects on the way from the Boneyard with my new slave cylinder. Looking at having a better bike when all is said and done and I do like learning about my mount.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
peels
Basic User

Re: Getting The Subframe Up!

Post by peels »

adding to your other post. no need to raise subframe for slave. but, in case. big hexbolts... theres six of them I think, then footpeg mounts...(dont forget to unplug rear brake light switch lol)

think you got everything...

quick warning. if you search out my threads, youll find one where I lost my fuel pump... turns out, when I was putting frame back together, I realized I mised something, yanked back up on the subframe, and unseated a plug(i didnt know was there) that goes through the kickstand/safety circuit. spent a day+ on that nonsense after I put it back together it wouldnt run. HAHA
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Getting The Subframe Up!

Post by sykospain »

Have you seen THE video on this clutch-access topic ?
Here it is on the Toob...

https://youtu.be/cGf-tWobwEg

Edited by AL from a few different videos by Chris Harris - I swear he's the go-to guy for this job - no, sorry, HE swears....

AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike